Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The front doors on my van shake and rattle when closing and the latch first engages. Once closed though they are fine, no rattle or anything. Probably/hopefully some strike adjustment needed but I haven't had a chance to look at yet. Anyone have a similar experience, and any tips? (i.e. does the door need to be pulled tighter to the weatherstripping or farther away?) Seems to be a common issue as I found the same issue with 3 vans in the dealers lot.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I’d say they don’t need adjustment. If they are closed. sealed and don’t shake when fully closed you are adjusted. I’d bet those other vans were fine too. Partially latched is not going to be solid or quiet and you don’t want your door in that position. Open it and pull it closed firmly to full latch, go drive!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've noticed the same thing with my 2019. They rumble/bounce a bit when closing them. They're solid when driving.

·
Read Only
309 Posts
I opened my passenger side door to see what was up as my 2019 sounds like theres something loose inside that rattles as the door closes. It almost sounds as if it isn't latched which makes my wife think she needs to slam it shut. I couldn't find anything inside causing the sound. Door latches properly otherwise with no noise during driving. Dealer couldn't figure it out either. Like I said, it's only the passenger side on my van.

·
Registered
2016 136 low, w/u-haul package
173 Posts
both my 17 and my 16 exhibited this. It's "solid" in a cheesy Fiat sort of way.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
As we used to say in the building trades when things were not quite perfect- “It’s no Piano” or we might say “Its a utility van."

·
Read Only
309 Posts
I agree RD, but when you are paying over 30k, it should be a little better than that. Then again, like you said, these are utility vans and not really intended for the discerning consumer :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree RD, but when you are paying over 30k, it should be a little better than that.
I agree it should be better. It sounds cheap. Both my doors sound like Charlie Brown falling to the ground after Lucy pulled the football he was about to kick. I wish it had a nice solid >ka-Chunk<... like most every other car door on the planet.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Firstly many cars sound cheap and tinny too. My 2008 Rav4 is a case in point. The new version of that car outfitted like mine is probably better but also probably more expensive than my van. Want a Mercedes van but want to pay for a Fiat? Making a van cheaper to sell seems to require making it feel cheaper too.
When I went to the dealer to see my van being serviced in preparation of delivery to me. I was curious as to how much I was spending compared to other vehicles so I walked down the line of Ram pickups. The Monroneys I was looking for were trucks at about $34,000 what I paid for my diesel van. There were NONE. In fact diesel pickups were $16,000 more, some a lot more! In this way I determined this is an inexpensive utility vehicle. I insulated it with polyisocyanurate sheets even in the body’s doors making it both warm when heated in the cold and cool when warm AND quiet and satisfyingly solid.
I really like my van, find it to be trouble free and except for small issues find it sufficient quality.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
it's just the thin sheet metal skin of the door wobbling like an old hand saw blade when you slam the door.
Put a slab of noico or similar sound deadening mat on the inside of the outer skin.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
873 Posts
it's just the thin sheet metal skin of the door wobbling like an old hand saw blade when you slam the door.
Put a slab of noico or similar sound deadening mat on the inside of the outer skin.
My sheet metal doesn't wobble. I've watched it closely and on mine anyway, it's the door latch that vibrates against the tubular steel bar it strikes on the door frame that makes the rattling sound. The door is actually pretty solid but the rubber gasket around the door compresses enough on closing to allow this rattling sound when you slam it. My solution is simple - don't slam it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have to agree with RD.
I take the attitude that it is good enough. Mine is still driving like it did when new 5 years ago. I do a lot of preventive maintenance and even lube all the hinges and latches every month or so. My roller side door operates fine. Hatch doors are fine. I really can't complain (Except for the cup holders ;-) )

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
873 Posts
@ KOV - The van is a 2019, so it and the gasket are still like new.

@ MsNomer - My door skin appears to vibrate too but on closer examination it's the whole door, not just the outer skin. If I push on the skin it doesn't flex much at all. The clincher for me is that standing outside watching, the rattle is distinctly coming from the latch area.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
873 Posts
It only rattles on the passenger side too so if/when it stops raining I'll look to see if there's a way to snug the door up to the frame a little, without throwing off the alignment. That should stop it.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
873 Posts
OK, rain stopped for a bit so went out and looked. The door was very slightly farther out than the body (holding a ruler across the gap) so loosened the bracket on the door jamb and was able to move it a 'fraction' inward. Not only does the door line up better but the rattle is gone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts