Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came across a great looking deal on a PM that fits all my specs... or so I thought. Upon closer inspection, it's got a driver's side slider as well! I'm planning on converting it into a camper and my gut reaction is that the second slider is kind of a deal breaker. I've been assuming all along that I'd tie the kitchenette into the wall just behind the driver seat and, obviously, that becomes impossible w/ the door there.

But then I thought, couldn't I just tie into the floor? It would be pretty cool to be able to open that door while cooking...

My gut still tells me no, especially when I think about insulation, but I'm curious.

Thoughts? Has anyone here converted a PM w/ two sliding doors?

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
I have not converted one with dual sliders, but I will tell you that I camped for two weeks in a Ford Transit Connect with two sliders and it was nice to be able to open both doors. You can access storage from the outside if you build it correctly. Plus on a nice day, have an incredible cross breeze ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
My converted Toyota Sienna has dual sliders, and I can't imagine life without it. Having access to the rear of a kitchen unit will come in handy just to get into wiring and plumbing. It also makes it easy to fill or empty water containers.....if you use that system.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
If you cut away the floor under the cabinet on that side and use the van’s tie down to bolt it down or strap reinforce to the tie down with a metal strap inside you will be fine. The floor keeps the cabinet from moving forward and the strap at the back keeps it from rolling forward.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
A sliding door behind driver also opens up the possibility of having a mini-slide in a Class B for greater room. I'm not generally a fan of slides in RVs but have seen some in vans I kind of liked.

I want forward facing seating behind driver, but if my plans were to put small kitchen there, I'd certainly consider it. It'd be cool to open the door, and then manually push a compact slide out. In bad weather or at night, you could leave it retracted with door closed.

By the way, my Honda Odyssey (passenger van, not camper) has two powered sliding doors and it's really nice to get in and out the driver side occassionally. Other than possible loss of upper storage cabinets, at very least I like your idea of mounting kitchen lower cabinet to floor and being able to open door in background.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ordered mine with double sliders and can't imagine life with out it.You don't need air with it and you don't need it as a door all he time.I have my seating for table and it works great!

·
Registered
9 Posts
We use our PMC for camping and transporting bikes and musical gear. I can't imagine having to deal with one sliding door again. It's just so freaking handy!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just came across a great looking deal on a PM that fits all my specs... or so I thought. Upon closer inspection, it's got a driver's side slider as well! I'm planning on converting it into a camper and my gut reaction is that the second slider is kind of a deal breaker. I've been assuming all along that I'd tie the kitchenette into the wall just behind the driver seat and, obviously, that becomes impossible w/ the door there.

But then I thought, couldn't I just tie into the floor? It would be pretty cool to be able to open that door while cooking...

My gut still tells me no, especially when I think about insulation, but I'm curious.

Thoughts? Has anyone here converted a PM w/ two sliding doors?
I was worried about the same thing when I was looking for a used PM. I ended getting one with two sliders and it hasn't been a concern at all. You can still mount over head cabinets and the having access to the driver side during the build has been very helpful. I don't use the door much but as mentioned by others it helps with cross breeze when needed. Bottom line, just get it if the van has everything else you need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts