1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
15000 miles with no door hinge issue. I posted on that thread asking him where he's getting his information.

I'm sure we would have heard from someone here if it was a problem.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have 35K on mine and have absolutely no problems with the door hinge. I think he's making stuff up. I haven't even heard of that on any of the foreign forums.

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
Oh my, they are making up things about us over there? Perhaps we should post up some comments here like "they paid too much for their Sprinter and it is unreliable". Oh yea those are not lies, I'll have to try harder.

·
Super Moderator
8,966 Posts
unfortunately the Sprinter site has a large proportion of "know it alls" who are in awe of the silver star and love to get screwed over by their stealerships! I wouldn't put much faith in what they say.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes, this guy sounds VERY educated, considering he refers to the PM as a "Dodge ProMaster." It's only been about five years since the Dodge Trucks brand was renamed to RAM.

I think we'd better all run out and check our hinges, just to be safe.

·
Super Moderator
8,966 Posts
Can anyone post a link to that Sprinter thread, I can't find it?

If you simply look at the subject matter of many of the threads at the Sprinter site you will discover many of them are more concerned with political and social issues rather that Sprinter issues. A few people post good, valuable information on conversions, for example, but most are just interested in telling you about how much money they have to spend or who to vote for or how important they are.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2500 hi top has just over 15000 miles, I use it for service 6 days a week, open the drivers door and drivers side slider 10 to 20 times per day. Hinges appear to be fine, last week I noticed a clicking sound from drivers door when opening or closing, upon inspection found nuts on stop bracket were loose, applied threadlocker and tightened them, problem solved. On a side note, while driving past my dealer I noticed 2 Dodge sprinters and 0 Ram Promasters in front of the service doors waiting for them to open.

·
Super Moderator
8,966 Posts
Thanks, typical of the BS and infighting you find on the Sprinter site!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We own quite a few sprinters. Just received a dz back from rental. All are 2015 models and 1/2 of them have hinge broken. 10-20000 miles. Houston-we have a problem. FCA says your on your own. There should be a recall.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought my 2016 recently. Door post is cracked at the stop, and there is a crack on the door near the latch. 45K. It was a delivery van previously.

Is anyone seeing problems now?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have seen a bad door hinge on the dealers shop van. I noticed early on that the door swings open very wide.

A I put some washers on the pin so it does not open so far, this also means that I can hang onto the door.

B I never let the wind catch the door or throw it open. I gently let it go to its resting place.

So if you are a door slammer, it will fail.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
@BCT
IMO, I say let the Amazon drivers beat the crap out the the vans and maybe FCA will improve the van, that is if anyone with authority is informing FCA of the issues.

Or maybe FCA will notice when fleet owners buy more Fords or MBs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just an average owner here with a 14 PM. Front doors both treated gently all these years and lubed every couple months. Both close with a gentle touch and no issues with them. Back in the 90's I had a drivers door literally fall off a Chrysler LeBaron. First owner was in the habit of slinging it open and stressing the stops until the spot welds on the hinge plates cracked and came off the A pillar. That was a minor nightmare to fix well as it was before I became a welder. Now that I am paranoid about it, I treat all doors gently and keep hinge pins lubed well.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have 3 promasters, all 2014s. Two have zero hinge issues, both have well over 500,000 miles.

The third however has about 350,000 miles and indeed the metal check strap that keeps the door from opening too far has pulled out of the body. I assume the door got pushed on too hard at some point, and swung past the limit. Fixed it with a sheet metal screw and it seems to be holding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts