Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking to add a engine block heater. Local mechanic could not find the engine block heater that I assumed is located in motor behind alternator on passenger side of vehicle. I purchase a cord and was just hoping he could pop off the cap and install it. No fuse, no muse. So I am was looking to buy mopar block heater element to have my mechanic install and was unable to find it on the Mopar web site. Any advice would be helpful.

Also as a side night, has anyone had the "SERVICE DEF SYSTEM, SEE DEALER" flash across their screen. I had that and took it to dealer only to be told that they had to replace the whole DEF system for $2900 parts plus labor. They said that the sensor inside the DEF tank was showing faulty. I said just clean the DEF tank, they said they only can replace whole system. Gave them $142 and had them reset code. Low and behold the "SERVICE DEF SYSTEM, SEE DEALER" is not flashing on screen. I should add that I added 2 1/2 gallons of DEF to system before bringing to dealer. I think is what happened is that the DEF tank was low, it had formed some crystals inside the tank and it was giving the sensor false readings. I figured by adding new DEF that would help break down the crystal and all would be right in world.

Lastly Buyer beware, do not buy this truck it is very unreliable. Here is a short list of my issues on a 2015 3500 diesel with under 80,000 miles.

1. Bad Ground strap from engine to block. Cost about $700 in tow bills, $400 in repair. Not covered under warranty.
2. Bad glow plug, broken by Indep. Auto Mech. Estimate Cost to Fix. $4000. (have to replace head). For a $10 glow plug. WTF.
3. Drive Door not staying open in wind & cost of re-adjust emergency break $400. The Brake gets water in it and in winter it acts up.
4. Bad Transmission, Very Expensive fix, but was covered under warranty.
5. Misc. minor issues, like rear door cable cover breaking.
6. DEF system, possible complete replacement $5000.Again, WTF. (am getting a second opinion on this one., this quote was from same dealer in Fox Lake IL that said they would look at my truck at 3:30pm in December and they where not able to because the Diesel mechanic had not come in that day! They basically straight up lied to me., such B.S.)
6. Cost of not having vehicle for business because it is in shop. (10 weeks, you put your weekly rate in = **** load of money)

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
You are right that the engine AND transmission heater option was both the heater elements and the cable (which itself is spendy).
The engine heater is Mopar Part No.: 68258899AA
The cord set is Mopar Part No.: 68228741AC
I can’t find the Transmission heater element sorry.

Thanks for your idea on the DEF system, you may be right and it would save $$$$!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The only dealer by us, I'm in Crystal Lake, that had a good diesel guy was Crystal Lake Chrysler Ram. But that guy quit.
I may have a DEF system available shortly that was installed in March, so almost new, if that helps you out. I own an auto repair shop and I can install it for you. And yes, you have to replace the whole tank one1 sensor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only dealer by us, I'm in Crystal Lake, that had a good diesel guy was Crystal Lake Chrysler Ram. But that guy quit.
I may have a DEF system available shortly that was installed in March, so almost new, if that helps you out. I own an auto repair shop and I can install it for you. And yes, you have to replace the whole tank one1 sensor.
The Crystal Lake Dealer was unable to remove a broken glow plug from the independant shop that broke it, I took it to them because they assured me that could remove it and that if the truck needed a new head it was under warranty. Turns out that they charge me $600 plus dollars where not able to remove glow plug, said my independant mechanic broke it in such a way that they could not extract it., that if it was stuck they would break it in such a way that they could extract it. and oh by the way the head replacement would not be covered under warranty because my independant mechanic broke the glow plug. Here is my cell number send me a text message regarding the DEF tank, system. 847-691-9830. That sounds like it might work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are right that the engine AND transmission heater option was both the heater elements and the cable (which itself is spendy).
The engine heater is Mopar Part No.: 68258899AA
The cord set is Mopar Part No.: 68228741AC
I can’t find the Transmission heater element sorry.

Thanks for your idea on the DEF system, you may be right and it would save $$$$!
Thank you for information on the engine heater. Was a bit taken back by the $275 to $330 price range, but what are you gonna do. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts