Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2014 1500. The engine check light just come on I had it checked by a local parts place and they said it is the oil pressure sensor. will this be under warranty they said it will take 4 to 5 hours the whole top of the engine must be disassembled The truck has 20,000 miles on it what say you?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For no Reason the engine check light went out and has not come back on has this happen to anybody else

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you get the OBDII codes from the parts store? I got a P0520 and later also developed a P06DE both are related to the oil sensor. I took my van in over a week ago to have it worked on, they still have not gotten to it, they have a month long service wait. There is a trouble bulletin on this issue for several Dodge vehicles you can find it as Reference Number 18-034-14 Rev A, date of issue July 15, 2014.

The good news is that there probably is no real problem with the engine, the bad news is that it is in a difficult to access spot on the engine making repair a pain. Having an oil pressure problem is not something to take lightly. Also if you reset the OBDII codes the lamp will clear for the next start, but on the second or third usage it will come on again, the engine control module detects the problem and waits to see if it is persistent before lighting the lamp the way I understand it. I wish I had an oil pressure gauge to get a real feel for the engine health.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Go back through this forum and search for OIL COOLER or OIL FAILURE. There, you should find my post about this, and it's worth a read. In short, the very early builds had a design flaw in the oil cooler assembly, which lives in the V of the engine. It houses a heat exchanger, the filter, and the temp and pressure sensors. To replace it, both halves of the intake manifold have to come out.

But push the dealer to do this work, because you may (or may not) have the unrevised part in there. It failed on mine, and almost cost me an engine. First step would be too push a q tip under the manifold and see if it's leaking, and look at the back of the motor from the drivers side and see if it's leaking.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Tech fixed my oil pressure sensor, got in my van and before I drove off the light came on again. Reset the check engine light and it came back on. He then told me that all of the Penastar V6 have this problem, Jeeps, Chryslers whatever. They all have the flaw, according to him.

Still driving it with the light on, 5k miles later...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Sounds like the kind of thing a tech would say when he's got a problem he cant figure out. Mine dont do it, and your didnt do it when new.

You do as you like, but I'd pursue this problem because a: the light masks a real oil problem should it occur and b: the pentastar has a variable displacement oil pump. It calls up more pressure when it needs it and less when it doesnt to save fuel. But also, the cams work on oil pressure, so in theory it could affect yoyr cam timing.

The light isnt wired direct to the sensor - the computer reads the sensor and fires the light. So the computer either thinks the op is wrong, or doesnt know the op. That could cause problems down the road.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,803 Posts
Kip's right. I think this is the first mention of the problem here, and a lot of PM's are represented here, so obviously, they don't all have the problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appointment isn't to May 18 I will let you all know what the verdict is after that I just hope this is covered under warranty because it's 4 to 5 hour job they said

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had the same thing a couple of years ago. Warranty fixed it, dealer mechanic had me in and out in under four hours; I had to travel 3 hours to get to a dealer warranty facility that is OK to do the work. Yes, in the Promaster, the top of the engine (so to speak) has to come off, more specifically, but not completely, an oil cooler that's in the V of the engine on top of it. If you had this engine in a pickup, it'd be a 20 minute job.....but you don't. So, I saw my van with the grill off, and a lot of front end stuff laid down on the ground just to get the mechanic access to the damned sensor. They told me it was a known problem, apparently Ram got a bunch of bad sensors. In any case, no troubles since, my only beef was the mechanic forgot to put my sheet of insect screen back that I had put behind the grill to catch bugs. Now, I need to pursue my first idea for that, which is what I had for many other vehicles. DeflectaShield made a winter/summer screen front combo, which used snaps screwed into the plastic grill. Had a quilted winter front with flaps to open for venting or not, and a screen front for summer, both utilizing the same snaps. Was a great product! Have to have an upholstery place make me a special one now. Have pattern done, just need to locate the proper snaps and get it made.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
In the 5 years since I wrote that, I have learned many things.

If you have the P046d code (I think that’s the code) then yes it’s the oil pressure sensor in the oil cooler and yes 2 of my vans have had that code for hundreds of thousands of miles and yes it’s utterly harmless. If your code ends in A, B, or C then it may be the sensor in the oil pump itself, and that one is worth replacing the oil pump over because it could actually mean the oil pump is bad.

Why they would need to take apart the grill to get the upper intake off is beyond me. But as I have said many times, the LEAST competent mechanics work at dealerships, and the MOST competent mechanics make bigger bucks at indy shops.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts