Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have (8) promasters in our fleet. Recently we had a 2018 Promaster 500 (our only 1500) incur complete engine failure at 67,000 miles. Currently it is at a dealer, and we have been given an estimate of approximately $17k to repair the issues and replace the engine. We have been working with Ram trying to get them to cover the repairs (or at least offer some aid) since it is only 7,000 miles past warranty. But it isn't looking good.

Anyone have experience getting warranty support in a similar situation? We learned that this model had a Engine Cooling Fan recall (which had not been completed). I'm curious if the recall item could be partially responsible for the engine failure. Anyone else have premature engine failure on their promaster?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,003 Posts
and your dealer is ripping you off,

a $17k quote is I don't need your business but if you're will to pay $17k we're your shop, happy to help

@RamCares

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
We learned that this model had a Engine Cooling Fan recall (which had not been completed). I'm curious if the recall item could be partially responsible for the engine failure. Anyone else have premature engine failure on their promaster?
IIRC the main cooling fan issue was the van catching fire. Even if it didn't cause a fire, it would have to overheat the engine to cause engine damage. Where there signs of overheating before engine failure?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Phil is right about them ripping you off.

It could also be that they're setting the stage for an offer of "We'll do you a favor and take it off your hands as-is for $5000 trade-in value if you buy this nice new van over here......" Then they'll fix it in their spare time and resell it for a nice profit.

·
Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
652 Posts
I'm assuming with a fleet of vans you have a mechanic close by or on site for maintenance , interested to see what they say about this failure .

·
Registered
84 Posts
Particularly since it is a work van and not “your baby”, you could find a local, full capability, repair shop and get an estimate to replace with a used engine. If you really don’t want to get away from a dealer for some reason, find out exactly what the quote is for. “Replace the engine“ typically means installing a remanufactured “long block” and using your existing other parts, but maybe there is more to it in your particular case. Then call a couple other dealers to get quotes. $17K seems ridiculously high, even given the extensive labor involved, given that a full warranty, factory remanufactured long block for a PM, pn R8259595AB, is $4970 at full retail.

·
Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
348 Posts
I've had the impression my 2018 gasser runs hot, just anecdotally. The fan seems to kick on frequently, even in cool ambient air. The only car I've had that runs hotter was an Audi S4 with twin turbos (and its own bucket of problems). I'll definitely research the recall since I bought it used with only 400 miles from a Toyota dealership. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, not that it really matters, but what actually happened to the engine? Could you hear something wrong before it blow up? Did the motor actually freeze Up?
No, the engine sounded fine and wasn't overheating. It was taken in for an oil change about a week before christmas, and was running fine, then after christmas break, the isssue came up when trying to start, It had probably been sitting for a few days. I think it would start, but not positive on that. After a whole debacle I dont want to get into, and towing it to another dealer, our ram customer care rep has submitted the repairs for review, I got the feeling from her, this is a known issue with the 1500s. Last I heard, was it was it was related to and oil pump failure (recall item?). Wish me luck. And stay away from Dwane Lane's in Everett, WA if anyone is local.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm assuming with a fleet of vans you have a mechanic close by or on site for maintenance , interested to see what they say about this failure .
No in house mechanic or go-to shop, they typically go to the nearest dealer (ford, chevy or ram, or autobody shop). It was taken in for an oil change about a week before christmas, and was running fine, then after christmas break, the isssue came up when trying to start, It had probably been sitting for a few days. I think it would start, but not positive on that. After a whole debacle I dont want to get into, and towing it to another dealer, our ram customer care rep has submitted the repairs for review, I got the feeling from her, this is a known issue with the 1500s. Last I heard, was it was it was related to and oil pump failure (recall item?). Wish me luck. And stay away from Dwane Lane's in Everett, WA if anyone is local.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phil is right about them ripping you off.

It could also be that they're setting the stage for an offer of "We'll do you a favor and take it off your hands as-is for $5000 trade-in value if you buy this nice new van over here......" Then they'll fix it in their spare time and resell it for a nice profit.
I hate dealers, I considered buying a new one, but unfortunately, there are no vans available, and the ones that are available are insanely expensive. they had us between a rock and hard place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IIRC the main cooling fan issue was the van catching fire. Even if it didn't cause a fire, it would have to overheat the engine to cause engine damage. Where there signs of overheating before engine failure?
No, the engine sounded fine and wasn't overheating. It was taken in for an oil change about a week before christmas, and was running fine, then after christmas break, the isssue came up when trying to start, It had probably been sitting for a few days. I think it would start, but not positive on that. After a whole debacle I dont want to get into, and towing it to another dealer, our ram customer care rep has submitted the repairs for review, I got the feeling from her, this is a known issue with the 1500s. Last I heard, was it was it was related to and oil pump failure (recall item?). Wish me luck. And stay away from Dwane Lane's in Everett, WA if anyone is local.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts