Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my PM last week. Using the upfit money to get a coleman rear roof a/c and 2.8 onan generator installed. I read in this forum a few weeks ago that the PM has an extra "nipple" on the gas tank already for generator connections and such. Does anybody know if this is true and where can I find a schematic or picture of where on the tank it is located. Do they have to drop the tank to access it?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
24 Posts
I finally got my PM last week. Using the upfit money to get a coleman rear roof a/c and 2.8 onan generator installed. I read in this forum a few weeks ago that the PM has an extra "nipple" on the gas tank already for generator connections and such. Does anybody know if this is true and where can I find a schematic or picture of where on the tank it is located. Do they have to drop the tank to access it?
Thanks in advance
I would like to know this as well.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I am curious as to where you are going to mount the generator. I like the idea, most likely out of my budget but really excited to see how this works out, please share. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Second fuel line tap for generator

I would like to know this as well.
Yes The Ram Promaster has an extra "nipple" on the gas tank to accommodate a generator gas line. It is very easy to access. Unscrew the floor panel located inside the vehicle next to the driver seat. Locate a round metal circle plate which you will see as soon as you unscrew the panel. The round metal plate has 2 screws. Unscrew the round metal plate and you will see and have easy access to the second fuel line tap. :)

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts

Here it is. There is a cap with a sliding snap ring that you pull out then lift the
cap off, Easy!
Note ,you can not get at the third screw because of the seat ,but leave it in and lift up
the panel.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Not sure how far the gas tube goes to the bottom of the tank.
This prevents it from sucking your gas tank dry, then you would be stranded.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is the secondary fuel tap 1/4" or 3/8". Is it worth it to install a fuel filter? I am connecting a honda eu2000i generator and will be using the extended run cap to connect a fuel line to the secondary fuel tap. I guess I will go remove the carpet and take a look and report back, but it would be great if someone beat me to the answer. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
It is not 3/8 or 1/4 but is metric between them. Since it is a barb fitting I used a 1/4 in tube and clamped it down. The barb is covered on the diesel by a simple cap with a green tab across the barb's cap to keep it on. Releasing that lets the cap slide off. The gasoline PM tank may have other issues as I am sure there is a vacuum run on the tank to collect vapors and process them through the charcoal canister. Opening the barb fitting may allow back flow of air so you may need a check valve and pump to get the fuel to your generator. I have no knowledge of this, I am just speculating. On the diesel no problem siphon to start and flow.
Good luck.

Reactions: twicken2

·
Registered
21 Posts
My hope is that the extended run cap on the generator takes the place of the vented cap so that it will pull fuel in as it is used instead of air. Thank you for mentioning the check valve, I want to take all precautions. Maybe I need to use a vacuum siphon to get the gas started, so maybe I need to install that inline.

·
Registered
120 Posts
does anyone have an update on whether you need a check valve and pump ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm hooking up a diesel Onan gen set...yes information about the Promaster's AUX fuel port is readily to be found. However, a diesel system requires a return fuel line that goes back to the PM's tank. I can't find any advice on the best location to tap a return line from the generator. My concerns are about loosing pressure? and setting off alarms? Can anyone confirm where the best location to tap into would be...regarding a fuel return line? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It is not 3/8 or 1/4 but is metric between them. Since it is a barb fitting I used a 1/4 in tube and clamped it down. The barb is covered on the diesel by a simple cap with a green tab across the barb's cap to keep it on. Releasing that lets the cap slide off. The gasoline PM tank may have other issues as I am sure there is a vacuum run on the tank to collect vapors and process them through the charcoal canister. Opening the barb fitting may allow back flow of air so you may need a check valve and pump to get the fuel to your generator. I have no knowledge of this, I am just speculating. On the diesel no problem siphon to start and flow.
Good luck.
Thanks for the good info, RD. That's 1/4" inner diameter right? Did you get a good fit on the barb or are you totally dependent on the clamp to seal it? Anything I need to consider as far as tube material for diesel line?

Getting ready to tackle an xc duo install myself and I'm a little intimidated :eek:

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,376 Posts
I'm hooking up a diesel Onan gen set...yes information about the Promaster's AUX fuel port is readily to be found. However, a diesel system requires a return fuel line that goes back to the PM's tank. I can't find any advice on the best location to tap a return line from the generator. My concerns are about loosing pressure? and setting off alarms? Can anyone confirm where the best location to tap into would be...regarding a fuel return line? Thanks in advance.
Here's a drawing of the diesel fuel tank. It appears their is a return line from the upper fill tube to the top of the pump. That would be my chose.
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/iph/iph2014/ph2014/phvan/phdocs/vf/phffpla.pdf

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
Correct-inside. Just ask for fuel line at an auto parts store not some generic tube from a hardware store. Yes the clamp had to do the squeeze on the brass elbow for me but it holds a slight vacuum as the siphon has not been lost for well over a year and should never be a problem. Follow the directions, you will be fine. It’s just a process and if you do each step well you are going to be fine! Best luck, show us pictures.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts