Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed this particular CR Laurence window in the passenger side sliding door and/or the driver side panel right behind the seat?

CRL VW31031 Vertical Lift Van Window 17-15/16" x 21-9/16"

I've seen several photos online with these windows installed in the rear cargo doors, but I'm wondering if they'll fit and install easily in the side wall/sliding door.

TIA for your comments/suggestions!

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 159 HT
60 Posts
Has anyone installed this particular CR Laurence window in the passenger side sliding door and/or the driver side panel right behind the seat?

CRL VW31031 Vertical Lift Van Window 17-15/16" x 21-9/16"

I've seen several photos online with these windows installed in the rear cargo doors, but I'm wondering if they'll fit and install easily in the side wall/sliding door.

TIA for your comments/suggestions!
Noob here but from what I’ve seen, if you can cut it out, it can be installed. Having said that, it would be good if the center vertical support could be used some how for stability.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YolBolson, thanks for the words of support! Since I originally posted this question, we've found a firm in Reno that will install the 4 windows for us -- and our MaxxAir fan. Once done, I'll post some photos.

We're new to the more extensive side of DIY van conversion, and we just aren't comfortable cutting up the exterior walls of Promaster. ?

In the meantime, happy holidays everyone!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
If I remember correctly, there was 20" of clearance in width between the side and center support of the sliding door. I was looking for a window that size so I could have at least a partial view through that blind spot without removing the center brace.
But I decided it would be better to go with a full window and see as much as possible.
Anyway, it should fit, but I would find out if it has any amount of curve to the frame or if it's flat. It might be a pain to seal if the window frame is perfectly straight.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RnR, good point. Before getting the window installed, I'll be sure to discuss with the installer. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 2500 159" diesel
83 Posts
YolBolson, thanks for the words of support! Since I originally posted this question, we've found a firm in Reno that will install the 4 windows for us -- and our MaxxAir fan. Once done, I'll post some photos.

We're new to the more extensive side of DIY van conversion, and we just aren't comfortable cutting up the exterior walls of Promaster. ?

In the meantime, happy holidays everyone!
What's the firm & how much did they quote you? I'm in Chico and am looking for a good body shop. Reno isn't too far.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mitchel_lee, let me get back to you on this so that I can make sure I've got the details right. And I can't say that I'd recommend them or not as yet, because we haven't gotten the work done.

The name of the firm is Campfyre Vans @ http://campfyre.com/

We've asked them to install the 4 CRL windows and a MaxxAir MaxxFan Deluxe for us ... and we'll do the rest of the work. So far our contact at Campfyre has been good to work with. Once the windows arrive at the shop we'll be able to schedule a day or two soon to get them installed.

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 2500 159" diesel
83 Posts
mitchel_lee, let me get back to you on this so that I can make sure I've got the details right. And I can't say that I'd recommend them or not as yet, because we haven't gotten the work done.

The name of the firm is Campfyre Vans @ http://campfyre.com/

We've asked them to install the 4 CRL windows and a MaxxAir MaxxFan Deluxe for us ... and we'll do the rest of the work. So far our contact at Campfyre has been good to work with. Once the windows arrive at the shop we'll be able to schedule a day or two soon to get them installed.
Cool, always nice to know about local van shops that are open to doing piecemeal jobs. Lots of shops will only do the full conversions ($50-80k quoted estimates). Hope it goes well!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's an update, more than a month after the fact...but better late than never! As I mentioned above, my wife and I headed from the Oakland Bay Area to Reno, where we had a place to stay with a relative, to get windows and a fan professionally installed. The next day we dropped our most humble 2019 Promaster off with the small, friendly crew at Campfyre Vans @ CampFyre Vans

I say "humble" and very much mean it, because the guys at Campfyre customize amazing, high-end, off-road van conversions. Huge vehicles that dwarf my 136" low top. Vehicles that seemingly could go wherever they wanted to in the wild. Stunningly beautiful beasts.

Anyway, Campfyre was willing to put a day's work into our van, and when we saw the completed job we got the impression that they did the work with all the care and professionalism that they put into the rigs costing many tens if not several hundred thousands of dollars.

We were very pleased with the workmanship and the new look of the van when we picked it up later that same day.

My wife and I had selected four identical CRL VW31031 Vertical Lift Van Window 17-15/16" x 21-9/16" to be installed. They do have a slight curve, and so they fit perfectly into the vertical walls of the van as shown above. This photo shows three of the windows. There is a fourth identical one in the side panel right behind the driver's seat and opposite the slider window. And the MaxxAir MaxxFan is installed on the roof, toward the back, just aft of the center ceiling rib.

With the windows and the MaxxFan spec'd, Campfyre ordered the parts for us, and from what we could tell, the prices they quoted us were right in line with other estimates that we'd received. The total cost for parts (4 CRL windows and the MaxxFan) plus labor came to approximately $2K. Expensive in some respects, I guess, but worth it for us because we really couldn't have done this job ourselves -- or at least not as well as Campfyre did. Best of all, the experience working with the team at Campfyre left us with the confidence that we'd chosen ultimate professionals to do a very high-quality job well done.

Like most high-end conversion shops (I imagine), and especially small companies like Campfyre, one does need to be patient in terms of scheduling. And we did have to follow up ourselves when there was a lull in the communications about the estimated arrival of the parts order. It's important to know that at least some of the guys at Campfyre drive their own off-road beasts, that they live in Reno because they love heading out into the desert or the mountains, so when the snow falls in the winter, for example, and the powder is new and pristine and waiting for them, they do like to head out and enjoy it. Which might have an impact on their job scheduling. (Ya think?)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Can you post closer pics of the slider door window and from the interior too?
Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure. Will post window pics from the inside in the next day or two. The good news: my wife and I are making great progress on our build out! It took three days for me to cut out the 1/8" Baltic birch panels that we'll install on the interior, but that's done now. Just have to apply a few coats of Verithane and finish up a few things that the panels will cover up -- insulation, the wiring for the fan, header and footer supports for the floating bed platform etc.. I'll start another discussion with the build out details. One that will document a modest, more simple build out compared to the many stunning, more professional DIY build outs that members of this forum have created for themselves.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RnR, here are the photos you asked for. The one of the exterior slider door window is not a great photo -- lots of reflection on the silver body on this lovely winter day in the Bay Area. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Thanks for that.
They look good.
Does the window in the slider seem sufficient at alleviating the blind spot?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RnR, nope. Doesn't really help at all. But to be honest, I find that I'm getting quite used to the passenger side mirror and the view it offers. That, and I'm extra careful to use my blinker and give myself...and any vehicle behind me in the next inside lane...lots of room before I move over. :cool:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Does it help at all with a better view of traffic from the right at a crossroad?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does it help at all with a better view of traffic from the right at a crossroad?
RnR, shortly after replying to your question about the windows helping with blind spots, I realized that I should have mentioned how the window right behind the driver seat is actually a BIG help.

I can easily glance back now to check the lane to my left on a highway or city street. And where it really helps is when merging onto a road or on-ramp when coming in on an acute angle. The side mirror alone just doesn’t cut it, nor does the driver’s side window alone unless I lower it and crane my neck outside and look back towards any on- coming cars. But with the new window behind me I now have decent view.

So that window is a huge help.

And the ones in back aren’t as helpful as I thought they’d be. There’s too much space between them to get a very good look backwards at the lane I’m in.

Overall I’d say I’m pleased with how they look, pleased with the light and ventilation they provide for us when inside, but with the exception of the window right behind the driver, they’re not much of an improvement when it comes to visibility of the traffic around me when driving.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those windows look awesome. Great choices.
Thanks! We think so, too. They're a big improvement over the bare bones tin can that we purchased. And we're still working hard on the build out so that we can actually hit the road for some long trips.

[BTW, love your profile image, Baxsie!]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts