Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I noticed the second DPF regen event for the van, at just under 400 miles on the odometer. First event was right at 200 miles. I guess I need to carry a load and do more highway cruising to keep the DPF clear without a regen cycle.

Noticed it again by the sound of the cooling fans. Then I noticed the big drop in instant mpg; where I should have been seeing 35-45mpg (50mph, slight downhill), I was only seeing 20mpg.

Once again it kicked off during a short drive, so I had to shut it down while still doing the regen. Fired it up a couple hours later and it started into the regen within a couple minutes.

This time however, I noticed the 'DPF regen' lamp on the lower right of the tach. Had not noticed that before, and just earlier I was looking for a message on the EVIC display and seeing nothing.

Instead of heading straight home (5 minute drive), I took a detour and cruised at 50mph in 5th (2k rpm) for about 10 minutes. Towards the end of that the DPF regen light turned off.

Main takeaways this time are to watch for the DPF regen light to know what's going on, and that it takes quite a bit of extra fuel to fire off the regen cycle.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,508 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to revisit this myself.

Recently I noticed it doing the regen. I had just finished 700 miles of highway driving and made it home. Parked it for the night. A couple minutes after starting it the next day, bam... active regen.

I've also had several instances where I'm on cruise on the highway, flat road, steady to no wind, and I notice the instant mpg drop significantly. Instead of the usual 25-ish, it drops to 19-20ish. Does this for 10-15 minutes, then back to where it should be. If I pull over I can hear the fans going well before I come to a stop.

I'm a bit concerned, and confused, on why it should be doing so many active regens with the highway miles. My understanding of a DPF system is that at consistent higher RPMs of highway cruising was supposed to provide a high enough exhaust gas temperature to do a 'passive' regen and burn off the DPF. (highway speeds for me are 65mph nearly all the time, right at 2k rpm)

·
Premium Member
8,859 Posts
I have yet to read that there is an expected milage for the regens. Honestly when you are driving about 60-65 there is no way to tell one is happening except for the instantaneous mileage meter, perhaps. I prefer to have another gauge on my EVIC. I do sometimes toggle through and see my average mpg has dropped below what I expect and perhaps that is due to the regens. too. I wish there were a telltale for regenerations. In 7,800 miles I have only caught mine 5or 6 times but more could easily have happened. When slowing is easy to tell with the loud fan noise.

·
Registered
467 Posts
If you monitor the exhaust gas temps with an OBD dongle and a smart phone app you can see when it's happening.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Geek mode with obd tools

Regen is going to happen nothing you can do to stop it driving around the e-way may prolong the start, but is a waste of time, fuel and wear and tear on your other parts. Now if you do stop an go city driving (25mph) you may need to take out to the country now and then, just for your peace of mind.
For those that don't have the cheap obd scan tools such as $5 obd fuison (works on blue or wifi) from google play with a $10 Tracfone from tracfone and a $10 bluetooth obd or wifi obd dongle (some are better than others) from your favorite seller. Watch your coolant temp should be about 4 degrees cooler on avg. your volts will be lower and your should have a higher fuel rate. Of course without a scan tool it will be hard. I up-sized to a 7" $34 tablet hung on my rear view mirror. I have three different screens that I can pull up one gauge or ten. Can't leave it there thought as the sun bakes the battery. The trac-fone was shaded by the mirror but too small for multiple gauges.
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17161&stc=1&d=1448037039
If you do get obd fusion enter this custom pid this will show dpf cap regen starts at about 75%.
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15681&d=1443976072

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
OBD Fusion updated since this thread

OBD fusion has a working ISO9141-2 (Asian, European, Chrysler vehicles) standard now, they had a bumpy road with this. VW could have forced the car company's to open more code to comply with the GOV'S. I haven't played with my scanner much and updating on a cheap device that has no extra memory is a pain, but it is now up to date and Fusion is back to it's old glory.
NOx reagent (def) tank level ,wish I knew this before my p208b code. Normalized trigger for DPF regen (this is the same as my custom pid )
There is a lot of DPF related pid's now. I'll have to check every pid and save to log and see which ones work or are of value to me.

·
Premium Member
8,859 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
The tank level on my 45mph 9mile test log jumped all around 40% to 60% and started at 52% and ended at 51%. This corresponded to the hills and valleys in map mode so it is very sensitive or bad. There are more def related pid's that I logged but not all worked.
Thanks, I found the one for DEF Tank level (NOx reagent) and DPF Regen both of which I wanted. I have yet to drive the van so I’ll post up when I do. I can’t believe the number of PID’s on that list! BTW I bought an ODB2Dongle with an off/on switch so I don’t drain the battery and don’t have to remove it, $8 from China of course.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142162970340?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts