Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
An electric furnace is not really very practical unless you are plugged in to shore power all the time. How big of a battery bank do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oso - same issues with an electric water heater. Current draw is just impractical. Espar/Webasto make heaters that tap into the gas tank to produce heat.

You can do electric heat, but a 900W heater pulls... 900W! I have a fairly large battery bank at ~6000W of Lithium which gives me ~4800W usable. That'd drain me in five hours!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Electric heaters are great when you have access to shore power, but as mentioned they are mostly impractical to run on batteries. My personal favorite is the "Cabin Heater" made by West Marine. It's designed for marine use and has a low profile which makes it stable and easy to store, an "anti freeze" setting that turns on automatically if the vehicle drops below 38, can be operated between 600-1500 watts depending on the settings and has independent fan and heat settings so you can fine tune it better. Another reassuring aspect is that it's made Canada! (NOT CHINA).

Reactions: Baxsie

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
7,395 Posts
I just ordered that heater. It is primarily branded and marketed by West Marine, but appears to be made by Caframo. I found it on Amazon branded as True North. (Same mfg part number) The "anti-freeze” mode should be very handy for the lithium.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I just ordered that heater. It is primarily branded and marketed by West Marine, but appears to be made by Caframo. I found it on Amazon branded as True North. (Same mfg part number) The "anti-freeze” mode should be very handy for the lithium.
Great minds thinking alike again! We bought the Caframo version 4 years ago for the build and continue to use it when parked at home in the winter. "Anti-freeze" setting keeps the van at about 50F. Great little heater when you have shorepower.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I use the vornado VMH10 heater in my van whenever I feel I can spare the power stored in my batteries. I find I can turn it on the the morning or evening to take the edge off the cold. It's a great little ultra quiet heater that does well. I can store it in the shelf above the driver cab too as it's pretty small. I have a Webasto I use when I can't spare the power, but in actual practice, probably about 60% of my heating BTUs come from my little Vornado heater, although I tend to avoid particularly cold climes. I have 200ah lithium storage and 400w solar.

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,437 Posts
I ordered the Amazon version. I was wondering how I was gonna deal with the batteries in freezing weather. This looks like a good solution. I did order a Mr heater Propane heater for cold mornings on the few local trips I will be taking. I hate the idea of propane, so I will use it sparingly.

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 3500 Silver high top 159"
703 Posts
I purchased the cheapest 500wt heater from Amazon and this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B083FJ7GKR

Heater, on floor near batteries and water, plugged into van, plugged into shore with sender on the galley counter.

The all-in-one of the Caframo heater is appealing.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I purchased the cheapest 500wt heater from Amazon and this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B083FJ7GKR

Heater, on floor near batteries and water, plugged into van, plugged into shore with sender on the galley counter.

The all-in-one of the Caframo heater is appealing.
I like that device! That and the radiator heater would have been a good antifreeze choice. I think it's the safest to leave on when no one is there. That's my concern with all of this.

OOPS! I went to Amazon and I apparently didn't hit "place order". So instead I ordered this, and I'll put my radiator heater in the van on those super cold weeks. We don't have that many of them here. Thanks for the link!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sure, the Webasto and Espar are great units but very expensive and just not in my budget. I like that Timberline too! I installed a CDH under the passenger seat and it was a pain as I had to rip up the floor but it worked out great. Same for the wiring, fuel line, diesel tank in garage, fuel pump under van near tank. However, it works awesome and will cook me out of the van if I leave it running all night, even in 30 degree temps. These knockoffs are a copy of the Espar and work very well if they are installed properly. Do your research and join the FB Chinese Diesel Heater group (54k members!). I spent $200 on the 7k version and another $25 or so upgrading some of the cheap hardware.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
7,395 Posts
After trying the Caframo heater for a few days, I am sending it back. Something rattles in it periodically, plus even without the rattle it is not as silent as advertised. Proeddie showed me his Vornado, which I liked a lot and seriously considered, but its shape and size are not compatible with my build.

So I’ve ordered a device as Larry described. I will use it with my 30-year-old Holmes heater that works just fine and would be perfect if it had a thermostat.

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 3500 Silver high top 159"
703 Posts
The Vornado is awesome, but large for a dinky van. Mine has been promoted to heating the garage in the winter.

NB pull one of the batteries on the remote when not in use. Otherwise you'll be replacing the batteries each season.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I think The one I’m getting will shut the heater on and off as the room temp changes. I hope it does that! Otherwise it’s not worth getting. It doesn’t have a visual thermometer but it must have one built in.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.