Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Promaster 159” High-top and it has a tendency to DOWNSHIFT all by its self. I can be driving down the road at 55-60 MPH and all of a sudden it will downshift to 3rd or 4th gear and RPM goes up to 4000-5000 RPM. Have told dealership and they can NOT find the problem. Told me they have documented it and at least I have drive train warranty...if needs fixed. Van currently has 17,500 miles on it. Problem has been going on prior to even having my first oil change. WHAT TO DO NEXT!? If this happens on icy road, I am sure loss of control would occur and possible CRASH!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
At what speeds? I've noticed my PM has a huge amount drag so if I'm going over ~70mph, it usually has to drop into a lower gear repeatedly to maintain speed with even the slightest uphill or headwind.

UPDATE: Woops, I realized you answered this. The only thing I can think of is that one of your brakes might have locked in place? Do you use your hand brake a lot for parking? Might got stuck last year so I had to stop using it.

If you're on a very slight incline, does the vehicle roll when in neutral?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does not matter what speed. Hand brake only used when launching kayak from trailer. Would be ok, except downshifts from 6th to 3rd or 4th at highway speeds!
Rolls in neutral with no problem.

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
I am not sure yours is normal but the few times I have ridden in one of the gassers I was dumbfounded at the number of shifts. This is an area where the diesel was so much better as it has the torque to pull a considerable grade and the downhill is easily managed by the manual shift. Most PM drives seem to ignore or consider normal the 4000-5000 rpm up and downshifts. It is the future for all vehicles it seems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2018 Promaster 159” High-top and it has a tendency to DOWNSHIFT all by its self. I can be driving down the road at 55-60 MPH and all of a sudden it will downshift to 3rd or 4th gear and RPM goes up to 4000-5000 RPM. Have told dealership and they can NOT find the problem. Told me they have documented it and at least I have drive train warranty...if needs fixed. Van currently has 17,500 miles on it. Problem has been going on prior to even having my first oil change. WHAT TO DO NEXT!? If this happens on icy road, I am sure loss of control would occur and possible CRASH!!
Mine is brand new and was doing this going down hills without tow/haul. Shifts from 6th to 4th - 4500 rpm. You're right about the ice.
Someone said to use the accelerator to tell the van you can to faster - It didn't upshift - RPM's went up.
Having owned 2 Caravans, this never happened
Jon

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2018 3500 153 ambulance that did this the other day while going down hill. I wasn't driving and just thought the driver had the cruse control on but he didn't. I didn't notice if the tow button had been engaged or not. A the bottom of the hill the van accelerated again like normal. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
AJOKEY
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing