Ram Promaster Forum banner

Does your City idle loud/rough?

PM City 
19K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Baymond 
#1 ·
So I and others have noticed that my PMC runs rough/loud. Everything else is good, fuel economy etc. Just sounds terrible.

#4 ·
Mine is quiet inside the cab - but noticeable idle noise from the outside. I had someone pull up next to me in a parking lot while I was idling and asked if it was a diesel... Had to curse VW again for destroying the market. Can you imagine the 1.3 turboD in a PMC?!

#5 ·
The noise is definitely at the front center as your standing in front of it. I don't hear it in the cabin . First oil change dealer said the software needed updated and it made a difference but was still louder than what I remembered. Just git it back from different dealer after oil change and they said "that's how it sounds".

#11 · (Edited)
When I was dealing with a dying battery, I had a couple of incidents where the ECM didn't get initiated right and the idle was horrendous. It was mid-winter and I thot it was cold-bloodedness, but it only happened when I was hoppin' in and out on short runs, lots of starts with no charging, to speak of, in between. It had warmed up for most of them, so it may be a needed update on the electronics.

#6 ·
From day one up to now, there has been a distinctive increase in engine volume, inside and outside the cabin, from idle to acceleration. Nothing out of the norm in regards to normal wear and tear.
But I do remember when I bought it...I could barley hear it idling...most of the time I thought it wasn't on! I performed a 1000 mile break in period, which took less than a month to do.
At just over 19K and 14 months under my possession, it now has a growl under acceleration, and at idle, it sounds like most broken in 4 cylinder vehicles. No rough idling, just much louder.
And my daily commute to work is a 44 mile round trip uphill/downhill, over the mountain trek averaging 70 mph, which really puts the 2.4 and 9 speed through its paces.
But I can definitely say, I have not experienced any noise that would concern me, other than the broken sway bar link I encountered a few months back., which has since been fixed.

#7 ·
My 2015 does this too. The engine produces a lot of noise when idling, and vibrates a lot. I've noticed that it only vibrates when the brake pedal is depressed or when it is in park, doesn't happen while driving. Engine runs great but the vibration is pretty annoying. I'm taking it to the dealer this week for something unrelated, I'll ask them to check it out and report back.

#8 ·
Run rough/loud

I noticed mine sounding louder the other day. It was time to change the oil and I discovered it was low on oil. These engines burn oil even when they're brand new! I had put @ 5k miles on it since the last oil change and the level was just below the "low" mark on the oil stick. I'll be checking it more often now. It sounds much better and is running smoother.

#10 ·
I noticed mine sounding louder the other day. It was time to change the oil and I discovered it was low on oil. These engines burn oil even when they're brand new! I had put @ 5k miles on it since the last oil change and the level was just below the "low" mark on the oil stick. I'll be checking it more often now. It sounds much better and is running smoother.
When I bought my new 2015 pmc at the first oil change at 6k miles it was about a half a quart low,if that. I use Royal Purple and have since changed it twice,with zero loss. As for the noise,yeah,I believe that's the injectors making their noise. When on the hwy it is as smooth as silk and not noisy.

#12 ·
I purchased my 2017 PMC from an auction with 10,218 on the clock with what I would call a minor rear end impact. Other than cleaning it up (really bad), I was able to put it back together (virtually all the parts were in the cargo area) and get it back on the road for $86 and change. It had a rough idle and I got very nervous that it had some sort of front end issue which can happen at the auctions. I changed the oil and filter, cabin filter, and air filter. No change at all with the rough idle. I drove it around a little and the rough idle got a little bit more noticable. I just went on my first trip, around 800 miles, virtually all highway. It got really good mileage for doing almost 70MPH the whole way. When I got home last evening, I noticed the rough idle is now GONE .... I suspect the van sat for a long time in the auction yard and the gas may have gotten funky or got some bad gas prior to me getting the van. After 3 fill-ups, seemed to clean it out. I would try some long trips (relative term of course) and fresh gas and see what happens.

#17 ·
My 2016 has some vibration at idle. Also at first start in morning when taking off, it has this little hesitancy when shifting 1st gear....like a little cough. Fine rest of day. Same thing with brakes...always a bit grabby on first couple of stops until it warms up. Just the quirky personality of these little vans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.