Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning to all who travel in NY State, the Thruway "Authority" sees fit to double the tolls on vans with high roofs, found that out the hard way yesterday. Double charge just because my roof is a foot higher than my friend's Chevy Express? - that's crazy.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I was pulling a trailer (single axle) they charged me 50% more. Now that I'm only one vehicle, but with a roof that's about a foot taller than a conventional van (length doesn't matter!), they charge me 100% (double) more! But if I'm a motorhome (with a NY state motorhome registration) they actually charge less than a passenger car! Figure that one out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Keith, you are just full of good information! Nice researching!
I used to live in NYC but moved to the Phoenix about 12 years ago. No tolls here. (Yet)

·
Super Moderator
723 Posts
One thing for sure, driving west bound is cheaper than driving south bound: when I drive from Montreal to Hood River (Oregon), it cost me $0.60 in tolls (one toll, actually).

Driving from Montreal to Outer Banks (North Carolina) cost me close to $40.00 in tolls.

·
Super Moderator
723 Posts
Hey Guy - what routes did you take from the U.S. border to the Outer Banks?
Boy, it was a complicated one, my wife was the GPS device and she is gone.Will ask her to send me the route by e-mail. All I remember is that we took the 87 for a long while and took the Chesapeake bridge ($12).

How about asking me the route from Montreal to The Gorge? It is much easier (and cheaper, $0.60 toll) ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No worries Guy, don't waste your time, I was just curious. The northeast US has the worst and most tolls I have found, esp. NY and OH. There was a time when tolls were supposed to abolished on the NYS Thruway - ha, they actually went up and keep going up! And the roads suck, I know I hit a few doozy potholes on what was the last Thruway drive for me (boycott!)

Hope you're having a great time in NC!

·
Super Moderator
723 Posts
No worries Guy, don't waste your time, I was just curious.
I am not loosing my time, I am proving my point, it was complicated :|

Here's what my living gps recorded, Sure talks a lot, that device :laugh:
I-87 S
I-287 S
17 S
Garden State Parkway
New Jersey Turnpike S
US-40 W
US-13 S
DE-1 S
US-13 S
I-64 E (big argument on this one with my wife)
VA-168 S
US-158 E
N Carolina 12 S

We paid at 8 tolls for a total of 44,60$.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not loosing my time, I am proving my point, it was complicated :|

Here's what my living gps recorded, Sure talks a lot, that device :laugh:
I-87 S
I-287 S
17 S
Garden State Parkway
New Jersey Turnpike S
US-40 W
US-13 S
DE-1 S
US-13 S
I-64 E (big argument on this one with my wife)
VA-168 S
US-158 E
N Carolina 12 S

We paid at 8 tolls for a total of 44,60$.

Wow, really not bad, toll wise. Convoluted route, but probably the easiest.

NYS Thruway will charge me more than your total tolls to go from one end of NYS to the other (Buffalo to NYC) due to the double charge of my roof being one foot taller than conventional vans. Unbelievable. I am boycotting, won't set foot (tire) on the Thruway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts