Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Homing in on solutions but am anticipating a missing something.

My electrical flow is like this-
Shore-->surge protector---> 2x30 amp breaker box.
1 30 amp to air conditioner and frig so the air conditioner and frig will only work
when on shore power (yes the frig also works on DC and will have its on DC circuit)
1 30 amp---->inverter-charger--->AC/DC distribution panel-->everything other than frig/air conditioner

I have the box for the 2 x 30 amp breakers but don't I need something after it, before the air conditioner
and frig. Like a mini mini AC distribution box? or do I go from the 2x30 amp breaker box to the air conditioner and frig?

·
Registered
627 Posts
but don't I need something after it, before the air conditioner
and frig. Like a mini mini AC distribution box?

Most circuit distribution panels include a main breaker feeding individual branch breakers. In your home, for example, you will have a 100/200 amp main breaker feeding a bunch of 15/20 amp branches. There's a huge difference between 200 and 20. One cannot expect a 200 amp breaker to protect #14 wires to an outlet or ceiling lamp.

Here, where your branch breakers are much closer to the main (20 amps for the air conditioner?), you could probably get by without branch breakers. You could 'size' your wiring for the higher 30 amp current allowed by your main breaker. But for us, branch breakers (AC or DC) serve a second function - - they serve not only to protect the wiring, but to protect against a malfunctioning appliance. If the current of any appliance unexpectedly 'jumps', it is likely that such appliance is malfunctioning. To the extent practical, we would like the branch breaker to dump such a load.

We are using the fairly inexpensive WFCO 8930 distribution panel for our AC branch breakers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts