Ram Promaster Forum banner

Electrical problem…..

1497 Views 20 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Lisa Harris
My PM is having trouble with starting, S.O.S. alarm and Assist system. It’s 5 weeks old. It’s been reprogrammed. They couldn’t find anything wrong. The 2 systems where reprogrammed twice in same day. The starting problem has yet to be dealt with. Anyone having a problem with their 2022 PM 1500.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
628 Posts
When you say starting problems, what exactly is happening? How often are you experiencing the problem? Starts only sometimes and flashes those errors when it doesn't?

Does the engine fire up and then die? Or is it just cranking without firing up? Or does it not even crank, and nothing happens when you turn the key? Do you have remote start where you start the engine from your key fob?

· Registered
2022 on order, Hightop 139" Rambl’n Ruby
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say starting problems, what exactly is happening? How often are you experiencing the problem? Starts only sometimes and flashes those errors when it doesn't?

Does the engine fire up and then die? Or is it just cranking without firing up? Or does it not even crank, and nothing happens when you turn the key? Do you have remote start where you start the engine from your key fob?
When starting I press brake and then button to start. It does nothing. It’s the new keyless start system. After a couple tries it asks you to place fob at start button to start up.

· Registered
628 Posts
When starting I press brake and then button to start. It does nothing. It’s the new keyless start system. After a couple tries it asks you to place fob at start button to start up.
If it starts fine when you use the fob to push the start button, you either have a weak battery in the fob that needs to be replaced, or you need to have the fob replaced because it’s internal transmitter is bad.
Could also be that there’s problems with the battery contacts in the fob not making a solid connection to the batttery. I’d personally open up the fob and bend the contacts out to put more pressure on the battery first. Then replace the battery if that doesn’t work. Then have dealer diagnose it to get the fob replaced. Have you tried using your spare fob yet?

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it starts fine when you use the fob to push the start button, you either have a weak battery in the fob that needs to be replaced, or you need to have the fob replaced because it’s internal transmitter is bad.
Could also be that there’s problems with the battery contacts in the fob not making a solid connection to the batttery. I’d personally open up the fob and bend the contacts out to put more pressure on the battery first. Then replace the battery if that doesn’t work. Then have dealer diagnose it to get the fob replaced. Have you tried using your spare fob yet?
Fob was tested right away. There’s wasn’t an issue with the fob. We’re taking notes on all problems till my appointment. Will submit all then. So far there’s 3 electric problems/issues.

· Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
6,173 Posts
Fob was tested right away. There’s wasn’t an issue with the fob. We’re taking notes on all problems till my appointment. Will submit all then. So far there’s 3 electric problems/issues.
1) FOB & Engine not “turning over”
2) SOS issue
3) Assist

@Lisa Harris

IMO, one of the best ways of proceeding with your Dealership is everything in writing “emails”. If other items come up with your new van, make sure to make note & report them (no matter how small).

I am sure they will get to the bottom of it for you, however once “fixed”, you want clear documentation of what the problem was. It is working now is not a fix.

Dealerships are “communication connected” to all other Dealerships for “trouble shooting” issues. You have an appointment, ask them if they have already “posted” their “hey we have a customer with this issue, anyone of you Ram Techs encountered this issue & what is the fix”.😉

You can get “Stupid Talk”, from counter staff (more so than from the Techs). I have had my share. My most recent was around “the screw” for the rear camera housing - A Known Ram Defect. I told them “It is a Known Defect”. I had to have my van in 3 times for the warranty fix.

You have to be your own advocate for your warranty - It is the way the system is setup.

Good Luck with Your Repairs !!

· Registered
628 Posts
Sorry I just realized I wasn’t very clear above when I said:

“If it starts fine when you use the fob to push the start button…”

I didn’t mean push the start button on the fob (if your van came with remote start). I mean use the fob itself to physically push the start button on the dash.

The reason behind this is if the fob has a bad battery or is transmitting a weak signal that doesn’t reach the start button on your dash, touching the fob right up against the start button on your dash will let it start the van. And if that manages to work every time you do it that way, it will indicate that the fob needs replacing.

Did you try using your spare fob? And does that have the same exact issue? If so then I’m guessing it must be directly related to the SOS/assist system errors.

· Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
1,257 Posts
@squierfineart
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 2022 pm 2500 that has 4400 miles on it. It’s been in the dealership shop now for two weeks. I have 7 lights/codes show up for no reason. They have yet to find the source of the problem. Thank goodness it’s on warranty time. So far they have replaced wheel hub assembly’s thinking that was the source. I have been told they have to get STAR techs involved because they are out of ideas. My wife and I sharing a car isn’t not fun.
I have 7+errors showing…. I kept my PM till they get all the parts they need to replace. Still working on 1 more to come. They’re not sure what my problem is either. They’re just guessing. They even told me this.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi y’all. Got a call last last Tuesday that they got all my new wiring replaced and to please bring in my extra key fob to program it to the vehicle. Well they commenced trying to do the pairing and fried the fobs, Ordered new fobs and they came in today. Tomorrow I will let you know if it works. By the way some of the parts are being replaced for the second time.

· Premium Member
2021 3500 Extended
850 Posts
Sorry to hear that they are throwing parts at it & hoping they get lucky. With that many different codes being thrown, it sure makes things difficult. As stated earlier, I hope you are documenting all of this and keeping it organized. Copy everything and make two different folders, one to use and one to keep in a safe place.

· Registered
865 Posts
In California after 30 Days in the shop , no fix from dealership , one call to lemon law attorney, bye bye van , checks in the mail .
It's that simple.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts