Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 high roof with a factory backup camera. Due to what’s inside my van, my rearview mirror is useless. I’d love to get a dedicated electronic rearview mirror to replace it. Meaning... one that slides over the current mirror, or a monitor that mounts to the ceiling above the windshield that always shows me what’s behind my van while driving. When backing up, the image pops up on the stock, in dash stereo. That’s fine. I’ll keep that the way it is because it works just fine.
Has anyone done this? Has anyone added a third party rearview camera like this; keeping your backup cam separate? If so, which one? I searched the forums but couldn’t find what I’m really looking for. I’m not looking for a cheap piece of Amazon trash either. I want/need a SOLID image of what’s behind me while driving. Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Pretty sure that no matter what, it's just going to be a monitor and external camera. It will just be a matter of where/how you mount it, where you tap power and whether or not you wire the video or get a wireless system.
Are you looking for something specific, like a rearview mirror that has the monitor built into it?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I made a post over in the gadget thread:

about a Dymco mirror that we got, we are pretty happy with it.

·
Read Only
309 Posts
I just ordered a replacement LCD screen that goes in place of the mirror from Rear View Safety Systems. I have bought many monitor/camera systems from them over the years. None have ever let me down.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
If you pull the mirror straight off, there is a ball mount to work with. I have a monitor coming that I will just mount on the ball.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
If you pull the mirror straight off, there is a ball mount to work with. I have a monitor coming that I will just mount on the ball.
Just a heads up that ball-mounts can be incompatible. The mirror-mount ball was a little too small for my Garmin GPS until I enlarged the ball with heat-shrink tubing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You might check with Winnebago, as my Trend has the rear view mirror camera that mounts/slides over the stock mirror. It works when backing up and I can turn it on for full time viewing, as I tow a SmartCar. The MH does not have any windows in the back, thus rear view camera.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought the RVS mirror monitor which replaces the stock mirror. Looks great, is mounted securely and is at perfect eye level.

IMG_1925 by Simon Kotsailidis, on Flickr

www.rearviewsafety.com
Looks great mounted up there. My question is does it show the rear view all the time while driving, or just in Reverse? I drive for Amazon and our van's have a very nice camera system showing all the time. I'd like to replicate that...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I told the wife a while back that I was gonna get a full time rear view setup. But I also told her I wasn't buying anything for the van for a while because we have other stuff going on. And we decided not to do gifts this year. Well, she was listening but didn't listen. She got me one for Xmas. It's a cheap one. Got it from Amazon and it literally has no name.
I think she said it was $100. I was going to return it because there isn't even a warranty or a manufacturer I can contact for anything.
I wired it up to a battery and the picture seems fine. It has a dash cam built in and a separate rear cam. So the screen is split by default. But it has a reverse wire which kicks it to full time rear view. If I wire the reverse wire together with the power wire it will just stay in full screen rear view. I'm debating returning it or just keeping it for the price. If I keep it and it takes a crap, I'm out $100 I coulda put towards a good brand.
Point to all that nonsense is you can just connect the reverse wire with the power wire instead of to the reverse circuit and it will stay on.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have it wired to come on full time when the key is on. The camera and monitor were $317
Sorry for all the questions, but you say you wired it to come on full time? I assume you ran something to power straight form the battery? My van has the back-up camera and rear view mirror view now, so is there a wiring harness I would just plug and play for the new rear view monitor?

·
Read Only
309 Posts
I took my van to an audio shop when I first got it to install a sub woofer. I had them run a dedicated fused circuit up to the parcel shelf and a dual usb outlet port up there. I just tapped into that circuit which was set up to turn on with the key. Like RnR mentioned, the rear view camera system uses a blue wire to trigger the reverse and they want you to connect that to the backup light. I just wired it together with the power wire so it comes on and stays on as long as the van is running.
The hardest part is just getting a dedicated circuit ran up to where you need it. The rest is easy. I didn't feel like doing it so I just paid the guy his $100 fee to do it. Well worth it for my time. Running the camera wire to the back of the van was easy due to all the holes allowing easy fishing by hand. I used a fish tape to pull the camera wire over the headliner to the monitor.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
And it would be even easier if you just have a monitor that mounts to the top of the dash, instead of the rear view mirror location. Then you can just run the wires down in the dash and tap into the cig lighter circuit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts