Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday at 750 miles!!! Got a cel and electronic throttle control light goes into the dealer tomorrow :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after one day of actual driving had 3 codes egr, turbo boost, and a heater one. I don't have them in front of me at the moment dealer can't figure it out and is sending it off to Chrysler engineering. Less then a week of owning it and a day of driving and issues already I'm less then happy

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
These are rare so there is something wrong with some component of your van and it was when you received it. Sorry for it to be yours but time enough has passed for FCA to know how find the issue and fix it. Your local dealer’s tech may not have seen this before but Star at FCA must have. I understand your frustration but a very few of all vehicles get bad components or poor assembly. Keep us updated please.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far no updates happened 5 times yesterday within a 100 miles :( dealer is still communicating with Chrysler

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I got a call saying they want to clean the egr cooler? The dealer is arguing to replace it rather then clean it...

·
Registered
756 Posts
Some notes swiped from a 2007 Ducato refresher course found info on the EGR system...

(© 2006 Fiat Auto S.p.A. - All rights reserved)

EGR system: This system recirculates part of the exhaust gases to the intake under certain particular operating conditions. This lowers peak temperature in the combustion chamber so as to reduce nitrogen oxide (NOx) formation. The engine control unit recirculates a portion of the exhaust gases taken from the exhaust manifold back to the engine intake.
To this end, the engine control unit processes the inputs from:
- atmospheric pressure sensor,
- water pressure sensor,
- engine rpm sensor,
- accelerator pedal potentiometer
and pilots both the vacuum control solenoid valve and the throttle valve via a PWM signal according to the mapping stored in its memory.

<blah blah blah>

The E.G.R. valve is mounted at the end of the heat exchanger.
The valve is cooled by the engine coolant coming out of the heat exchanger to ensure improved efficiency and long life.
The amount of recirculated exhaust gas is determined by a poppet valve operated by the vacuum let in by a calibrated connector; vacuum is taken from the pipe connecting vacuum pump to servo brake.

Pretty good source, copy'n paste a sentence or two from above and google it to find it online : ) The EGR stuff starts at p30...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why would a plugged egr cooler cause my electronic throttle control light on... lol

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
With out the codes we are flying blind. Small differences in the wording of the code descriptions make huge differences in what may be happening. Can you get the codes?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes last week I didn't have my scanner now I have my scanner and obd fusion on my tablet. Been saving reports each time it happens...

Every time there is a P00AF
Twice there has been a P04DA along with the first code

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
P00AF - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control A Module Performance
P04DA - Closed Loop EGR Control at Limit - Flow Too High
I asked, you answered, but I am not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling I understand. Did the van go into reduced power mode (you would feel a sluggish acceleration and top speed of about 60mph at most)
Have you by any chance noticed if the air filter and its hoses might be misaligned or loose or out of place or a gasket missing? Extra air not going past the Mass Air Flow sensor might explain why this happened. The fix of cleaning the EGR cooler may be fixing only one symptom as it would also cause the particulate filter to not regenerate I suspect. That will eventually give codes and limp mode for plugged particulate filter, but it may not be filled yet. The dealer can see that on their computer and force a regen. Checking those parts should be easy, cleaning the cooler, or replacing it would be great and 750 miles is about right for this symptom to show up if the MAF is misreading the air flow.
Now you know I am an idiot.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it went into a limp mode I don't think I could of held even 60 mph. I have to cycle the key to clear the electronic throttle control light. haven't checked anything myself...

It is regenerating watched one Monday morning. Another one should take place tomorrow sometime.

Never thought you were an idiot..
I was a diesel mechanic in a past life ( 7 years ago and no want to become one again lol) but I also need a working van!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I admit to the idiot status more for getting involved in an area outside my mechanical history and ability. I have worked on the older (unregulated) diesels some and have a conceptual understanding of what this one is supposed to be doing. If it is regenerating it is a good sign but there is a reason the EGR cooler plugged. I would listen to their explanation and if they don’t know why they have not solved it. Early on many EGR valves were replaced and when the van did not run correctly FCA finally bought them back. Finally software to better regulate the EGR, and particulate filter made most problematical vans work. We have had almost no diesel emissions issues for nearly two years. Among those bought and repaired may have been one that holds the answer for yours. No one before you has reported a plugged EGR cooler as far as I remember. This is why I said there is a component or assembly issue with your van. Your dealer and tech, even if he is really good will not likely be able to get your van right with out FCA’s star team, a case has been opened, right?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The star team is the one telling the dealer to clean the egr cooler

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They have changed their mind now they think turbo or turbo waste gate...

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
A-ha. They don’t have a clue! Just like us! Turbo waste gate should be easy check as one readout to ODB is boost.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dealer i bought it from is 3.5 hours away but much bigger and deal with the promasters more then my local dealer I'm heading past them tuesday for work. I'm going to see if I can drop it off to them and grab a loaner cargo van of some sort... it's been almost a week of my local dealer just "talking"

·
Registered
117 Posts
What actuates the EGR valve? Is it a vacuum line or electric solenoid? If vacuum line check for any leaks in that line. If the EGR valve doesn't open as far as the engine wants it to or stays completely closed, it will act like a clogged EGR cooler. Also since there isn't the flow of exhaust gasses through the valve the boost reading will be off from what the computer expects to see. That will give you boost codes.

Question, how can you have a clogged EGR cooler if the code says "Flow too high"? Is it EGR flow or intake air flow? If EGR flow is too high that would be a sticking open or debris in the valve holding it open not a cooler problem. Unless the valve is part of the cooler

Do any of the OBD scanners give measuring block actual readings vs the requested value? I had a code indicating a turbo issue on a VW. Looking at the measuring blocks I saw the MAF value was fluctuating too fast but not too far out of spec to throw a MAF code. Sprayed the MAF down with electronics cleaner and problem solved. Sometimes the problem wont be what the code is indicating. The code is just what has been thrown far enough out of spec. The fuel pump was leaking fuel (thanks ultra low sulfur diesel) the vapor was sucked up the intake, hot wire of MAF burnt the fuel vapor and deposited sludge on the wire, at this point the not too far out of range MAF reading did not jive with the boost reading, confused the computer and computer thought the boost was the "implausible" problem. Boost control mechanism was perfectly fine.

Any chance a rodent has been under the hood chewing on things?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What actuates the EGR valve? Is it a vacuum line or electric solenoid? If vacuum line check for any leaks in that line. If the EGR valve doesn't open as far as the engine wants it to or stays completely closed, it will act like a clogged EGR cooler. Also since there isn't the flow of exhaust gasses through the valve the boost reading will be off from what the computer expects to see. That will give you boost codes.

Question, how can you have a clogged EGR cooler if the code says "Flow too high"? Is it EGR flow or intake air flow? If EGR flow is too high that would be a sticking open or debris in the valve holding it open not a cooler problem. Unless the valve is part of the cooler

Do any of the OBD scanners give measuring block actual readings vs the requested value? I had a code indicating a turbo issue on a VW. Looking at the measuring blocks I saw the MAF value was fluctuating too fast but not too far out of spec to throw a MAF code. Sprayed the MAF down with electronics cleaner and problem solved. Sometimes the problem wont be what the code is indicating. The code is just what has been thrown far enough out of spec. The fuel pump was leaking fuel (thanks ultra low sulfur diesel) the vapor was sucked up the intake, hot wire of MAF burnt the fuel vapor and deposited sludge on the wire, at this point the not too far out of range MAF reading did not jive with the boost reading, confused the computer and computer thought the boost was the "implausible" problem. Boost control mechanism was perfectly fine.

Any chance a rodent has been under the hood chewing on things?
I hope no mice first cel / electronic throttle control light came on at 750 miles lol

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And that was my question is the turbo / egr causing the electronic throttle control light or is it throwing those codes Cuz the ETC light causes a limp mode

1 - 20 of 38 Posts