Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting on our new PM 136 and was looking for comments about which of these to use, Dynamat Superlite or Xtreme, and how much we will need for the PM 136 hightop. From reading the forums it looks like we only need to cover 25-50%. I'm also going to use thinsulate 600L for insulation.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Just starting on our new PM 136 and was looking for comments about which of these to use, Dynamat Superlite or Xtreme, and how much we will need for the PM 136 hightop. From reading the forums it looks like we only need to cover 25-50%. I'm also going to use thinsulate 600L for insulation.
I bought the box that is $150. 36sf Xtreme

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Mass loading products like Dynamat are used to control resonance in body panels by adding weight to lower the natural resonance frequency to a value outside the audible range. They don't block or absorb noise especially lower frequencies (booming) because that is a function of material thickness. (noise wave length has to be less than material thickness). Thinsulate(TM) which is much thicker (1 3/4") controls resonance AND blocks noise AND provides thermal insulation.

You do not need Dynamat, Noico or Fatmat if you use Thinsulate(TM). This is a significant cost, effort, and weight savings. I know we can't convince everyone. Our customers who take this advice are very happy with the performance of the Thinsulate(TM) as a comprehensive solution.

https://youtu.be/cy7088RtB8E?list=PL6hY8o9nJCeIi609KTNQBpEvWPL1u96dZ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Hein you saved me time and money! I already ordered the thinsulate from you a couple of days ago.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Mass loading products like Dynamat are used to control resonance in body panels by adding weight to lower the natural resonance frequency to a value outside the audible range. They don't block or absorb noise especially lower frequencies (booming) because that is a function of material thickness. (noise wave length has to be less than material thickness). Thinsulate(TM) which is much thicker (1 3/4") controls resonance AND blocks noise AND provides thermal insulation.

You do not need Dynamat, Noico or Fatmat if you use Thinsulate(TM). This is a significant cost, effort, and weight savings. I know we can't convince everyone. Our customers who take this advice are very happy with the performance of the Thinsulate(TM) as a comprehensive solution.

I'm guessing it isn't hurting to have the dynamat and I can tell you it alone quieted the van considerably. Maybe it isn't needed with the thinsulate but once the thinsulate is in if you think it needs it you're screwed. We're spending $20-35k or more on these vans. What's $150 and a few hours of time for the dynamat. It'd be hard to convince me that a van without it is more quiet than 1 with it.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Hey hold on now. I spent $5700 counting the lowered bases and swivel I just bought, the Espar heater, solar, fan, cabinets, batteries, and even an awning. I did not use the sound deadener so perhaps that made up the $30,000 difference? I did use Polyisocyanurate and the van is much quieter. I may opt for some deadener on the wheel wells as they generate a lot of noise.

·
Super Moderator
10,659 Posts
I have to agree - using sound deader under/behind insulation and cabinets is nothing more than a waste of time and money. I put absolutely no sound dealer in my van. ;)

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Just my 2 cents;

The first thing that I installed was RattleTrap, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TUQLY2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

As you can see from the pictures I covered the entire floor and wheel wells. It made a huge difference right away.

Adding Reflectix, the rubber floor mat that came with the PM, 1/2" plywood and carpet makes it really quiet.

The sides and ceiling are also insulated to about R13 with a combination of Reflectix, foam board and Denim insulation (UltraTouch).

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,488 Posts
Hill, Bill and Lee say that lime green shag carpet the neighbor threw out glued to the wheel well's and if you put a resonator box around your wheel wells glue some to the inside of that too, it works. It has mass load, fiber and cheap.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,816 Posts
You wasted lime green shag carpet?? My remnant from 1981 is a precious commodity. Really. I use it for cat scratching posts. It was the only carpet I ever had that I liked.

And on topic, I've never regretted using Dynamat Ultra. I'll never know if it was necessary, but what if I hadn't and later wished I had??

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Whew- then I’m sort of “Normal” (for the first time?) and my total of $39,800 must put me in the top quartile. In my defense I did split for a new diesel adding $4,000 MSRP along with the conversion.
Lastly I have seen your electrical engineered van, Winston, and your conversion looks like $30K (a complement by the way)

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I did say “first time” Now on topic....... I have my rear wheel wells inside partially enclosed boxes and under the bed mattress and we store some stuff in there like bath towels, sandals, you know, extra crap. They are seldom full. Would one of these mass loaded sound deadeners make much difference? How about the front wheel wells? Anyone covered them or is what's there about all you can do. I have the van quieted enough so the tire noise is now the loudest sounds, unless a truck passes of course.

·
Registered
60 Posts
3M Thinsulate (TM) SM600L Acoustic Thermal Automotive Insulation

Hi how much 3M Thinsulate (TM) SM600L Acoustic Thermal Automotive Insulation is needed for 136 high PM? i want to put this on ceiling too .
and what type of glue is used ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts