Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
u know that wasted space on the bottom of the door? i think it would be a great place for some fiberglass subwoofer enclosures...i think this will be my next project...

·
Registered
258 Posts
You're right bulldog, thought of it as well.. I've only been running aftermarket speakers and I have a small annoying rattle in the drivers door.. I've taken that door apart at least five times, wrapped it in many places with sound deadner and it's still there.. I gave up putting any more sound in it.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

·
Registered
810 Posts
My stock dpeaker has an annoying buzz rattle in the drivers side too at high bass at volume.
my sub enclosure is going to go up on the cornor ceiling where the wall meets.2 eights. 1 on each side facing down on a 45.
good luck with your project

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Will the mirrors vibrate and trim door panels rattle if you put subs in there?

The base is what is rattling in the stock speakers. One low 8" or 10" in the center?
Then you can reduce the base off of the stock speakers and the subs do the hard work.
Low frequency is mostly non directional as can be placed anywhere.The tweeters and mids
are in a very good position.Placement of these are important.
If you go this route then there will be no rattles in the doors. This is what I am doing.
Had this setup in my old van,but have not time to do this yet in the pm.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
bulldogneon I forgot that you have doggy!!! Can't put sub in center.:eek:
Disregard my last post oooops.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Center of the door?or the PM?
Center of PM. In a proper sized box that is designed for the woofer itself. Amp on the back.
This will not work if you have no partition. As you will have to jump over.
bulldogneon will work for his application. But the panels may rattle.They rattle with the
stock speakers, so they need to be worked on some how.Hushmat?
The sound will be very clear when you reduce the base on the stock speakers and
have the sub going.

·
Registered
258 Posts
so should i make molds?
A mold/enclosure would be great.. I don't think a 10" would fit physically but a good quality 8" with lots of power would sound great. I'm sure that you can mount it somehow with some rubber mounts to mitigate door vibrations as well.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i meant, should i make molds vs one offs...if anyone wants to buy some, molds are necessary
It's a possibility for sure.. seems like you have more time then me. I was thinking of something for the speaker locations as well. As deep as possible... Would be great to seal off the smaller speakers for better mid-bass volume. The system is going to be a great 3-way system.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
As an alternate, I would think that under the passenger seat would be a good location. The tool kit could easily go elsewhere and the location of a subwoofer really doesn't need to be centered.

A box sized to fit a speaker and its amp would fit and there's a 50A power supply nearby! (Upfit connector, anyone?)

No worries about door rattles... and the passenger would probably get a more stimulating ride!:D .... downfacing might be better.

Just another thought...

Ed

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
true, but in my case the seat base is shortened so i cant do that...plus i'm dying to make use of that wasted space at the bottom of the door!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Bdn,

When I first got my PM, I decided right away to remove the door buckets.

When I got out of the van in a parking lot, the buckets actually made it harder to get out in a tight parking spot. I felt they stuck out too far, requiring me to squeeze out. So, thet're gone. Just a few rivnuts left in the door.

Ed

·
Registered
174 Posts
Has anyone tried a different location for a sub? I was thinking of putting one 10" in the rear door along with some 6-3/4 components in the upper part of the doors. I also made some wheel well covers from 1x3 and plywood, so I may put one there. Also, thought about the passenger seat, but I dont think you could build a box with the proper amount of volume for the sub?

Anyone have any input on this?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
My brother inlaw put two in for me. I'm not close to my Promaster right now. I'll post info this weekend.

·
Registered
52 Posts
JL audio sound upgrade

http://www.jlaudio.com/10tw3-d4-car-audio-tw3-subwoofer-drivers-92184

http://www.jlaudio.com/xd500-3v2-car-audio-xdv2-amplifiers-98603

I built a box under drivers seat, 3/4 plywood internal volume .5 cubic ft. the tw3 10" woofer works great

the xdV2 3 channel amp can use the speaker outputs from the deck and doesn't need a turn on wire. I added a pair of 6.5 woofers, kept the original tweeters and am very happy with the sound. Even crossed over at 65HZ the front door speakers will rattle the doors but only at a certain resonant frequency, so most of the time it's great but a high bass note once in a while will cause the doors to vibrate a bit. I have been adding sound deadening in the doors and have chased the resonant frequency around but have not eliminated it at that certain frequency.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts