Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to find a seal that goes in the tank of our Dometic Portable Toilet.

Sometimes things I think should be very simple become a research nightmare (this is one of those times).

Do any of you have this toilet and have you replaced the tank seal?

Here is the info on this model;

The "blue" mark is the location of the seal;

These are the product codes;

This is what it looks like;

This is the manual;
TIA !!

Attachments

·
Administrator
‘20 159 HT window van NH Seacoast
11,779 Posts
Holy sheet! $560C! You will probably have to get it from the "old world" perhaps GB?

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Holy sheet! $560C! You will probably have to get it from the "old world" perhaps GB?
That is funny,,,

I think that is just the new and improved "Covid" pricing. I have one of these in my van & one in my cabin. I paid $125 Canadian for the smaller tank 2.5Gal tank & around $145 for the 5.0Gal tank. So what is up with the 2020 pricing of these??

I think here are a few things (like portable toilets) that the economic law of "Supply & Demand" has been proven due to Covid and the world going insane (toilet paper might be another).

KOV we live (especially these days) in a world that for somethings I can only describe as ridiculous.

I am being told the Dometic factories are shut down or skeleton crews or some story similar inline with those.

Another USA forum member purchased a Propex from the Canadian supplier I bought from because it was available (but not in the States).

There may be certain replacement parts that if we can get our hands on for a reasonable price - we might want to investigate a source & if cheap enough get a small supply. Another reason I attempt to stay "mainstream" with equipment when building a van (I try to stay away from proprietary equipment and go more components if possible).

Now I am looking for a seal for a toilet; but I may be (like the toilet paper shortage) sheet outta luck 😳.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
4,045 Posts
After 5 years I had to replace the seal (same one) on my Thetford Curve. They were "on backorder" for a few weeks and 1 or 2 places that had them wanted bug prices. I found a normally priced place that had them "on order" and they showed up a few weeks later. I think this Amazon Prime stuff has us all spoiled!

I looked up your model and diagram and it looks to me like that seal is included in the holding tank assembly. Looked a few places and could not find it as a separate part.

On my Thetford the round rubber seal is a separate part. The trap door slides across this seal to open the bottom tank to the bowl. aka a "flush"

link to really good list of parts: (but no seal!) 2019 Dometic/ Sealand Vacuflush Parts Guide

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
4,045 Posts
Yep, it's the piece I thought it was... but no diagram shows it as a part! I think I would try to call a big Dometic dealer... maybe they can explain why it's not listed. Seems like they want you to buy a new "bottom tank"

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
4,045 Posts
Their diagrams a re terrible. On mine, when you flush, you move a handle on the side, and it opens the flap (which is part of the BOTTOM tank.) On yours, it look like you push the button on the front and something opens on the TOP tank.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
4,045 Posts

·
Registered
2019 3500 extended, white. Stella.
134 Posts
I saw this one on Amazon Canada, slightly different size
Features & details
  • Closet flange for Thetford toilets
  • Replaces 02125
  • Current part number 33239

Product information Quantity 1

ManufacturerThetford
BrandThetford
ModelRV Toilet Seal
Product Dimensions20.83 x 17.78 x 1.91 cm; 45.36 Grams
Item model number33239
Is Discontinued By ManufacturerNo
Manufacturer Part Number33239
FoldingNo
Cover Included1 - Closet Flange Seal
Item Weight45.4 g

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@proeddie & @MB01 thank you both for your input. It might be possible that a Thetford seal will fit a Dometic toilet. I will attempt to find out if Dometic sells the correct seal for their tanks & will report back here if I get an answer.

If anyone else has previously experienced replacing this seal on this Dometic toilet & can help shed some light on this issue I’m all eyes.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
For What It Is Worth;

I made a mistake buying Dometic porta-potties

I would stay away from them for two reasons;

1 - If the tank seals fail, you can not replace them & you have to buy a new tank that retails for almost as much money as I paid for the entire toilet. I find this style of Corporate Operation extremely distasteful & destroys any trust I have in buying products from companies that operate like this. Fool me once shame on You !

2 - I contacted Dometic directly & they pawned me off to a local(ish) wholesale distributor, who after a couple of emails informed me that the entire tank needs to be replaced if the seal was failing as the seal is not a part Dometic sells separately. Then they told me the cost of replacing the tanks (not worth it) & said I would have to find a local retailer. Pawned off agian.

I am the type of person that votes (always), & I also vote with my dollars daily. This is the first Dometic product I have ever purchased & I highly doubt I will ever buy another Dometic product.

If I purchased a vehicle & when the tires wear out I had to replace the chassis, I would expect a cautionary comment from a sales person of bold print about making such a ridiculous purchase. I expect better from corporations & people, I suppose it is part of my naïveté. Fool me twice Shame on Me !

I will attempt to not be fooled by Dometic again

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I got nowhere with Dometic with their ridiculous setup and seals that go bad quickly. I could have chased it under warranty, but I just moved on to Thetford (with a unit where the seal can be replaced).

The Thetford also has a holding tank significantly larger than the 3.2gals as opposed to the Dometic 2.5gal. The Thetford is larger and seemingly will be a better fit. It just fits under our cabinet that is 13.25" high "clear".

I did not like the seemingly way Dometic blew me off and have a corporate road block structure to ignoring to make things right. I will attempt to never buy from that company again (I only need to be bit once).

As for Thetford, well my 1st product I have purchased from them. Time will tell.

They suggest a special spray for the bowl/tank seal.

What do you campers use on your Thetford seals?

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,583 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience with Dometic. My Thetford is only 14 months old but I figure anything put on there is going to be ‘washed’ off so I don’t worry about it. This stuff likely doesn’t do anything to preserve the seal but does an amazing job on odor...well, as far as I can tell anyway.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
4,045 Posts
After replacing my seal a few months ago, I decided that because we're not doing any travelling right now, I'm leaving the sliding flap open to let the rubber seal sit without being pinched in place... should keep the runner from being deformed while not in use.

We'll see - first seal lasted 5 years with no grease, lubricant, or care.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What a bummer. I have same Dometic potty (never used) going into my new build. Thought I was a savvy shopper with the relatively good reviews on this model.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts