Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would there be any issue with the driver’s seat being able to swivel if I had a fixed double passenger seat beside it? I have purchased (but not yet taken delivery of) a new van that has the double passenger seat. I would like to be able to spin around and get at the back of the van without walking around to a back door. I know that I’d likely have to lift my legs up to clear the other seat, but I’m wondering if the other seat so close to the driver‘s seat would also impede the seat itself from turning around. Has anyone had success installing a driver’s swivel in this scenario?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,281 Posts
based on this video, I'd say it's doable, but in the comments she mentions going back and forth to get it to turn, pretty sure you can't do it while sitting in it, but understand they are installing a another single later on. You might think it's good to go, but after a month you'll be looking for another single seat.
FYI, the swivel they are using (CTA) has no side to side offset like the Sportscraft swivel has. I couldn't say if the Sportscraft swivel would be easier to swivel or not.

Sadly they don't show it rotating, I imagine it's like a 30 point turn :)

Their van is RHD but everything else is the same concerning the seats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
based on this video, I'd say it's doable, but in the comments she mentions going back and forth to get it to turn, pretty sure you can't do it while sitting in it, but understand they are installing a another single later on. You might think it's good to go, but after a month you'll be looking for another single seat.
FYI, the swivel they are using (CTA) has no side to side offset like the Sportscraft swivel has. I couldn't say if the Sportscraft swivel would be easier to swivel or not.

Sadly they don't show it rotating, I imagine it's like a 30 point turn :)

Their van is RHD but everything else is the same concerning the seats.
Thanks, Phil!

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
3,334 Posts
Hi @Carolyn

Have you thought of replacing the double passenger seat with a single? With that space between it is very easy to get into the back without swivel seats. If you are considering buying you will get the best pricing now on a single seat than later. I do not know the particulars of your purchase or needs, but a buddy of mine purchased a new 2021 with bench & would love a single. It is more expensive & harder to find a single. If you have a double to swap for a single - good luck it is like “selling” the cargo partition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had considered that, but I have two kids who need seating and I’m leery about bolting something aftermarket into the cargo area…

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
3,334 Posts
I had considered that, but I have two kids who need seating and I’m leery about bolting something aftermarket into the cargo area…
That was the bit of info I needed to understand - thanks for that & carry on.

Also in that case; IIRC there is a kit that allows you to swivel the double bench seat.

Caveat; Even “aftermarket” swivels are “aftermarket” & most likely “an issue” insurance wise.

Further; my idea of insurance is “collect the premium & deny the claim”. I know it is not really like that, but we really only know if we are insured if we have an accident, they do not deny the claim, & the cheque does not bounce. Until that happens we only have “the idea” we are insured.

If “we” are “DIY” camper van building, my belief is an insurance claim (especially in bodily harm) would be very interesting in the lawyers were unleashed. We are after all “altering” a motor vehicle (where ever we live).

We all should analyze our own risks in this hobby & I do not want to come across as a pessimist, however I also belief human nature typically people are optimists & I prefer to be a realist. For me, I do the best I can to analyze my risks and make decisions eyes wide open.

Getting into the back from the front seats is ultra important to me - so were factory swivels.

I am not risk adversed, actually the opposite. However I find it best for me to consider the “what ifs”.

Good luck with whatever you decide & on your build !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts