Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to use pine tongue and groove paneling for my ceiling, but I think this would apply to any ceiling. I am able to attach nailer board to the ribs of the van but on the ends, in both the front and rear of the van. I don't want to drive screws through the roof. Is there an adhesive product anyone would recommend to glue the boards up? I don't think there would be much load on these end pieces as they will just be there to tie the ends down but I am not experienced with this sort of thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,829 Posts
I've tried many adhesives. They all failed eventually. Next I want to try 3M 5200.
Oh, Dear. I hope there's an exception to that. The only place I glued anything was that front support. IIRC, I used Loctite PL Premium as recommended on one of these van forums.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Glue the seams at the end and between the last boards on both ends. If you do this it's likely that you won't even have to adhere the end boards to the van. And if you do use adhesive there, there won't be much stress on it if everything is connected.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,126 Posts
I see how the rear strip was attached. One question, did you cut the front strip to fit, it looks like its notched. I don't have a table saw (yet) so that might be a challenge for me.
Hi,
Its not notched, but since the sheet metal surface it attaches to is sloped (not vertical) the back side of the nailing strip s cut at an angle (beveled).
You could probably do this with a Skil saw or even with a hand planer.
Or, you could just do without the bevel, in which case the surface that your ceiling boards attach to would be slopped, but that's probably not a big deal.

Gary

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,
Its not notched, but since the sheet metal surface it attaches to is sloped (not vertical) the back side of the nailing strip s cut at an angle (beveled).
You could probably do this with a Skil saw or even with a hand planer.
Or, you could just do without the bevel, in which case the surface that your ceiling boards attach to would be slopped, but that's probably not a big deal.

Gary
Thanks Gary, I figured out how to get a 1x2 attached by drilling through the 2" side and into that front rib that the factory headliner is attached to. I did have to drill across the grain, so it split a little but I don't think it will be an issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glue the seams at the end and between the last boards on both ends. If you do this it's likely that you won't even have to adhere the end boards to the van. And if you do use adhesive there, there won't be much stress on it if everything is connected.
Are you talking about the tongue and groove seams? Regardless I figured out a way to get the for and aft nailing strips in thanks to GaryBIS's site and advice.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,829 Posts
Chris, you might want to take a look at that rear light. It is where it is because they didn't have anything better to attach it to. You can pop it out and attach to the ceiling at a much nicer angle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts