Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like everyone else, I hate how the locks work.

I've been trying to figure out how to 'trick' my van into thinking the back doors are closed. I'm a contractor and sometimes stop places with lumber/etc hanging out the back of the van. Even though the back doors are open, I always lock the other doors in my old chevy van just to make stealing stuff a little harder.

I can trick the back door into thinking it is closed by using my finger to rotate the catch in the edge of the door. But like everyone else, I would love to be able to hit the "all lock" button, while hopping out.

I'm not real good when it comes to car electronics, but hoping someone can chime in and help.

I'm assuming when I rotate the door catch in the back door, it grounds itself out, or completes a circuit with another wire. I've cut the wires hoping something would work, I've grounded the wires, but still nothing.

There are 4 wires.
Red with black stripe
orange with green stripe
black with violet stripe
white with blue stripe.

Anyone have any idea which wire does what?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

·
Registered
13 Posts
i've only dealt with front door locks, as they have the safety feature so you can't lock your keys or kids in...but never the rear. i am now able to lock my van even when it is running. we disabled the locking mechanism in the passenger door. you can open it from the inside but not from the outside. than i central lock it with the console button and manually lock my door. don't know if that helps any...

·
Super Moderator
10,478 Posts
On a realated subject - I have a switch to turn on my rear view camera with the rear doors closed. If I forget to shut it off it's impossible to lock the doors until I do.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,650 Posts
I have been thinking about the way the locks in this van work for a long time now!

Here's what I've figured out:

- the white/blue stripe wire, when grounded, will tell the computer that the rear door is ajar (note: not "a jar" - everyone knows it's "a door!"):D

So when KOV wanted a way to turn on the rear view camera while driving, he ran a switch that grounds the white/blue wire so that the computer thinks the rear door is ajar (open):D and turns on the rearview camera. Not sure why they do that, but that's the design. An indicator light on the dash indicates the door is ajar (you get the drift...):D and on mine, a little bell rings every time I accelerate from a stop. Not a big deal. (Wish I could remember which forum member discovered this mod.. thanks to whoever you are!) So, in KOV's situation, the computer thinks the rear door is open and won't lock the van!

I have been given a little brain time to the idea of a small arduino module to get my van to act like every other Mopar I own. In those cars, when you get out and the driver's door is open, you can press on the lock button on the door and the locks activate so the door is locked when you close it.... easy! Will provide info if I can figure it out.

Meanwhile, I think this would work. The white/blue wire (in the back corner passenger side column) is the "key". When you ground it, it tells the computer the back door is open. To ground it, you splice in a wire that connects to a switch that then connects to ground. So, if you were to cut the white/blue wire between the splice you made and the door lock sensor, your switch would still work, but the lock sensor couldn't ground, so the computer wouldn't get the message that the rear door is open. That means you could lock the van using the center console button, then leave out the back door and lock it.

Of course, cutting the rear door sensor so it doesn't work means that it won't warn you that the rear door is ajar!:DIf you put a switch at the back of the van that reconnects the door lock sensor when you don't need to get out the back undetected, you could leave the connection on and just click the rear switch off to "exit while locked"

I have not tested this theory, but it seems pretty simple to me. That said, I must also say that I am not advocating that you do any of this, and that if you tamper with all of this, you do so at your own risk!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Instead of messing with the wires, when you get to a stop you could offload anything sticking out of the doors and lock the van. Then you could use the metal key to open the back door and put the stuff back in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Locking with key fob

I discovered a couple days ago that the key fob lock doesn't work. I changed battery and checked fuse F38 (central locking) on dash panel. All good but key fob lock still doesn't work. I have only had this '15 136 low 1500 for a couple weeks. Thanks in advance. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
10,478 Posts
Does the fob do anything? Sometimes the contacts on the sliding door (left side) need to be cleaned or the system won't let you lock the van.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,650 Posts
Does the central locking button on the dash work?

If it does, then its specific to the fob
If it doesn't then you may have a problem with the door ajar sensor wire at one of the doors.

My rear door harness was replaced on Monday. The door would not lock because the wire that told the computer that the rear door was ajar was shorted to the ground wire so the van wouldn't lock. Of course it developed a short right after the dealer tried to fix the door ajar wire and messed up the harness even worse!

The passenger rear door wire that extends through 270 degrees of open and closing the door will be an issue for many owners. Mine squeaked in and broke right at the end of my 3 year warranty, so I have a new harness to start wearing out now!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also am trying to figure out the back door locks. I made a bracket to allow the back door to latch slightly ajar.
I had hoped the doors would lock if both door catches were closed but this isn't the case. Where is the sensor that lets the vehicle know the door is open? I don't see where it engages anything.

·
Registered
83 Posts
On the back door the gray cam lever needs to be pushed in two clicks. This works on a 2014.

Thanks that is the issue. My latch on the bracket trips it but wont push it back far enough to activate the lock function. A little metal modifications I should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Didn’t want to have to cut any wires the modification to the bracket works it holds the back door ajar and locks. Probably wont use it much but needed another van project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2014 Promaster 2500 and the rear Door won’t lock with a Fob anymore, the front doors and side door locks/unlocks fine. I’m confident it has something to do with the rear harness being cracked, seems like a poor design. Dealer says these are on back order and they have no idea when they will be available. Has anybody else had this issue? I’m good with electronics so if anybody has any ideas on what could be wrong and how to repair I’m open to ideas. At this time I can only lock/unlock the back door with a key and it’s a real hassle.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,478 Posts
A few people have simply spliced new wires in. You are probably correct about a broken wire! Go for it ;)

·
Registered
2019 2500 tall long wheelbase van
83 Posts
Not quite the same issue here. I'd like ALL the doors to unlock when the front doors unlock. AS is, you have to remember to unlock the back and side doors VIA the dash switch or the key remote. Being a handyman, having to unlock the doors twice, so to speak, is a real pain when I just need to grab a tape measure or flashlight.

Anyone fix that problem?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts