Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Promaster 159" WB High Roof
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Can you give a brief description about what exactly happened?
This is the info on my fundraiser:

Facing homelessness come January 1st, I purchased a cargo van with all of the money I have with the intent of moving into it as soon as possible.

Unfortunately the place I purchased is denying it being involved in an accident while in their possession, despite my providing proof of the accident confirmed by multiple VIN reports.

I want to hold the company I purchased this from accountable but know that it's going to be a long process so I think that in order to get it functioning and in my possession the fastest I will need to facilitate paying for the repairs myself.

I don't have an income, cannot work and am patiently waiting on a disability determination from Social Security pending an appeal hearing. I have a fair credit score but no recent credit history so I was denied for the 2 loans and credit cards I applied for. After weeks of trying I somehow was able to get a credit card with a limit of $1200 from the bank my checking account is at so I am planning on using that to pay towards the balance, but I'm still not able to pick up the van until it is paid in full.

After having the car professionally delivered to me I was quoted over $8,000 for repairs from a local dealership (the dealership is an hour and a half away). I asked them to only fix what they need to make it run and the bill is around $3,800.

I also have to pay for taxes on the car, to register and insure the van, all things I budgeted for prior to knowledge of the accident; now that money is going towards the repairs.

I'm out of personal belongings to sell, can't cut down on anymore food or medications, and am lost on what to do which is why I've started this fundraiser.

And I've given a few updates/specifics in this comment thread if you are okay going through it :)

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
525 Posts
@nonbinarybuild please don't feel the need to disclose anything that you are not comfortable doing. People will help if they are moved to do so regardless of full knowledge.
I agree! It is never appropriate to ask somebody to disclose their disability. I can’t see how this would matter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It might help if you disclose, what exactly is your disability......
@MaggieMarty @Boondogger thank you for the affirmation, I was a little taken aback when I saw the comment asking this but tried to give the commenter the benefit of the doubt as not everyone is versed in the laws regarding disabled folks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
@MaggieMarty @Boondogger thank you for the affirmation, I was a little taken aback when I saw the comment asking this but tried to give the commenter the benefit of the doubt as not everyone is versed in the laws regarding disabled folks.
Agreed, personal information is a delicate topic. You did mention some personal health info somewhere I can't recall where.

Maybe you should make a detailed list of what was repaired by the dealership (the $3800 due) and what the remaining work that you opted out of for the time being ($8000 total).

I wouldn't expect too many folks to contact the dealership asking.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Agreed, personal information is a delicate topic.

Maybe you should make a detailed list of what was repaired by the dealership (the $3800 due) and what the remaining work that you opted out of for the time being ($8000 total).

I wouldn't expect too many folks to contact the dealership asking.
That's a great idea, it completely skipped my mind to have it all written out for everyone (especially since I can't get a friggen detailed invoice or bill from the dealer). Will update shortly!

·
Registered
257 Posts
That's a great idea, it completely skipped my mind to have it all written out for everyone (especially since I can't get a friggen detailed invoice or bill from the dealer). Will update shortly!
I don't understand why the dealership can't provide you with a detailed invoice on their letterhead of the work they already performed on your van? Can you explain?

You understand how this is a red flag to people trusting your authenticity.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
I don't understand why the dealership can't provide you with a detailed invoice on their letterhead of the work they already performed on your van? Can you explain?

My assumption is that they've been not communicating with me in order to have the ability to overcharge me again. Each time I talk with them they've decided to up the prices for parts AND labor.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
I finally got a copy of my bill and I'm including it below showing the pricing breakdown on the 2 major repairs to make the van run after they facilitated the 3 recall repairs.

Font Parallel Document Number

I also posted an update on the fundraiser showing what repairs they said were needed that I plan on tackling on my own in the future.

No surprise the final prices are more than what was previously communicated more than once, in regards to labor and part costs AND. On top of that the invoice is flooded with incorrect information... I'm definitely never coming back here once I get my van back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

Here's the email I got when I asked for an official quote on dealer letterhead showing a breakdown of parts/labor so you all can see the difference between this and the final invoice

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here's the email I got when I asked for an official quote on dealer letterhead showing a breakdown of parts/labor so you all can see the difference between this and the final invoice
I noticed on your list of work for the future said:

1) coolant reservoir needs replacing. That may not be needed. If the coolant reservoir was severely damaged the vehicle wouldn't be in driving condition. So I think you'll see some savings there.

2) Service AC. The dealer replaced your AC systems "condenser" so I would think they have also tested and recharged the AC system to working condition. Again possible savings, you should confirm.

3) Battery. You'll need a battery in good condition especially in Chicago in winter. Why the dealer thinks its in bad condition but didn't mandate its replacement I don't understand. Sound like its about to crap out. Go to Autozone and get your battery tested for free, before buying a new one.

4) Power steering. Adding power steering fluid is easy. But is the power steering system crapped out? Again, you should confirm.

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,743 Posts
What would you have to pay to the dealer just to release it if you were going to have it towed to a independent repair shop?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
they did work on the van without my authorization and are trying to tell me i authorized it on the phone. i asked them to get a copy of the recording of the call since they use VOIP and its easily available to them and they accused me of extorting them to try to lower my bill. the bill is like $3600 and I have to pay the whole thing to get the van out which just isn't possible anymore.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
525 Posts
Is this something where @RamCares can help with perhaps? It seems like this dealer is abusing their power.

Reactions: nonbinarybuild

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,743 Posts
That is going to be a tough row to hoe (mechanics lean). Maybe you can ask them if you can do some kind of an installment plan - - 100 bucks a month for 48 months or something?

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.