Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone notice the Ram website vehicle build tool no longer shows a driver side slider option? Wonder if this has been delayed or canceled. This is disappointing for me. I was already on the fence over the body shell build quality and price. Now the only way to get a factory driver side window for rear passengers on a smaller van has been eliminated. A full window van would be fine but I don't want a 159" WB high roof.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Anyone notice the Ram website vehicle build tool no longer shows a driver side slider option? Wonder if this has been delayed or canceled. This is disappointing for me. I was already on the fence over the body shell build quality and price. Now the only way to get a factory driver side window for rear passengers on a smaller van has been eliminated. A full window van would be fine but I don't want a 159" WB high roof.
I only looked at one up close, and I've got to say I found NO issues with the body shell being irregular. The seams were all even and smooth and nicely done. The seams were all located such that the van could be built sharing maximum number of parts in all configurations.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You can see a left-side slider in the first few seconds of this video review from The Fast Lane Truck....

so I hope it's not true that they pulled that as an option.

Better yet, they should just make windows optional at any position on the van, and in all body lengths and heights. The way the body is put together is so modular (numerous smaller sheet metal stampings put together to acheive the different lengths and heights) that they should easily be able to do it during production.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Guys I think everybody is getting excited over something that will eventually fix itself.
Being a retired 34 year autoworker, we always started building the simplest versions first, and as time went on and experienced was gained, the more complicated versions came along rather quickly.
My guess is most of the eventual versions with all the options will appear by or early during the 2015 model year. In other words, by late 2014 calendar year

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already waited well over a year for Transit. It's been 10 months since they trotted it out at the Detroit auto show and they still haven't announced pricing. So I got excited about Promaster when it came to market first. Thought maybe Dodge had it together. Now I'm looking at a 2015 just to get factory windows? Something has happened in the domestic auto industry. If shouldn't take years to replicate designs already well sorted out in Europe.
I guess it's time to dump a few thousand in the old Econoline. No sense in doing that unless I drive in another 5 years to recoup the investment. That is the problem with announcing new products too early. People get tired of waiting and move on.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I already waited well over a year for Transit. It's been 10 months since they trotted it out at the Detroit auto show and they still haven't announced pricing. So I got excited about Promaster when it came to market first. Thought maybe Dodge had it together. Now I'm looking at a 2015 just to get factory windows? Something has happened in the domestic auto industry. If shouldn't take years to replicate designs already well sorted out in Europe.
I guess it's time to dump a few thousand in the old Econoline. No sense in doing that unless I drive in another 5 years to recoup the investment. That is the problem with announcing new products too early. People get tired of waiting and move on.
The Transit has been delayed at least until early 2014. They haven't even started building it yet in Kansas City. Supposedly supplier problems and delays on expanding the assembly plant from previous Escape production.
Most people don't have any idea what it takes to get a new vehicle, in a new plant with a new workforce up to speed. This doesn't even take into account the supplier issues which is usually the biggest bind up in production once it finally gets going.
I understand the dilema

1 - 7 of 7 Posts