Ram Promaster Forum banner

Does anyone carry extra propane?

1468 Views 29 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  RV8R
I recently camped in 20degrees and the propane heater on my 2019 BANFF ran constantly. I got paranoid that my 5.9 onboard tank (which only fills to 3/4) would run out so i was going out to fill it often. It was a pain. Using the connector for a propane grill, i could reverse the flow and hook up to a 20 tank. But i would have to carry it outside. Does anyone do this?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
6,172 Posts
Hi,
This is what Rhino has to say about it:

The idea that they reduced the quantity because to inflation does not make sense. Why not just raise the price if they have to, but keep filling them full. Selling part full cylinders does not help anyone.
If they keep up this policy, in 30 years their refill tanks will only have a couple lbs of propane in them :)
My guess is that they think no one pays any attention and the part full tanks let them scam a few more bucks out of us.

Gary
We know of at least 2 who are paying attention 😁

· Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
6,172 Posts
I typically fill our 20lb bbq propane tanks @ Costco Victoria, as they charge per weight ,,, not per fill.

Prices have increased about 30% to 40% since before the Russian attack on the Ukraine, as it use to be less than $1.00 per L or pound.

Font Number Screenshot

· Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
6,172 Posts
I recently camped in 20degrees and the propane heater on my 2019 BANFF ran constantly. I got paranoid that my 5.9 onboard tank (which only fills to 3/4) would run out so i was going out to fill it often. It was a pain. Using the connector for a propane grill, i could reverse the flow and hook up to a 20 tank. But i would have to carry it outside. Does anyone do this?
To OP @mrlynch1953

I am not familiar with the “2019 Banff”, or the factory setup.

I believe what you are proposing would not be that difficult.

IMO, there are 2 things for you to sort out;

1) How to carry a 20lb tank outside your van (if you do not want an inside vented propane locker).
2) How to integrate an external backup propane supply once your onboard (assume under chassis) tank runs out.

Exterior Tanks; Roof / Rear Doors / Tow Hitch Custom Thang ??

Backup Hookup; Into Filler Fitting onboard tank / Separate exterior regulator “T’d” into the low pressure with shut off valves & a quick connect fitting

I would consult an RV shop who does gas lines & see what they would propose as an alternative backup system.

· Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
6,172 Posts
“Propane & Price & A Full Tank”

A Gallon of Gasoline or a Gallon of Propane ,,, We think of buying gas & propane in volume, but I believe we actually purchase both in weight “Canada & USA” ,,, or another way to look at it is we purchase “specific energy”

Further, I believe in Canada we buy gas or propane “corrected to 15C” & in the USA is it corrected to “25C or 77F”? 🤔

So to complicate, propane purchase, the “tank” can only be filled to 80% of what ,,, weight? ,,, Ok @ what temperature 😁.

I think this is a decent website if anyone is interested in such things;

We were on the road for 11 days & used the propane heater every night & got the tank “filled up” today;

Font Receipt Publication Paper Number

So 12.20 L is 3.22 gals & @ 15C should be about 13.5lbs out of a total of I assume 16lbs or the tank was 85% depleted & 15% remained. So under those conditions 11 days divided by 85% = about 13 days use out of a full 20lb tank (which holds 16lbs).

11 days of furnace heat cost us $11.60 CAN or $1.05/day.

· Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
6,172 Posts
We carry two 20# tanks in a skoolie. The essence of the arrangement is a loosely sealed locked located halfway between the wheels with a floor vent and a propane detector. A 'Y' harness arrangement feeds into a split allowing both a regulated line and a pressure line for appliances that come with their own regulators. Was a pain in the butt to get all those connectors to match, but now the arrangement feeds a water heater, a propane Mr. Heater, a countertop range and has the option to feed our double-fuel generator should I need it to. Space needed for the system itself was barely more than the two tanks take up.
Cool ,,, got a photo you can post?

Also have you posted the required intro to join the forum? If not please go here, read up, & perform your intro;

· Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
6,172 Posts
this is awesome! Thanks for the share
If you have not read thru this “Gadget Report” thread, I think the “Mopeka” & 100s more are reported upon. Good thread to read if you are building 👍;

1 - 7 of 7 Posts