Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I found this over at the Ram Body Builders Site, 2016, Electrical/Wiring Information, Upfitter Power Connector. I haven't looked but apparently this plug is located at the bottom of the B pillar.

I'm not an electrical guy but it appears that if I had the mating connector made by MTA, I could use these 2 wires. Pin 1: Is it hot all the time? Pin 2: What does Power Ground mean? Any other info to help me understand the possible uses for these 2 wires would be appreciated.

I mistakenly posted this over in the How-To forum and am re-posting it here.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
My understanding is that it is hot an fused. The ground is covienience. I ended wiring to the battery because it was closer to my coach battery.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Convenience?

My understanding is that it is hot an fused. The ground is covienience. I ended wiring to the battery because it was closer to my coach battery.
RD, what do you mean "the ground is convenience"? I'm still looking for an easy way to power my fridge for the Feb/Mar trip as I don't have time to get the house battery installed.

Pin 1 looks to me like a perfect place to get an always on hot wire to run the fridge. Agreed?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,551 Posts
"Convenience" means that it is a good ground that is conveniently located on the plug right next to the hot wire (and is of equal CCC = current carrying capability).

Attaching a wire to the existing plug may be an issue, because you need the right lugs to insert into the plug housing (that's already there). I haven't used mine (yet), but I may change the end of the wire thatt's there to a more "convenient" connector. I use Anderson Powerpoles in my PM, so I may convert my connector to powerpoles if I decide to use it.

On my setup, I do have 12V outlets on the bottom of the B pillars mounted in the black cover at the bottom of the column. It was easy to just run a #12 wire cord from the battery to that location, so I didn't use the upfit wires provided.

I have a switched 12V, switched dual USB, and AC outlets on each side B pillar. My raised floor makes the black cover look shorter. There 's plenty of room for putting this kind of stuff in the black base covers.

The 50 or 70 amp fuse that's there will protect to wire in place, but you should add a smaller fuse appropriate to the fridge. Pin 1 is 12V +. Pin 2 is 12V - (or ground).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Proeddie - Thanks! Now I understand. Rather than make the upfitter run a separate ground, Dodge provided it.

I will investigate the Anderson Power Poles tonight.

I have a couple of questions about your photo:

You write that you have a switched 12V and a switched USB on each B pillar. In the photo to the left of the AC outlet, you appear to have 2 switched 12V power sockets with covers. Maybe I'm wrong. Could you give me a link to the covered connectors and the switches shown in the photo? Also to the dual USB? You probably can see that I'm a little confused but with your links, I'll figure it out.

What is to the right of the AC outlet?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,551 Posts
wc,

Here's a link to the 12V and USB sockets I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-USB-Ca...722411?hash=item1a09de706b:g:gKIAAOSw7FRWV~rx

I mounted them without the provided plate and connected them in series with the switch to their right. The dual USB socket uses 12V and converts it to the 5V USB ports provided.

To the right of the AC outlet is the recessed hole where the black cover is screwed into the B pillar.

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts