Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here you go, get it out here and stop being frustrated.
OK I’ll start.

Quoting in your responses directly following a post is a NO-NO. Come on, we just read the post, you are responding right after it there is no reason to quote it. This is especially repugnant when there are a bunch of pictures which, with the text, fills a screen. If you do it in someone’s build thread your post should be reported. I offer my build thread as an example. I was trying to get useful information on my sort of different build and it’s full of distracting quotes and reposts. SHAME!

Whats your peeve (except for my sarcastic attempts at humor?) Please don’t get personal as we all have feelings, even me.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I go back and forth on this one. (I almost quoted your post, just to prove the point ;) ) Sometimes if it's a hot-topic and you are slow at composing a reply, a post or two or three can sneak by and you lose context.

I think the semi-merged PMC forum feed is my biggest peeve, but I understand this is beyond most people's control.

Non-descriptive generic topics and missing links to build threads in signatures are up there too. Pretty much anything that causes me to do extra navigation or undue searching of the site is an annoyance for me.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I browse at work so sometimes I'll have a thread up and I'll start to type a reply but then get sidetracked with something else and come back to it maybe a few hours later. When I hit reply, I'll notice a bunch of new posts so I'm no longer under the post I was replying to so as I Ziggy said, it looks out of context. So as a habit, I quote. But I do agree with RD as quoting a build thread with a lot of photos can be a pain.

If we are talking about forum pet peeves, this doesn't happen too much on here, but I really don't like it when people say "use the search" without providing any help. When the person posting obviously doesn't know what they are doing they may not even know what to search for. Search is fine when you know what you're searching for an how to read/sort the results, but someone new may want info on solar. If they search "solar" in the search box, you are going to get thousands of results and the user is going to be more confused than when they started. Offer a little bit of help or give them pointers on what to search for. Again, this doesn't really happen on this forum much, but it happens all the time on others.

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
I’m tired of searching for other people who are too lazy to do it themselves, tired if people who don’t tell us where they live and what kind of van they drive and ESPECIALY the people that ask for advice and then come back and say "But I don’t like your advice"!

If you’re a adult today and don’t know how to google something and get a reasonable response then, perhaps, you should be living in a cave, wearing a loincloth and chewing on bones. My 8 & 10 year old granddaughters have no problem googling so that’s not a valid complaint (imho) ;)

I’m also tired of plowing snow and it’s still December ;)

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
377 Posts
I agree with nebulight about getting sidetracked and not posting right away. Whenever I quote, I usually quote just enough to stay on topic, not the entire post. Highlight and backspace.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,978 Posts
ESPECIALY the people that ask for advice and then come back and say "But I don’t like your advice"!
I don't have the problem with this that some of you do. There is no obligation to do as I say, so I don't feel like my time has been wasted if in the end the OP doesn't adopt my suggestions. Sometimes, having the alternative put forth with vigor reinforces the original notion.

I agree with nebulight on search functions. It is not always obvious. We long-timers didn't have the overload that newcomers can be faced with, but then we didn't have this mother lode of info, either.

I do have a problem with people not including their location and the specifics of their vehicle.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I agree with nebulight on search functions. It is not always obvious.
Agreed. At times I've had very specific acronyms or words the forum search engine thinks are too short and won't let me search. And I'll have to do an end run around it and wade through a ton irrelevant posts with more common words. Or point Google to search the forum directly which many people aren't aware or forget they can do.

I'm more receptive when people post things like, "I tried looking for X, and I can't find it."

Some people are just better at searching than others. I used to point interviewees at a web browser and ask them to search for things and see what they did. I was surprised that so-called technical people typed complete sentences and expected results or gave up way too easily. This was in the years before Google added search predictions and natural language parsing algorithms.

·
Registered
810 Posts
my pet peeve is NOT being able to seat the drivers side headlight back into its bucket hole. the dang thing keeps popping out after a week or so. Im frustrated

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
People who ask questions about doing something (which may be wrong, dumb or stupid) but wanting opinions or feedback ONLY from those who have "actually done it before". Is repeating a mistake better than avoiding one?

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,042 Posts
I'm sympathetic to people who do not take all the advice they get. There are too many variables for any question to have a one size fits all solution. Heck, one of my pet peeves is people give advance and then keep harping on it, like they are waiting to be able to say "I told you so." I'm grateful for all of the fabulous advice given here, but not all it works for me (or anyone). For example, there an often heard quote in sailing, "Go small. Go slow. Go now." Interesting advice to a set of people, but useless for me. I've waited 10 years to be able to do my build - and I'm completely fine with that.

I, too, am amazed by peoples' inability to use a search engine. OTOH, somethings are only google-able if you know the right word (See inpull nuts) My response to clearly searchable questions is to ignore the post. If we jump on people too hard for foibles, they are not encouraged to contribute to the community.

I agree, lack of location and vehicle specifics limits how much help one can get.

I do find people who speak only in the first person plural odd.

·
Registered
2017 159" 2500.
122 Posts
Quoting in your responses directly following a post is a NO-NO. Come on, we just read the post, you are responding right after it there is no reason to quote it.
Selectively quoting a post allows for more readable and concise responses.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,748 Posts
...I do have a problem with people not including their location and the specifics of their vehicle.
No fair! You picked mine! Hoping that others will read this and add their info. No need for street address specifics, but the type of van you have and the state you are in (confusion) would really make it easier to reply and understand in context. It's under "Edit Your Details" once you enter the User CP page.... please?

Easy to add this info in the USER CP on the top right!

Maybe the New Year will bring more info to us (along with a few other things that I probably can't list here!)>:D

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Phil-WHAT? I tried! You been looking at my build thread? Wood look on van panels, unrefined but so campervan!

Seriously now, I was thinking about forum peeves but I am peeved the 2018 Diesel seems to be still missing?! If FCA wanted to kill the diesel here they couldn’t have done a better job. They introduced it as a Beta tester without telling us, poorly trained technicians, reluctant to fix the Beta issues, impossibly long repair times due to having to get STAR involved and no parts availability. Diesels have never been popular cars here so doing it right would have polished their reputation. Now?????

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
.....cut....

Seriously now, I was thinking about forum peeves but I am peeved the 2018 Diesel seems to be still missing?! .....cut.....
I was recently looking at a 2018 Fiat Ducato camper brochure, and they didn't even list the 3.0-liter as an option. They had one 2.0 liter entry-level diesel, and three 2.3 liter diesels with various power levels. The strongest was rated similar to your 3.0 I-4 diesel.

If discontinued in Europe (and I'm not certain it is), then I can't see how Fiat can keep it for North America considering how few they sell.

·
Registered
427 Posts
A lack of unrefined builds.
Hah!

- Indoor/outdoor carpet on the floor and bolted down at the tie-down points.
- Piece of steel angle iron bolted to the side of the van opposite the door just behind the seats.
- Piece of plywood across the van resting atop said angle iron and bolted to it with a 2x4 across the van underneath the plywood to stop the plywood from bending.
- Two legs on the door side of said piece of plywood extending down to the floor with a little bracket over to the nearest tie-down points.
- Couple pieces of foam from the dollar store on top of said plywood.

DONE!

The motorcycles go in the back with wheel chocks on the floor underneath the bed so that the front wheels are just underneath the edge of the bed (this allowed the bed to be as wide as possible). Generator, toolbox, cooler with food, portable barbecue, stack of tires go underneath the bed. Folding ramp, fold-up canopy, paddock stands for the bikes, fold-up camping chairs go in beside the bikes.

On long trips we tag-team: one driving, one passenger, one sleeping, rotate every 3 or 4 hours. This will normally be with a trailer in tow with more bikes and more stuff back there. Works awesome.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Another pet peeve are people who change subject (drift) -- as I'm doing here, although since OP is a huge diesel fan he may let it go. :)

Specs on 2.3 diesel with equal power and torque (180 HP and 400 Nm) show fuel consumption at 19% lower. In normal mixed driving that should represent about 5 MPG higher than previous Euro 5, which I assume was 3.0-liter I-4. If not, improvement could be even higher.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok Chance, just this once, but no THANKS for that post as it is off topic. BTW that engine in Europe (and one I met one here) gets 30-32mpg. It is inherently cleaner as it was built for the Euro 5 standards I believe. However the 3.0 we have was being used here in Mitsubishi trucks already. Ours is a chain driven cam, no belt replacement engine and has a reputation for 500++ thousand miles.

Now that I have the floor my third peeve is THANKS. You know that button that you can use when someone goes out of their way to help you or puts up something that is really useful. I have given 668 of them so it can be done. I see many here have seldom or never used it. I have gotten a lot of them although I really don’t need my ego pumped anyway, BUT I appreciate seeing the effort some go to, and I believe they need to be encouraged. Please use it when it you think.... “Oh that was good."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts