Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, so last week i started hearing this ticking noise under the hood, i thought it was because i washed the van from all the salt and maybe something froze under the hood because of the frigid temps we've been having... this week its nice and warm and the noise is still there. I went to my mechanic today and he said its an engine lifter. Have any of you had any issues with this, or have any info/insight to this: how long did it take the dealer to fix, did the ticking go away, etc.... to make matters worse, the dealer only give out dodge dart and the c200 as a loaner, i need a cargo van for rental because i deliver bread with this van

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked through it, and private messaged the guy.. still waiting for a response. there was really no answer in that message thread, I added some oil stabilizer and still no difference, I'm thinking of doing an oil change and maybe that will do the trick... still open to input from anyone

·
Registered
473 Posts
Since this engine doesn't have lifters it can't be that. The cam drives a roller "follower" that drives the valves. A very stable valve train design.

The noise could be several things including fuel injectors.

I would change the oil immediately and would never add anything to the oil. The oil passages in these engines are very small and any additive could compromise the lubricating system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since this engine doesn't have lifters it can't be that. The cam drives a roller "follower" that drives the valves. A very stable valve train design.

The noise could be several things including fuel injectors.

I would change the oil immediately and would never add anything to the oil. The oil passages in these engines are very small and any additive could compromise the lubricating system.
thank you i had no idea that this engine doesn't have lifters, I will change the oil asap more than likely on wednesday. I will call the dealer and set up an appointment, however the next available one is in a week or so, but when it comes to loaners they can only give me a dodge dart, which is useless to me for delivering bread. does dodge really not loan any cargo vans??

i don't know if this will make a difference but... when you raise the rpms the ticking gets faster

·
Registered
63 Posts
hey guys, so last week i started hearing this ticking noise under the hood, i thought it was because i washed the van from all the salt and maybe something froze under the hood because of the frigid temps we've been having... this week its nice and warm and the noise is still there. I went to my mechanic today and he said its an engine lifter. Have any of you had any issues with this, or have any info/insight to this: how long did it take the dealer to fix, did the ticking go away, etc.... to make matters worse, the dealer only give out dodge dart and the c200 as a loaner, i need a cargo van for rental because i deliver bread with this van
If you have a business tax number you can sign up for business link. One of the perks is a free rental from enterprise. Call your dealer and ask for whoever handles commercial or business link and they should be able to get you signed up. another perk is next bay availability. Business gets priority service as we should.

·
Super Moderator
9,090 Posts
Does anyone know if the business link program is vehicle specific program? I signed up 11 years ago when I bought my Sprinter from a different Dodge dealer than my Promaster. I never hear anything from them at all about Business Link any more and didn't even approach them when buying my Promaster as they had no vehicles on site that I had any interest in. They would always give me a 10% discount on Sprinter parts however which wasn't too bad and they were cheaper to buy thru Dodge than MBZ dealers!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have a business tax number you can sign up for business link. One of the perks is a free rental from enterprise. Call your dealer and ask for whoever handles commercial or business link and they should be able to get you signed up. another perk is next bay availability. Business gets priority service as we should.
i need your help @ericsram... I've been on the phone today, literally all day.. my dealers service manager has no idea what business link is, he also told me that they do not offer cargo vans as a loaner, regardless of business link or not. I called my salesman, and he said that he has no idea what business link, but he will find out and get back to me. Now i have a few questions... do i only need a tax id #? will i need to reregister my car and get new plates? once i am registered, how do i go about getting a cargo van free rental from enterprise??? do i go through the dealer, do i have to go about it and contact enterprise myself?? any info would be greatly greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,378 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so i went to my dealer today and the service manager heard my ticking, and said that i can drive my van around with the ticking and nothing will happen nor will it damage the engine... is this true??? i also found a dealer that sell/services the promaster and has cargo vans as loaners, i spoke with a guy there and he said that since i am not there customer he can fix the car, but he won't give me a cargo van as a loaner because I'm not his customer!!!! what the ****???

·
Registered
473 Posts
so i went to my dealer today and the service manager heard my ticking, and said that i can drive my van around with the ticking and nothing will happen nor will it damage the engine... is this true??? i also found a dealer that sell/services the promaster and has cargo vans as loaners, i spoke with a guy there and he said that since i am not there customer he can fix the car, but he won't give me a cargo van as a loaner because I'm not his customer!!!! what the ****???
It probably is true. The ticking I hear in my engine is almost positively fuel injectors. And I'll bet that is what yours is...can't really be sure 'cause I have not heard yours.

As far as the dealership goes...they kinda sound like pricks! I've used 3 dealerships... The one I bought it from, and 1 that is close to where I live and 1 that is close to where I worked. None of them questioned weather I was their customer. The one close to where I lived asked me why I didn't buy from them and I told them the truth. The only extended van in Colorado was at the dealership that I bought it. And when I came in to their dealership to check out the vans that they did have their salespeople were too busy to hep me. Damned shame for them as I had a pocketfull of cash.

I would call Chrysler direct and have them call the dealership that you want to work with and arrange a loaner van.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It probably is true. The ticking I hear in my engine is almost positively fuel injectors. And I'll bet that is what yours is...can't really be sure 'cause I have not heard yours.

As far as the dealership goes...they kinda sound like pricks! I've used 3 dealerships... The one I bought it from, and 1 that is close to where I live and 1 that is close to where I worked. None of them questioned weather I was their customer. The one close to where I lived asked me why I didn't buy from them and I told them the truth. The only extended van in Colorado was at the dealership that I bought it. And when I came in to their dealership to check out the vans that they did have their salespeople were too busy to hep me. Damned shame for them as I had a pocketfull of cash.

I would call Chrysler direct and have them call the dealership that you want to work with and arrange a loaner van.
thats exactly what i am going to do, i will post a video tomorrow. today at work, at one of my stops there is a mechanic shop, and i went up to them and had a third mechanic listen and tell me that it sounds like a lifter/valve. He told me that it should stop on its own, and if it doesn't that i should take it to the dealer. He did tell me, as well as the other two mechanics that driving the car with the ticking won't damage anything... so at least thats a relieve. my worry is that ill leave the car for service, and it'll be sitting there for weeks like I've heard on here already, and easter is around the corner and thats going to be my hectic week for loading the car to the very max with breads and all kinds of baked goods

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
havent poseted an update in a while, but i took the car to the dealer for the engine ticking as well as: rear bushing being very noisy, 3 open recalls, brake noise, and i feel the transmission is jerky or its the brakes catching when your coming to a stop. the dealer had called me back already about the engine ticking and informed that need "rocker arms" need to be ordered. all the other issues will be addressed after the engine work is done. As far as me not getting a cargo van as a loaner, i called corporate and complained that my original dealer has no idea what business link is and therefore i can't be signed up for it and they are giving me a run-around;another dealer told me "we have cargo vans as loaners but you're not my customer so i can't give you one" after complaining about this to corporate, they said just get a rental from enterprise and we will reimburse you 100%

·
Registered
3 Posts
havent poseted an update in a while, but i took the car to the dealer for the engine ticking as well as: rear bushing being very noisy, 3 open recalls, brake noise, and i feel the transmission is jerky or its the brakes catching when your coming to a stop. the dealer had called me back already about the engine ticking and informed that need "rocker arms" need to be ordered. all the other issues will be addressed after the engine work is done. As far as me not getting a cargo van as a loaner, i called corporate and complained that my original dealer has no idea what business link is and therefore i can't be signed up for it and they are giving me a run-around;another dealer told me "we have cargo vans as loaners but you're not my customer so i can't give you one" after complaining about this to corporate, they said just get a rental from enterprise and we will reimburse you 100%

Sorry to bring back this old topic, but I'm curious if you have fixed the issue with the noise?? My ProMaster has the same thing (ticking noise) but it reacts to RPMs (higher = more ticking and vice versa)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts