Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new promaster a couple weeks ago. In the process of building it out for my business and am really happy with it. The backup camera at night however looks terrible. Is this normal or do I have an issue with mine. I've attached a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow! No, ours does not. I am continually amazed at the view, clarity, and wide angle WITHOUT fisheye of the OEM back up camera in ours. I go from bright sunlight into a shaded building bay quickly and easily, camera instantly adapts. I can't imagine why yours is like that. Mine is a 2014.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is a 2017, no complaints during the day but at night it's got that blue haze over everything and it's very hard to see.

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
409 Posts
I'd suggest getting somebody to stand at the back, at night, when you switch to reverse. My suspicion is that you are getting light leakage from the third brake light. Alternatively: the camera is supposed to switch to monochrome at night to increase sensitivity, and it may be that the camera is failing to do so.

You can also check if the brakes are off (shut the engine down, or don't start it in the first place). See if that clears this up.

Also: the light pattern on the ground looks different - do you perhaps have something like a light in the trailer hitch?

·
Registered
473 Posts
There is no 3rd brake light on the ProMaster. It is over 80" wide so it is not required to have a 3rd brake light.

That is approximately what mine looks like at night. Hard to tell from the picture, it's pretty grainy, but the reverse lights do light up the area behind the van decently and stepping on the brakes adds a red hue to everything. Mine seems to light it up a bit better.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wow! No, ours does not. I am continually amazed at the view, clarity, and wide angle WITHOUT fisheye of the OEM back up camera in ours. I go from bright sunlight into a shaded building bay quickly and easily, camera instantly adapts. I can't imagine why yours is like that. Mine is a 2014.
mine looks mostly like dibilik1, take a picture of yours to show us what they should look like. thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd be lying if I said that I move ours at night a lot. But I have, several times, pre dawn and post dusk long trips to pick up special materials. I had no complaints of the backup camera and remember no blue hue. I do pull in, and have recently, to the building at night with no power during an outage. No blue hue.

since I may not use the van in the actual dark for some time, and forget to take pics, I did four today backing into a overhead door into the shop from bright sun into a shop that had no lights on, but does have two skylights on the far end of the building by the old Ford you'll see, and further away.

As you can see, the transition is great, the camera adapts and even makes it look like we turned lights on in the building. We didn't.

OH and BTW, there's dust on the camera lens, we drove down 12 miles of white rock roads with it today. Terrible fine white dirt/dust. Need to wipe it off of the lens, and still looks good to me.

Hopefully this is helpful for the moment. Sorry for not better clarity, I was snapping pics, and trying to get out of someone else's way at the same time. lol

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts