Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

You've probably heard about it, but there will be a total eclipse of the sun with the path of totality following a path extending across the entire US from west to east. August 21, 2017.

The path of totality cuts across Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming and continues east. The path of totality is only a few miles wide in the north to south direction, so you will probably have to travel to see it. A lot of the US will get a partial eclipse, but being in the path of totality is a whole different experience.

Some good spots in eastern Oregon with full totality and high probability of good viewing weather. We decided to rent a place to stay rather than stay in the PM because the whole family is coming, but I can tell you from trying find a place that there is not much left, so make your plans now.

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/total-solar-eclipse.html

http://eclipsophile.com/oregon/

Gary

·
Registered
625 Posts
The path through Oregon is only a few hours south of us. I plan to head down in the van and find some backroads to boondock for a couple days. I fully expect to be disappointed with the number of folks out there, but I've also spent time out in that area of eastern Oregon and know a few places to go hide. ;)

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,544 Posts
We plan to be in the Wind Rivers, WY. Anybody we share it with will have hiked about 10 miles to get there.

The weather will likely be good, but it will not particularly bother me if it's not. The 1970 eclipse in Florida was stupendous even in the rain.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Long trip for us New Englanders.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There

I spend most summers in the Black Hills of SD. Just gonna drive a couple hours south to find an empty stretch of road somewhere in the middle of nowhere Nebraska or Wyoming. You don't get too many chances for a total eclipse.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We are drifting around in the West (MT, WY, ID) and hope to find a remote spot a few days before and boondock to see it. Reservation anywhere are full.
Hi,
I think that staking our your spot a couple days ahead of the eclipse is a really good plan.

The traffic projections are amazing. The Idaho DOT is projecting 1 million visitors to Idaho for the eclipse.
Little towns in the path of totality like Cascade, ID are projected to get 25,000+ visitors -- 25 times their population.

We will be coming down from McCall, ID (just north of totality where we are staying) down to Cascade and thinking about getting up at 3 am on E day.

Finding something like BLM land that you can do "dispersed" camping on seems like a good idea as the regular campgrounds are going to fill early.

Don't forget to get you eclipse glasses -- or #14 welding shade.

Gary

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
GaryBIS makes a good point. NEVER look directly at the sun, NEVER. Well during totality you can but as soon as a bit of sun emerges don't be looking.
These glasses work by reflecting almost all the light using mylar probably, and are safe I believe, if they are cared for and are not allowed to get scratched! Enjoy I gotta wait until April 2024 for the next one thats nearby me.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Ecli...id=1501106269&sr=8-3&keywords=eclipse+glasses

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
411 Posts
If I am lucky and the weather in Kansas is good, then I only have a three hour drive to the center of the path of totality; so I am waffling over getting up very early the day of and driving up (no fighting for a campsite, but a really early start to the day), or trying to find a campsite much closer. I don't think I'll fight for a site within totality, but rather target something like Salina or Melford lake that might not be as hammered.

If the weather is bad, and if I can determine that soon enough, then I'll head out for where-ever the weather is good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,
I think that staking our your spot a couple days ahead of the eclipse is a really good plan.

The traffic projections are amazing. The Idaho DOT is projecting 1 million visitors to Idaho for the eclipse.
Little towns in the path of totality like Cascade, ID are projected to get 25,000+ visitors -- 25 times their population.

We will be coming down from McCall, ID (just north of totality where we are staying) down to Cascade and thinking about getting up at 3 am on E day.

Finding something like BLM land that you can do "dispersed" camping on seems like a good idea as the regular campgrounds are going to fill early.

Don't forget to get you eclipse glasses -- or #14 welding shade.

Gary
We are driving up to ID fro Las Vegas for the eclipse. We just got back from Home Depot and they are even selling eclipse glasses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts