Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opened the hood in the late morning when the snow was melting, and because of the location of the ECU, there was some drippage onto the computer. Then the van wouldn't start. Then it did but was haywire and would die within a minute of starting. When it was running, the power steering wouldn't work, all the dash lights were on, the speedometer and other instruments were cycling on and off... it did not look good.

Is there a better way to diagnose this from home? I live several hours from a dealership, so a tow trip there would be a $$$

If it is the ECU is there a way to install a used ECU off eBay without dealership tools?

Any advice or sympathy is welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
From prior posts,
Check connectors for corrosion,
Your key is tied to your ECM, I understand that it will go for x amount of miles before it shuts off if you use an ECM that's not programmed with your VIN.
You can buy a plug and play ECM with your VIN programmed in.
That's all I got.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
What codes do you show. The ecm is water tight check the connections all, even the battery disconnect the negative clean and reconnect do the same on the positive side.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you replace the ecm it will not start. Not even for second, and it will lock the key in the ignition. I just went through it. I bought a new one from MOPAR drove it on the old one running like a turd to the dealer had the new one programmed. I first sent my old one out to be repaired, that was a waste of time and cost as much as a new one. I paid 287 for a new one. I also replaced the bcm at the same time. Reprogramming was 275. Part of that was removing the radio and getting the 4 digit security code from the back of it. I also installed both units in their parking lot. They will charge you book rate to that and it literally takes five minutes. I would have got the code from the radio had I known. You’ll need all the keys as well. They have to be programmed into the new ecm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pro3500 thanks. That's where I'm at for now. I disconnected the ECM and battery and then reconnected everything, but that just locked the key and wouldn't let the van start. Thanks. Looks like a trip to the dealership

1 - 5 of 5 Posts