Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I told my son how much I love my “Ducato” he went out and bought this:

How much one letter can change a meaning!

·
Registered
3 Posts
On this topic. I have a pretty clear design in my head that involves a custom 2" hitch mount on the front of the van (yes, lots of custom metal work and finding frame mount point) Onto the hitch goes a motorbike tray. I know you all are very good at poking holes in extravagant theories. Any reason this is excessively absurd? So far, I've thought it might be impossible to make a hitch strong enough, and that putting a dirtbike up front might detract from the radiator efficiency or interfere with headlights, or be illegal?

The rationale is that I live in my Promaster full time and don't want to drive it everywhere I need to go.... or anywhere besides the highway... if I had a bike. I also am not interested in any of the current swing or tilt options that restrain rear access because my build is mountain bike garage centric design.

·
Registered
538 Posts
On this topic. I have a pretty clear design in my head that involves a custom 2" hitch mount on the front of the van (yes, lots of custom metal work and finding frame mount point) Onto the hitch goes a motorbike tray. I know you all are very good at poking holes in extravagant theories. Any reason this is excessively absurd? So far, I've thought it might be impossible to make a hitch strong enough, and that putting a dirtbike up front might detract from the radiator efficiency or interfere with headlights, or be illegal?

The rationale is that I live in my Promaster full time and don't want to drive it everywhere I need to go.... or anywhere besides the highway... if I had a bike. I also am not interested in any of the current swing or tilt options that restrain rear access because my build is mountain bike garage centric design.

I have a motorbike tray I fit to the rear hitch on mine. Works well. Not sure I want to put an extra 500 pounds on the front end though. That would be straining it! I can carry my old Royal Enfield 500 Bullet on the back bumper.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
306 Posts

I would think it may be easier to load a bike on a rear hitch rack and make your garage accessible from the front side.
Motorcycles on the back get more than enough road debris on them, hanging off the front could only be worse.

·
Premium Member
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I for one would welcome this being possible. I have installed front receiver hitches several times and one could handle a lot of weight. The problem I found was even full size bikes blocked the view forward. A motorcycle might do so even more, especially a taller dirt bike. A simple measurement of the bike and van ought to tell us what is possible.

·
Registered
399 Posts
... don't want to drive it everywhere I need to go....
I've been thinking along similar lines. Except I've been wondering if a small fuel injected bike could be hauled inside the van without gasoline odors. If it's 300 lbs or less I could probably push it up a ramp with little trouble. I like the idea of hauling inside so the bike stays clean.
Started looking at FI scooters but the little 50cc models seem iffy. I'd like to be able to do 55 mph with no trouble. Moving up in scooters gets expensive fast and physically larger. A 125cc mini bike like the Honda Grom or Kawasaki Z125 seems like a better handling and more compact choice than a large scooter. The Honda Super Cub being re-intorduced next would be retro cool, probably ride and handle better than a scooter or mini bike, and I'd look less like a nerd (scooter) or hooligan (mini bike). Too bad it's probably going to sell for list price.

·
Super Moderator
7,711 Posts
There was a guy in an empty Promaster camping beside me last year near Sedona. He had a big (really big) BMW I believe that he just carried around in the Promaster. A big aluminum ramp to man handle it up inside. Nothing in the van but a sleeping bag on a mattress on the floor! He was from the East coast and spending the winter traveling alone. If he could do it anyone can.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had mine set up to carry two bikes inside, Honda CB500X and a Suzuki DR350. Pics are in another thread. Smell wasn't too bad. To load I crank up bike, put in gear and slip clutch it up the ramp as I walk along side and up my little step and into van. A little sketchy but never had a problem.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had mine set up to carry two bikes inside, Honda CB500X and a Suzuki DR350. Pics are in another thread. Smell wasn't too bad. To load I crank up bike, put in gear and slip clutch it up the ramp as I walk along side and up my little step and into van. A little sketchy but never had a problem.
Same here, loading both bikes is easy but unload them a bit tricky and need 2nd person to help with 2nd bike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CUT ......
Started looking at FI scooters but the little 50cc models seem iffy. I'd like to be able to do 55 mph with no trouble. Moving up in scooters gets expensive fast and physically larger. CUT........ I'd look less like a nerd (scooter) or hooligan (mini bike).CUT......
I have two early 2000’s scooters, a Honda Metropolitan and a Vespa LX 150. Neither smell of gas parked in my attached garage. I bought them at different times but recently with less than 500 miles on them for small money. They both have taken rides in the van. I don't give a sheet what I look like on them. The 50cc Honda is good for a bit over 40mph. The Vespa as fast as you dare but does 65 easily. Their storage under the seat is a big plus. I have a rear carrier for motorcycles. I’d love a front carrier for the Metro. It weighs about 170#

1 - 17 of 17 Posts