Ram Promaster Forum banner

Does Dodge think Promaster is a Porsche?

831 Views 18 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  ard00d
I have a 2015 Diesel 3500 with 60k miles. Asked a local dealer (S FL) for estimates on some repairs/maintenance and got the following:

1) Fuel Filter Change - $450
2) Spare Tire Winch Cable: $600
3) Calibrate Tire Pressure down to 55psi: $200
4) Stock Rear shocks $975

Are these people "High"? $625 in labor to change stock rear shocks!!!! Wow - I think it would be cheaper to own a Carrera but tough to sleep in it ;-)
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
465 Posts
Bilstein B4's for the rear are running $65 each now. They are styled "oem replacement" but are a better riding, longer lasting shock than what the factory installed. I bet you could find an independent shop to install them for $200, even in S Fla. That's $330, give or take, a third of your dealer's estimate.

Like savings could no doubt be found for the fuel filter change.

Resetting the TPMS threshold? Put a piece of tape over the dash TPMS light and check your tire pressure every couple of weeks with a gauge. You can get a nice sticker instead of a piece of tape for some panache!

The spare tire winch cable is a unicorn, you are unlikely to find an indy with experience in that particular job and it may well end up costing you a silly amount. A silly amount, but less than $600, methinks.

At the end of the day RAM dealerships at large don't have a stellar reputation for excellence, or even competence, when it comes to Promasters. I think @MsNomer is right, and even if not, you could save a bundle going elsewhere.

· Premium Member
2021 3500 Extended
850 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but I would tackle all of those things on your list. As far as the spare tire cable, it just bolts on(I had mine off when installing the hitch) & is a self contained unit, so order a used one off fleabay or other sites and swap it out yourelf.

google: Genuine Mopar Spare Tire Hoist 68421527AA

15 min install

Even if you have to buy tools/jack/jackstands, you will be way ahead of the game.

· Registered
2017 - 2500 159
2,033 Posts
I'm always amazed at how auto shop labor prices have decreased in the 20 years I've been driving despite some 60% inflation.

That rear shock quote is about what it cost me in labor to replace shocks and struts and balance and install 4 new tires.

· Registered
644 Posts
As @Kip-on-truckin points out in his video about dealers, the service department is now the profit center for most brands these days. The overhead at dealerships is jaw dropping (and getting worse), and they have to charge more than ever to cover costs. Absolutely look for an independent repair shop with a good reputation. They deserve your business.

· Registered
2021 3500 extended in Michigan
365 Posts
As Motor7 said, the spare tire lift is an easy install assuming it's the same part as the gassers and your bolts aren't rusted badly. I had mine replaced in about 15 minutes and didn't need to jack the van. The latest part number is 68286776AB (for my '21) and is available for $170 or so online. . The manual says to listen for three clicks after the tire is up against the van floor but when my tire was fully up I kept pushing with no clicks and actually broke the lift. The dealer replaced it but told me to just winch the tire up until it was snug against the floor.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone- good to get a reality check.
I have done shocks before and have been meaning to invest in jack stands anyway. I have rivnut tools so can take care of the tire cable too. Saw a few youtubes on how to change the fuel filter for the diesel - doesnt seem like rocket science unless bolts are seized on the housing.
I have a TPMS gizmo on my dash that shows tire pressures and temp in real time - solar and works like a champ (saw it on this forum's gadget section- so thanks!).

Where you seeing the Bilstein B4s so cheap?

· Registered
850 Posts
The diesel fuel filter is available as a complete assembly for a few bucks more, IIRC I paid $105 for the ease of swapping canisters versus wrestling a snog slobber unit apart and back in.. .

Pre-fill the new unit and bolt it up - then have the convenience of refurbishing the old cast aluminum housing at ones leisure - imagine truly watered fuel and freezing temperatures or racing to meet an arrival/delivery date AND side-of-the-road repair... The original becomes the spare once cleaned etc. without worrying about o-rings with frostbit fingers : )

· Registered
2017 159" High Roof
594 Posts
I have a 2015 Diesel 3500 with 60k miles. Asked a local dealer (S FL) for estimates on some repairs/maintenance and got the following:

1) Fuel Filter Change - $450
2) Spare Tire Winch Cable: $600
3) Calibrate Tire Pressure down to 55psi: $200
4) Stock Rear shocks $975

Are these people "High"? $625 in labor to change stock rear shocks!!!! Wow - I think it would be cheaper to own a Carrera but tough to sleep in it ;-)
My PM conversion will take any Porsche in the quarter mile even while my wife is brewing coffee in the back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts