Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like I saw a post about this but can't find it.

My cargo area gets covered in dust really bad when I drive down dirt roads. I'm pretty sure that the rear doors need adjustment because they rattle going over bumps, so I'm guessing they aren't sealing properly and that's where the dust is coming is. The only other place I can think of would be the vent flaps that allow pressure to exit when you open and shut the doors. Has anyone else had a problem with dust coming in? If so, did adjusting the rear doors cure it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Put chain on the seals

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Put colored chalk on the seals, you should see it on the white.....

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
763 Posts
There are three itty-bitty rubber bump stops that set the adjustment plane of the back door latches ... Make sure they exist, even find some weatherstripping adhesive to keep them from getting brushed off & lost.

I just found & reinstalled the single lower bump-stop on the drivers side, if missing it will not allow the passenger side door to become clamped tightly closed since it keys into the drivers door to lock tight, this may be cause for rattles on bumps, dust intrusion from air gaps and cut paint from gaskets vibrating with sand/dust caught on them as it merrily oscillates --- > see picture, to the left on the vertical face of the door sill plate, above the bumper trim, there is a grey smudge that is actually cut through the primer to bare metal from the last 1,000 mile leg road trip session I just finished...

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
Thanks for the Pic, Zooomyn.
After much adjusting, I had to remove that latch and enlarge the thru bolt holes ALOT to give me more adjustment.
Now the lower flatch in the driver's side hooks up correctly and tight.
I did forget to check the upper passenger side though. Thats next.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We travel dirt roads in our 2014 Hi Top 136WB regularly. Dust comes in from the two bottom corners onto the sill, but no further. It's at the "joints" of the weather seals. I can't really see how to make those tighter and it's only been an annoyance, not a problem. We have NOT had to adjust our doors, but "MAY" have caused a bit of a problem when adding our Curt Hitch that we converted to be a bumper step also. (see other post on rear step) I firmly believe that the trick is to get a air deflector such as what Deflecta Shield made for our older vans, on to this one. But so far, all I've found is a large aluminum one for buses and such, and I don't want to risk catching low tree branches with it, because I'm not convinced the van structure will survive that. I want to make a Lexan deflector that will fail if caught by a branch.

Point is, with those on our older shorter vans, no, and I mean NO DUST accumulated on the back of the vans AT ALL. Gas mileage improved too, getting rid of that "vacuum" back there caused by the square rear end.

HTH

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice. I'll see how much I can adjust the doors when I get the van back.

·
Registered
468 Posts
seems to me the dust comes in from behind the rear bumper cover. if you were to seal the top of the rear bumper cover to the body with double sided tape or black caulking it would help resolve the problem. I have not sealed mine yet but I'm going to real soon.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just installed a 120v inlet in the rear bumper and ran the new wire along the existing hitch wiring. The hitch wires enter the van on the left side through a large grommet about 2 inches square which is not sealed well. It looks to me that this is where at least some of the dust is coming into our vans, at least on mine I did notice more dust in the left rear corner. I will be sealing this up and looking for others not sealed well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
seems to me the dust comes in from behind the rear bumper cover. if you were to seal the top of the rear bumper cover to the body with double sided tape or black caulking it would help resolve the problem. I have not sealed mine yet but I'm going to real soon.
If you remove your rear bumper cover, you'll discover that the seals are all to the inside of the bumper cover. If you try what you describe, do it or test with something removable first, because I think you'll find it won't help. In other words, the seals should function fully without the rear bumper cover even installed.

Unless, as I mentioned above, the added thickness of the hitch plates may be holding the door out a bit off of the seals, but it did not change the operation of the latches at all when we installed it. Dust seems to be coming in at the joints where the seal strips, re: door mounted vs body mounted, meet when the doors close. HTH

·
Registered
468 Posts
Here is the area I see the most dust. Its in the middle the on the driver side door as you can see a small part of the bumper cover can bee seen from inside the door and the gap between the bumper cover and the door seems to be where I get my dust. I haven't really investigated it to much as it has not bothered me very much. I tried to get a few different angles the 3rd and last picture is with the door partially open just to show the bumper cover better.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
There are three itty-bitty rubber bump stops that set the adjustment plane of the back door latches ... Make sure they exist, even find some weatherstripping adhesive to keep them from getting brushed off & lost.

I just found & reinstalled the single lower bump-stop on the drivers side, if missing it will not allow the passenger side door to become clamped tightly closed since it keys into the drivers door to lock tight, this may be cause for rattles on bumps, dust intrusion from air gaps and cut paint from gaskets vibrating with sand/dust caught on them as it merrily oscillates --- > see picture, to the left on the vertical face of the door sill plate, above the bumper trim, there is a grey smudge that is actually cut through the primer to bare metal from the last 1,000 mile leg road trip session I just finished...
Do you have the part number for that bump stop in the pic that goes on the metal bracket where the bottom of the driver side door latches? I'm missing that and can't seem to find it when I do a search.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
I think the air vents are designed to depressurize the van when you close the doors so the flaps would open out, not in. Of course, anything is possible!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm trying to decide if I should block the airvents. I am doing a double layer of polyiso so the vent would only be venting between the walls anyway. If this can let dust and moisture in I should shut it. I doubt the air exchange will still work once between walls anyway. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Those vents' only purpose is to make the doors close easier. Without them, you'll be slamming doors a lot harder when no other vents are open (windows, etc). You could always try temporarily blocking them and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts