Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone remove/replace door speakers? What's the trick to getting at them?

-- bradley

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Looks like he's asking about the PM City. Wish there was a way to differentiate on the forum easily!

n4ocb,

Welcome to the forum!

The speaker responses above are for the PM, not sure if the PMC is the same....(not much else is). The picture on the Mopar parts site look the same, but the part numbers aren't.

Lots more room for your music stuff in a full PM, but it certainly won't fit in your garage!
There should be plenty of room for your ham radio in the PMC though.

Enjoy your PMC! 73's

Ed W1EFM

·
Registered
810 Posts
Opppps. Sorry, my bad... i didnt fully read the topic header.. i was speaking for the big promaster and NOT the city..
I believe the link i referenced was for the big van..
sorry about that

·
Registered
211 Posts
Looks like he's asking about the PM City. Wish there was a way to differentiate on the forum easily!

n4ocb,

Welcome to the forum!

The speaker responses above are for the PM, not sure if the PMC is the same....(not much else is). The picture on the Mopar parts site look the same, but the part numbers aren't.

Lots more room for your music stuff in a full PM, but it certainly won't fit in your garage!

Enjoy your PMC! 73's

Ed W1EFM
That's what I thought,lol.
N7LOH

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Enjoy your PMC! 73's

Ed W1EFM
With the rear seats flipped up (wagon) it fit all the gear tonight with no issues. Also, as it turns out it fits in the garage fine. I was afraid I was going to have to make some needed (though unpleasant) changes out there. I do need a shorter antenna though. I looked at some stubbies, etc. Nah. I'm going to just clip the stock antenna maybe six inches and RTV the little cap thing back onto the top. AFAIK the spiral wrap is for air flow vibration properties - no electrical connection.

The door speaks have to go though. I wonder if an underseat sub will fit under the driver's seat?

-- Bradley N4OCB

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had a shallow-mount 8" sub under the driver's seat in my old truck. I had to make a custom box for it, but it wasn't too hard. The good news is, there's a HUGE space under the seats in the PMC. You should have no problem putting a small sub under there.

It's just a shame the stereo itself is pretty much impossible to replace.

·
Registered
211 Posts
With the rear seats flipped up (wagon) it fit all the gear tonight with no issues. Also, as it turns out it fits in the garage fine. I was afraid I was going to have to make some needed (though unpleasant) changes out there. I do need a shorter antenna though. I looked at some stubbies, etc. Nah. I'm going to just clip the stock antenna maybe six inches and RTV the little cap thing back onto the top. AFAIK the spiral wrap is for air flow vibration properties - no electrical connection.

The door speaks have to go though. I wonder if an underseat sub will fit under the driver's seat?

-- Bradley N4OCB
That wire is wrapped so it electrically increases the 'length' of the antenna.It has nothing whatsoever to do with aerodynamics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That wire is wrapped so it electrically increases the 'length' of the antenna.It has nothing whatsoever to do with aerodynamics.
The antenna itself is a fine wire wrapped around a fiberglass rod. The spiral on the outside is non-conductive. Some googling brought up something about a Karman vortex street. If you can believe wiki...

·
Registered
211 Posts
That makes sense to me.Give it a try and see what happens.We have a carport so the antenna height presents no problemo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That makes sense to me.Give it a try and see what happens.We have a carport so the antenna height presents no problemo.
I chopped it in half with a pair of dikes. Then dipped the raw end in liquid electrical tape. Two coats - done. Okay, maybe I need another coat.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I'll get with the program here soon, seems this topic is covered elsewhere based on the replies. I just bought a Promaster City a few weeks ago and was wondering about the front door speakers and I noticed some ham calls on my search. I'm KR3OC and we can talk more later as I have to get to another job and after that it is the weekend for me! 73's guys and all the best to the non-hams.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just took my antenna off, works fine. I can't fit into my underground parking with the stupid thing on.
Stereo is garbage in these vans, quite possibly the worse I've heard in a modern vehicle. Pretty sure its the head unit's crossover cutting a ton of bass. Tried a Uconnect 4.0 in a Renegade and it was completely different sounding. I do believe you have to remove the whole door panel to access the front speakers though. Pretty sure they are 5 1/4" or 6".
http://www.fiatforum.com/doblo/323171-2012-doblo-cargo-door-speakers.html
FYI, passenger seat has a flat floor under it, drivers has weird bumps and a large divot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...Stereo is garbage in these vans, quite possibly the worse I've heard in a modern vehicle. Pretty sure its the head unit's crossover cutting a ton of bass. ...
If I can get to the speaker wires under the dash I might be able to test that.
I do believe you have to remove the whole door panel to access the front speakers though. Pretty sure they are 5 1/4" or 6".
http://www.fiatforum.com/doblo/323171-2012-doblo-cargo-door-speakers.html
Wow. According to the referenced thread (thanks for that), it is complete inner panel removal including drilling of rivets to remove the speaker. It is also interesting that he used 8" speakers. The lumps under the driver's seat may preclude an underseat sub. On the passenger side is where the inflate kit is. That could be relocated into the cargo area I suppose, or a real spare could be added.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just put my pump on the drivers side, it doesn't fit perfect but its fits. Having the cargo version is good for this as there is no way for it to slide back, with the pass model you'll need some velcro and it will never move.
You'll need ford removal keys to remove the head unit or you can get creative with 4 pieces of coat hanger. Its pretty simple removal, just don't get crazy and bend the tabs out too far or it wont sit flush when you put it back in.
I somehow doubt 8" speakers will fit in the doors, if you need a guinea pig I'll gladly tackle the door panels and show everyone whats inside, its sort of my job to rip cars apart and put them back together again without extra screws. Its one of the few things I haven't taken a look at.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts