Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, that nasty pervasive stuff that we're finding here in NM.

Does anyone live on a dirt road? We drove about 40 miles today on some backcountry dirt roads. The PM handled them great, even the dried ruts from the last rain, but when we got home, WOW, I opened the back doors to find this...

I can't believe how bad the seals are. Everything was coated in dust.

Wondering if this is something that FCA would cover???

·
Registered
86 Posts
I live in Alberta and drive gravel roads daily. My van looks similar to yours after just a few miles.
Going to try running the roof vent in reverse to see if that helps.

·
Registered
Promaster 2500
109 Posts
I have a friend in Australia, he had a Ducato for 5 years and he told me that he had that problem too. Not only through the backdoor but also by the sliding door.
He also rented a RV Ducato in New Zealand and had a similar situation. He ended up covering the whole door opening with plastic film.
I wonder if we can add gasket to the doors as they seem very basic.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in Alberta and drive gravel roads daily. My van looks similar to yours after just a few miles.
Going to try running the roof vent in reverse to see if that helps.
Good idea, wish I would have thought about this yesterday. Pressurize the cabin to try to keep it out. I will try that next time

Thanks

·
Registered
756 Posts
I had water intrusion the last half-day rainstorm I drove through so while the van was in for the free oil change I asked them to look at it and also mentioned my wife said it didn't seem to be fully closing at the back with a LOT of noise & air getting though the lower part of the back door(s)... My dealer replaced a latch-side rear door gasket, the bottom edge one mounted to the door. Also they used black silicone to fill gaps between sections of body mounted gaskets. I just went out and looked at it and it still doesn't appear to be a friction fit against the back floor by looking at the dust/dirt on the gasket itself. It might be time for some dense foam tape to go on the back floor drop-off so the gaskets do compress on closure.

Driving Alaska gravel roads I've seen tips advising to close all windows and set the vehicles ventilation fan on high (defrost was suggested) to better pressurize the cab & reduce road dust infiltration - often times there will be rafts of cars & trucks training along in the wake those before them with little or no chance to maneuver into cleaner air.

Also - we have a Mercury that was the first year of a 'cabin air filter' as standard equipment so that might be something to check to see if it is there and in good shape. No gravel roads here, we ended up removing it as it restricted air flow too much, we like fresh cabin air...

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,001 Posts
Hi,
I live at the end of a 1.5 mile gravel road and have traveled a number of gravel roads while camping with the PM. I've never noticed any accumulation of dust on the inside of my back doors.

Wonder if the rubber seals around the door are set up right?

Gary

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to try adjusting the doors, then go find another dusty road :)

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have driven some dusty dirt roads and I haven't had too much dust come in. However, I have two problems with the door seals:

1. The rear right door doesn't seal at the bottom left. The latch is in the middle of the door, so the bottom is able to flex outwards a bit. I have pulled the latch in as far as it can go.

2. The sliding side door leaks water at the top left. I have also pulled the latch and the catches in as far as possible.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm going to try adjusting the doors, then go find another dusty road :)

Thanks everyone!
When I first got mine (2014) I noticed that the rear passenger side rattled just a bit.
When I looked close, I noticed that the rear driverside bottom 'hook' never even hooked the catch.
I had to move the bottom catch to the right AND to the front a bit to get it right.
Then went thru the others to get a good tight closure.
good luck

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,544 Posts
I got a huge pile of snow in the rear doors the first winter. Tech adjusted the latch and problem went away. Last month, without my asking, they replaced the rear latch when van was in for side door repair.

·
Registered
888 Posts
There is a service bulletin to replace all rear door catches for better sealing. I took my van in to have rear bumper replaced under warranty because it split where I step. Dealer informed me he was required to replace my door catches if my van ever came in for service.

I talked him into not touching my doors. Mine (2014) work better than my friends 2015 Promaster.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is a service bulletin to replace all rear door catches for better sealing. I took my van in to have rear bumper replaced under warranty because it split where I step. Dealer informed me he was required to replace my door catches if my van ever came in for service.

I talked him into not touching my doors. Mine (2014) work better than my friends 2015 Promaster.
hmmmm, I found the TSB, it seems that it's only for 2014 models. Mine is an early 2015.

I'll ask the dealer here to take a look.

Thanks

2014 Ram Promaster Structure Service Bulletin 379351

Action Number: 10058042
Service Bulletin Number: 379351 Report Date: Jun 20, 2015
Component: Structure
Summary: Chrysler 2014 ram pro master: bulletin information involves rattle noise of rear door which requires replacing rear door center striker in addition to lower and upper rear door latches. *lj

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
It might be time for some dense foam tape to go on the back floor drop-off so the gaskets do compress on closure.

Have you added any foam tape to the back door area?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,546 Posts
...Dealer informed me he was required to replace my door catches if my van ever came in for service.

I discussed it with my dealer too and he has notated on the service sheet from that visit, "customer requests that door adjustment not be done".... my 2014 seems to be OK... so far.

Not a lot of dusty roads near here. Not heading out looking for any!

·
Registered
756 Posts
It might be time for some dense foam tape to go on the back floor drop-off so the gaskets do compress on closure.
Nawsir, I have not added a build-up layer of anything on my '14, had that gasket swapped out by the dealer for air gap & a little water intrusion... We'll go out after dark w/ maglite flashlight and look for light leaks...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As a follow up. I finally got out to the van this last weekend and adjusted the latches and catches as much as I could.

I then went inside and there is a huge gap between the doors about 6" down from the top where it looks like the passenger side door is warped out and will not meet up with the driver side.

I'm going to take it in to the deal next chance I get.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Dealer has had my van for 9 weeks this visit. All because of the rear doors. They are replacing both doors because of the gap near the top like you have. When hit with a hose water comes in and thats when they agreed to replace them. This is not something the dealer can decide, I just happen to stop by on a day when a rep from Chrysler was there. He made the decision. I love my van and really want it fixed. Problem is this is its 8th trip with most trips being 1 week in duration and I have less than 10,000 miles. Feeling discouraged at this point.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts