Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know whether they are building (or will build) Ducatos in the same factory where they build ProMasters?

I understand that Ducatos have been available in South America and Mexico for many years, but I assume they have been built in Europe.

Fiat probably decided that they had to build the ProMaster in North America to avoid the "Chicken Tax" (and thus remain cost-competitive with American-built Transits and Sprinters), but it's seem like a side benefit of committing to the new factory is that they could build Ducatos there to be sold in Mexico and South America.

Just wondering. Oh, has anyone been to the ProMaster factory?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mexico assembled vehicles are sold in the USA and Canada without import duties. It was controversial when passed, a free trade agreement for all three countries, passed by all three countries, quite awhile ago. North American Free Trade Agreement? Commercial over the road transport trucks, freely cross borders and operate in all three countries, regardless of which country they are registered.

Greg Hayden

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here's a pretty good explanation of the "chicken tax"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

It is interesting the lengths that manufacturers have to go to in order to avoid the 50-year old tax law. Read about the Transits and the Sprinters.
Making the ProMasters in Mexico makes a lot more sense than what the others are doing.

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
Not sure but when I was in Peru a few years ago I saw a lot of them (Peugeot branded) and I think they were made in Argentina as the South American market Sprinters are.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been to the Saltillo Assembly Plant - as one of the most modern assembly plants in the world, it was quite an impressive place.

Mexican Ducatos (and Peugeot Boxers also available in MX) will be replaced next year with ProMasters only...sorry Fiat and Peugeot dealers...

The SAP is being geared up to supply ProMasters to Mexico and product (not sure if ProMaster/Ducato/Boxer/Jumper) to other Central American countries as well.

Right now only one shift/day is running...they can scale to three to meet demand

·
Registered
90 Posts
pm007 do you know what paint process Chrysler-Fiat is using on the ProMaster? The steel is galvanized, which gives it an advantage over earlier Sprinters in corrosion resistance. One of the biggest complaints about the Sprinter, particularly the white ones and even new ones, is rust. Wondering if the Promaster will be significantly better.

·
Registered
164 Posts
pm007 do you know what paint process Chrysler-Fiat is using on the ProMaster? The steel is galvanized, which gives it an advantage over earlier Sprinters in corrosion resistance. One of the biggest complaints about the Sprinter, particularly the white ones and even new ones, is rust. Wondering if the Promaster will be significantly better.
I have been in many Chrysler automotive assembly paint shops over the past 18 years and I have never seen any sheet metal that wasn't zinc plated. The anti-chip powder coat paint primer is truly amazing but not too sure if the PM has it. Paint process has evolved immensely over the last 2 decades.

·
Registered
247 Posts
In Europe the last Ducato has absolutely no problems of rust. The previous one had problems, but only after at least 10-12 years traveling on salt spreaded roads...

·
Registered
90 Posts
In Europe the last Ducato has absolutely no problems of rust. The previous one had problems, but only after at least 10-12 years traveling on salt spreaded roads...
Great info, thanks Vale72. This is quite a contrast to the Sprinter, and one of the main reasons that I didn't buy one a year or so ago. Been waiting for the diesel ProMaster ever since. I thought the Transit might be an option, but they really messed up with the sizing options in my opinion. Ram got it just about right in that regard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts