Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added a simple sliding door bug screen to my camper that cost only $40. It is useful where the door will be open for some time since the screen is put up when the door is open and removed prior to closing the door. This works out fine for most camping situations.

All I did was modify a magnetic-closing bug screen from Amazon and place sticky Velcro around the door opening. Here is the screen I purchased:

The modification consists of ripping the seam on the left edge trim and Velcro, trimming the width to 56 inches, and sewing the edge trim and Velcro back on. Then install the sticky Velcro provided with the screen around the van doorway close to the sealing gasket. The top strip of Velcro should go in the channel just below the door track. Here are some photos showing the screen installed.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just purchased that same screen for this very purpose. Thanks for being the guinea pig and working out the bugs :)

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
z120pi,
Big thanks.
Now you have done this can you think (imagine) a way to install it inside the door to allow the door to close w/o removing the screen? I expect to get the same one for my trip across the S. USA in the spring. There are bugs down there in May right?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,969 Posts
I had another screen flagged for this mod, but I like this one better.

It could be put inside, but would require putting Velcro on the plastic trim. I'd rather not do that, but totally possible.

·
Registered
810 Posts
So you have to take the entire thing down and stow it before you close the door, right?
Good job and thanks for sharing

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you have to take the entire thing down and stow it before you close the door, right?
Good job and thanks for sharing
Yes, it takes about 30 seconds to put up and 10 seconds to take down. I don't have room for attaching the screen inside because the dinette bench is very close to the door.

·
Registered
2014 3500ext Gas - VA
252 Posts
Perfect timing! I have same exact screen awaiting installation... thanks for taking the guess work out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
So--one year later, how has this mosquito netting modification worked for you? We are looking at buying Skeeter Beaters (theskeeterbeater.com) for ours, but this looks better. Has it held up for you? Did you find that the wind blew the door apart too much?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Reviving an old thread for further comments. What is state of the art in bug screens in 2020? How about for the back door?

I'm about to go down this rabbit hole.

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Finally installed them, will test out camping with them this weekend. Fit seems pretty good, wasn't sure how much overlap we would want when we measured for them. We will have to add weights or magnets to the bottoms eventually. The velcro is just around the door on the inside, we haven't put up trim there yet so we'll have to come up with a more elegant solution down the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They look great! Any issues on the camping trip??

Could you let me know which dimensions you ordered for the back?

·
Registered
205 Posts
The only issue was the back door screen got caught in the lower door latch once, so it has a small hole in it already. I think we could get away with it being an inch shorter in height, so we may move the mounting velcro up a little. We ordered it 66" W x 74" H, middle opening.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts