Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that all Promasters could benefit from a factory installed dual battery system that uses a dedicated cranking battery and a separate aux. battery, along with the charging/isolation elec. componentry required.

Add an inverter for light 110v use in the aux battery circuit.

And a shore power connection with outlets inside the cargo area.

While not a big deal for a cargo hauler, this would be a huge benefit for a tradesman or a recreational user. In fact I'll go as far to say that if Ram doesn't have this available, then they aren't properly addressing the needs of their target market.

I'd buy these options in a heartbeat. If I buy a Pro, I'll end up doing this myself but I'd much rather have Ram design, engineer, install and warranty this stuff, and bundle it up in the purchase price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
sounds like it should have been done along time ago for these types of vehicles. I am surprised no manufacturer have included the dual battery system yet. Good call DennisV. How much would it run at the end?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just speculating here.

The stock and optional alternators are already quite powerful ( 180/220 amp)

The components are readily available as every RV is using this system already.
Add the economy of scale for a huge market like this and the dual battery system should easily come under $500 including a decent battery.

Upgrading to a bigger AGM house battery means more $

Inverters can get pricy depending on wattage requirements.

Shore power connection and interior outlets < $200

But this would all be really well spent money.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You could always add a separate battery yourself. Might even be cheaper. What would you run on the second battery?

·
Registered
363 Posts
You could always add a separate battery yourself. Might even be cheaper. What would you run on the second battery?
Very true, it's what I plan on doing, running a number of deep cycle marine batteries in series for the extra power we need for equipment.

Has anyone started looking into their separate battery options?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am just guessing but for most customers the usual one battery set up is sufficient. I would think if you need to run tools or special accessories from the truck that would be something that is done by an up fitter for custom uses.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd be using such a van as a recreational type camping/fishing rig, so my power needs would be the same as most other RV's. So it's essential that I be able to isolate a house battery power source from my starter battery. I might be out in the middle of nowhere for days at a time. Dual Batteries are an absolute must for me.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If I didn't need an active additional power source while driving I'd just get a on board generator. Way more power and less complicated.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am just guessing but for most customers the usual one battery set up is sufficient. I would think if you need to run tools or special accessories from the truck that would be something that is done by an up fitter for custom uses.
yeah most people will be happy with the ProMaster as it is with just one battery.

for serious power demands running a generator would be a good idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We are in the drawing phase now of installing a second battery and isolator. Having a custom hoist built to lift a 300 lb machine into the side door, and an inverter to run 1/2 hp motors. Once it's done, I'll post pics.
What kind of battery is that under the floor? Is that a deep cycle battery, because I was surprised to see such a huge battery!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
sounds like it should have been done along time ago for these types of vehicles. I am surprised no manufacturer have included the dual battery system yet. Good call DennisV. How much would it run at the end?
Sprinters offer them and Ford used to, still might. Dunno about GM.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Something that would be good - remote battery terminals in a more accessible place like under the hood, for jump starts, recharging, etc. Getting to the battery is not particularly easy for this sort of thing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
There is a negative post under the hood on the drivers
side for jump starts I haven't discover a positive one yet but I haven't looked too hard either!
I spent about 15 minutes looking, then I thought: why not RTFM? :eek:
The negative lug is easy to find near the right hand side of the engine compartment front frame ( facing to the rear - driver side on North American Promasters ) - it has a sticker. The positive lug is under a small unmarked cover door poking up on the left side of a fuse box, still in the right side of the engine compartment, further in. It needs a sticker and/or maybe to be made with red plastic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts