Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m often suspect of “too good to be true” deals on Amazon so I figured I’d share my experiences with replacing my engine and cabin air filters on my PM3500 for only $28.

I searched the forum and didn’t find any good references for engine air filter changes... and found numerous posts about expensive cabin air filter replacements, so I figured I’d add to the PM Forum’s body of knowledge on this subject... and hopefully save a few forum friends some $$$ that can be better spent on their conversion projects.

ENGINE AIR FILTER

Tools required: stubby flat head screwdriver and regular length #2 phillips head screwdriver

Engine Air Filter: $15 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079HJM4D8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This was an exact size replacement for the original engine air filter... correct size & high quality soft gaskets for a snug compression fit.

To replace the engine air filter, first remove the flexible rubber elbow by loosening the pipe clamps at both ends with the stubby screwdriver.

Next, remove the air filter cover by loosening the four cover screws with the regular #2... loosen them 3/8” or so, no need to remove (and lose) them.

It takes some manauvering to remove the cover from the cramped area, but it does come out with a little twisting and turning. Remove the air filter. Double check to make sure the new filter is the same size as the old one... assuming the old one is the correct size.

There are ridges at the bottom of the air filter holder... the raised ridge bumps of the filter fit in between those ridges to give a snug fit.

Insert the air filter and replace the filter cover. You may need to wiggle the filter some so the cover hole aligns with the filter opening.

Tighten the four air filter cover screws... then reinstall the flexible elbow. I found it easiest to secure the flange connected to the air filter housing first... making sure the tabs aligned correctly so I had a complete seal.

The upper elbow connection takes more convincing... loosen the pipe clamp enough so you aren’t fighting against it... and insert it fully to ensure the tabs of the flexible elbow fit into the corresponding indents on the receiving collar.

Tighten up the pipe clamps and you are done... total time 20-30 minutes.

CABIN AIR FILTER
Tools required: medium length #2 phillips head screwdriver

Cabin Air Filter: $13 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N75A672/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again, I was impressed with the quality of this filter... perfect size and the filter even included instructions.

First, remove the two short screws fromthe top of the filter housing using the #2 phillips.

Remove the cabin filter.

Insert the new filter, filter side up... I kept trying to push the filter in but then realized that the lower/aft end simply rests on top of those small raised ridges near the bottom of the housing (see above). Tighten the two small screws and you are done... total time approx 10 min.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,346 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just found the same filter on eBay for $17.99 + free shipping. When I checked out I received 10% off of my order. I ordered 2 filters for $35.98 - $5.00 + free shipping = $30.98.

MLogan
2017 Trend MH 3.6L gas
Smyrna, TN

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very helpful post and pics. I picked up the same filters off Amazon and finished replacing them this afternoon. For what it's worth, a 8mm socket with a 'wobble' adapter makes for quick and easy access to the clamps on the hose above the air filter as well as the four bolts holding the top of the filter housing.

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
BTW the diesel engine air filter is different.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/ECOGARD-XA10258-Premium-Engine-ProMaster/dp/B0115MQ5AU/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Ram%7C1168&Model=ProMaster%201500%7C23454&Year=2015%7C2015&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive[/ame]

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think I paid $65 for my engine filter at the dealer a couple years ago. Guess that wasn't the Best Buy I've ever made.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Great post Phranc. Haven't performed too much of my own service on my PM. Just doing both of these filters for the first time. I own a 2014 3500. Funny but the only mention of a "cabin filter" in the owners manual, is on pg 363 under the maintenance schedule. It states that the air/cabin filter should be replaced every 20k miles or 2 years. Question, are these filters (AC & Cabin) one in the same? The only thing I could find under the AC air filter was on pg 328 & it states that access to the AC filter is thru the glove compartment. I'd assume that both of these filters are different as they are in separate locations? A bit confused. Appreciate any help from the forum...

·
Registered
538 Posts
I put a K&N filter on the intake when I found the factory filter dirty. Too many country roads when camping I suppose. I like removing it every Fall to wash and service it. I've had good luck with these over the years.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
398 Posts
The spray on oil for the KN filter can cause a problem with the mass air sensor. You may need to clean the sensor more often.
Some people never have a problem. Others will.
Be sure not to over oil and also let it soak/dry before reinstalling the filter.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Clarification, the gasser has a MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure) not a MAF sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wish he would ship to Canada .. is there any chance you could help me out getting to where I live in Canada ?

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts