Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
There is two elements to the flip key. There is the transponder function, and there is the remote function. On the non-remote key there is an antenna built into the self-contained chip. In the flip, there is a 14 leg surface mount chip that is hard wired to an antenna at the end of the board.

Both of them are passive, and are energized by the transceiver that dwells around the ignition lock cylinder. The transceiver creates a magnetic field which energizes the transponder, which in turn begins to transmit it's code back to the transceiver. It is the same principle that allows you to illuminate a light bulb that is connected to nothing, by creating a strong magnetic field.

It is pretty amazing that you have 3 auto smiths in your area, and not one of them has even a high-security duplicator, much less a machine that code cuts. Where are you from? Maybe I should drop a van in your area!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you still have a problem with your van. If you only have a range of 3 feet, there are issues. The fact that you now have 3 fobs, and they are all giving you no range, gives confirmation that the problem dwells with the van, not the keys. I suspect the BCM. That would also explain radio problems you might be having.

The Micropod II is substantially more than $3,200, by the time you buy the necessary subscriptions. Nevertheless, all the mainstream aftermarket programmers can do these now. I only mentioned the Micropod as a reference to those who were saying it is dealer only to program these keys. It isn't nor has it ever been dealer only, and with recent developments, any automotive locksmith worth their salt will have the ability to do them, whether they own a micropod or not.

If you want an emergency key, just have someone cut you a flip blade. If none of the locals can cut them, find a competant smith. Text them a picture of your key, and they can cut a flip blade and send it to you. Also, if you bave the card that came with the van that shows the mechanical key code, they can cut it off of that.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an FYI. There is now an aftermarket solution for the flip keys. There is only one particular programmer that can program them. It is fairly common unit, and many automotive locksmiths will have the programmer. It has full remote function.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just an FYI. There is now an aftermarket solution for the flip keys. There is only one particular programmer that can program them. It is fairly common unit, and many automotive locksmiths will have the programmer. It has full remote function.
Hey Taylor,
I've been looking everywhere for someone who can duplicate the one power key I have for my PM. Actually, all I want is a "dumb" key to keep on me while I go rowing, but I wouldn't mind having another power key either. The only options I've found for either a power key or a dumb key are hundreds of dollars. Please share your solution and programmer. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please be aware that all newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. Promasterforum.com Introduction Section Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you mak
Hey Taylor,
I've been looking everywhere for someone who can duplicate the one power key I have for my PM. Actually, all I want is a "dumb" key to keep on me while I go rowing, but I wouldn't mind having another power key either. The only options I've found for either a power key or a dumb key are hundreds of dollars. Please share your solution and programmer. Thanks!
Were you able to figure out a "Dumb" key solution? I need the same for when I get in the water.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I bought two dumb keys for surfing from this seller in UK. It took about a week to get it (to California). Don't know if the covid thing will effect the shipping time. The good thing, this seller provide the key code after you sent him a pic of the key profile so you can use the key code to cut the same key.
I probably called a dozen local locksmiths, most can't cut me a dumb key or it was more expensive than the dealer.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I somehow dropped this thread. If you just need a key to unlock the door, you can email or text me a picture of your key, and I can cut one and send it to you for $10.

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
108 Posts
Hi Taylor. You seem to be an expert with this, so here's my quandary:

I bought a used 2017 PM 2500 HR 159 that came with one key. I picked up a few extras on ebay not knowing what a PITA this was going to be.

Long story short, after finally tracking down a dealership who had the laser cutter for the keys, they said they were unable to program them. I went to a local locksmith down the street who said they needed to be "pre-coded" in order to pair them.

So, I called another locksmith who said he could pre-code keys. When he showed up, he said that normally there's a $15k machine that will pre-code keys but he has another way to do it without it.

After hooking up his computer, he said that he noticed that my BCM is locked and that appeared to be unusual. Somehow, he was able to bypass that and gave me my PIN which he said to hold onto because it was important thing to have. I thought we were going to be good but then he got to a point where it said that in order to begin programming it was going to have to erase all the keys and he (probably wisely) decided to abort.

So, I have a few keys which I guess aren't totally useless as I can always use them for lockout purposes, but I'd still love to get them fully working if it's still possible. I just don't know what questions to ask other locksmiths to find out if they have the right equipment or know what they're doing enough to properly program them.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,278 Posts
The easiest way is to find a dealer who can order and program a key for a Promaster. Shop around for the best price. Might not be the cheapest, but it's the safest way.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,278 Posts
So, I have a few keys which I guess aren't totally useless as I can always use them for lockout purposes, but I'd still love to get them fully working if it's still possible. I just don't know what questions to ask other locksmiths to find out if they have the right equipment or know what they're doing enough to properly program them.
@Carkeys 911 might be able to shed some light on the topic.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes on these vehicles the transponder chip has to be pre-coded with security information that resides in the modules of the van. There is sporadic success getting the flip keys to precode correctly and program. My success with non remote transponder keys for the Promaster is 100%.

I can understand his apprehensiveness about not wanting to proceed with programming. Working on these Vans is not for the hobbyist or for those that really don't know what they're doing. It is true that when you program keys to these vehicles all keys are erased out of the system. Also, any keys not present during programming will be kicked out of the system forever and can never be put back in. So you really have to know what you are doing, and if you don't you can leave a vehicle bricked that was running before you started on it.

This is something I would never back away from. Because I know I have the correct equipment and if the keys are not functional I know for sure I can put the originals back in.

As far as the BCM being locked, you might have dodged a bullet on that one if the van is still starting and everything functioning properly that is controlled by the BCM. During the pre coding and programming process you have to cut power to the BCM. Otherwise, you can cause some problems. If you have a scanner run a scan and see if you get the locked BCM code again. If you do clear the code, cycle the ignition and run another scan and see if it comes back. If it does come back turn the key on and put a battery charger on the battery and leave the key in the on position for 1 hour. After about an hour 5 10 minutes is up, clear the code again before you turn the key off, then turn the key off and on, and start it. Cycle the key off and on, then run another scan and see if you still have a locked BCM.

My gut feeling is that it will clear the first time you clear codes and not come back. Because it really shouldn't be running if the BCM is locked.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
P S. eBay keys are questionable on their best day. I never would have cut your keys personally. I have seen too many $150 dollar cutters with smoke coming off of them. Some Chinese keys have steel blades that I can test for with a magnet. However, they just buy scrap metal, melt it down, and make key blades. I have run into ridiculously hard alloys.

I used to program Chinese keys if customers got them cut elsewhere. I stopped doing that too. The customer would always want to blame me if their key didn't work, or if it quit working 2 weeks later. Often the transponder portion would program, but the remote portion would not function. At times, they would have 2 identical keys. One would program and one would not.

There is just no way that a $15-20 key is going to have the quality of an OEM key that cist $160+

I think Phil's advice is good. Get a key from the dealer. It will come precoded to your van. Let them program it, or take it to a reputable locksmith. Not someone who knowa a workaround. ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
I agree, just pay the dealer for a key with transponder. I got a key from the dealer but I did shop around and found a cheapest one next to my house(make sure to ask what is the programming fee, it range from free to$150. I also got a key only without transponder from a UK eBay seller for when I go surfing and all he need is a pic of the key and he also provide the key code for future cuts. I have no luck with my local locksmiths.

Reactions: JaPilgrim

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,278 Posts
One day I may call these people and see who they recommend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please be aware that all newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. Promasterforum.com Introduction Section Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you mak
P S. eBay keys are questionable on their best day. I never would have cut your keys personally. I have seen too many $150 dollar cutters with smoke coming off of them. Some Chinese keys have steel blades that I can test for with a magnet. However, they just buy scrap metal, melt it down, and make key blades. I have run into ridiculously hard alloys.

I used to program Chinese keys if customers got them cut elsewhere. I stopped doing that too. The customer would always want to blame me if their key didn't work, or if it quit working 2 weeks later. Often the transponder portion would program, but the remote portion would not function. At times, they would have 2 identical keys. One would program and one would not.

There is just no way that a $15-20 key is going to have the quality of an OEM key that cist $160+

I think Phil's advice is good. Get a key from the dealer. It will come precoded to your van. Let them program it, or take it to a reputable locksmith. Not someone who knowa a workaround. ;)
Sorry, I somehow dropped this thread. If you just need a key to unlock the door, you can email or text me a picture of your key, and I can cut one and send it to you for $10.

P.s. I can send you the key code too.

Taylor, I would like to have you make me a couple of spare keys, without chip. Can you contact me at [email protected] ? Cheers, Frank

·
Registered
7 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted.
I lost my key the day after learning that Ace Hardware can make a key for 2019 and 2020 Promasters but not earlier versions. My local Mopar dealer said they would sell me a key with transponder for $185. It would need to be programmed at the dealership which would be another $80. After 8 days I was told it had not arrived. The 9th day I was told "it was cancelled by Chrysler". They said to contact Fiat! I finally got my new key on day 13. This astounds me. What if I was a struggling businessman dependent on the utility of my PM 3500? Has this long wait happened to any other PM owner? Could I have gotten a key sooner through another source?

·
Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
200 Posts
What Year is the Promaster ?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,278 Posts
Your dealer is the issue, my key arrived on day 2 (I didn't get the order in on time) from the daily parts truck out of Chicago.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts