Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few posts that suggested a gas PM could/should run for extended periods at idle. On a hot Florida day, can I run the engine at idle and run the ac for extended periods. My alternative of course is a generator and ac but if I only need to do it a few times a year, I was thinking why not just run the PM and keep the ac on......
anyone done that research? links?
thanks!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am doing just that. My summer travels are in the north and I only need AC very seldom, usually just a couple of hours in the early evening. Very occasionally I also run to charge batteries. I have no need for a gen set or a roof mounted AC unit. I do have two Maxxair vent fans and I find that running them on 30% speed, one in and one exhaust, gives me a breeze through the van. I have had no engine problems from idling for long periods -- a practice not recommended for diesels.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have left mine run for up to an hour. Today I was on a service call and ambient temp was 95 degrees. I had no issues today or in the past. Not real sure what your definition of extended time is.

Dale

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
extended time for me may be 8-10 hours while at the beach so my wife has a safe place to go
was wondering if anyone has done it in such a harsh environment for say all day

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have left mine run for up to an hour. Today I was on a service call and ambient temp was 95 degrees. I had no issues today or in the past. Not real sure what your definition of extended time is.

Dale
thats good to know, thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am doing just that. My summer travels are in the north and I only need AC very seldom, usually just a couple of hours in the early evening. Very occasionally I also run to charge batteries. I have no need for a gen set or a roof mounted AC unit. I do have two Maxxair vent fans and I find that running them on 30% speed, one in and one exhaust, gives me a breeze through the van. I have had no engine problems from idling for long periods -- a practice not recommended for diesels.
that would be my strategy in the north also
the south is a whole different animal!
when I lived in california, I think I put 100 hours on my genny in 8 years
now, in Florida, I have 1200 hours on my RV genny in 6 years!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts