Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my last visits to my Chrysler dealer for service, I didn't see a single new Promaster on the parking lot. Same thing for that dealer I drive by sometimes.

Wondering if it is a general trend. Seems to me that if you want to sell them, you got to have at least one on the lot for visibility.

·
Registered
121 Posts
One of the dealers by me hides them all in the back of the dealership. Same thing with a local ford dealership. Others that are known to be contractor friendly proudly display their vans.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Local Dodge Dealership here had 6 back at start of 2015. They all went missing last summer from the lot.
Noticed a cargo model with added roof air sitting at very back line of Service Dept for last couple weeks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My dealer here in Houston parks them in the cheap seats. My thinking is they are so big/wide makes more sense to load up the front of dealership with more sharper looking vehicles to draw potential customers in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That is what I noticed lately. I travel a lot and when I go by a dealership I look for big vans. I used to see more promasters last year than now.

·
Super Moderator
10,684 Posts
All three of my local dealers have a good supply and they put them right out front.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just a side note: I noticed MB now giving rebates of $2500.00 on Sprinter vans. MB never gives rebates at least when I bought mine. I wonder if the competition Ford/Ram commercial vans is having an impact on their sales hence the incentives? I guess payback is ****!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
The small dealer near my home typically has 2 or 3, and they are usually parked at front. The large dealer near my parents' usually has over a dozen -- probably closer to 20 -- and every single one has been white and parked at back (although more visible from main road). They also had a couple of conversion ProMasters parked in front of dealer by showroom entrance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Our local dealer always has a few off to the side. Like a small herd of elephants!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've been looking online and came across a couple of dealers with 10-20 promasters in stock, including a dealer in Florida with a 3500 extended window van, which is a new model for 2016.

I have yet to find a dealer with a swivel seat optioned promaster of any size yet.

·
Registered
552 Posts
http://www.31dodge.com has 19 listed on their web site.

http://www.davesmith.com has 45 listed on their web site

http://www.bluebonnetchryslerdodge.net has 18 listed on their web site

http://www.dodgeofburnsville.com/ has 37 listed on their web site.

These are just a few to get you going! I have noticed that some dealers had no imagination when it came to ordering trucks. They made up one configuration then ordered quantity 10. It's also interesting to see the trends in various regions. Several of the PM's in the north east all had the double seat and a cargo partition as standard. In the Idaho area, almost every truck had the optional smokers group but very few had heated seats. In Florida.. seriously, Florida, I found 4 with heated seats.

I wonder if sales managers actually look at what they are ordering or if they just randomly enter 3 letter codes and see what they end up with. I've seen a few that have no rear window, and a partition with no window, yet they have a mirror. I found a window van with the "rear view mirror delete" option. WTF?

It's strange..

·
Registered
279 Posts
I might be wrong about this, but I think the typical cargo van buyer knows about the Promaster. There no reason to display in them in the front of the dealership, and block the view of a Ford Mustang buyer, that might get swooned by the bright orange Dodge Charger, as he passes by the dealership. Cars are often purchased solely by their appearance, so it makes sense to put them on display.
Cargo van buyers usually have a laundry list of needs, exterior appearances usually are not at the top of the list. Makes sense to store them as far back as they can.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I might be wrong about this, but I think the typical cargo van buyer knows about the Promaster. There no reason to display in them in the front of the dealership, and block the view of a Ford Mustang buyer, that might get swooned by the bright orange Dodge Charger, as he passes by the dealership. Cars are often purchased solely by their appearance, so it makes sense to put them on display.
Cargo van buyers usually have a laundry list of needs, exterior appearances usually are not at the top of the list. Makes sense to store them as far back as they can.
If they tried to make them look as good as a Mustang or Charger, maybe they would sell more of them. And they wouldn't need to hide them at back of lot.:)

Granted they are work trucks for most part, but I doubt they spend much effort or capital on styling.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Let me REMEMBER my lurking STORY.
December 2014 I sold my Dodge-Sprinter-2500 2006y made.
Been looking for a new Sprinter around. Found = with RE-badging to Mercedes my service-center went even far.
Start looking for a Ford van. Visited Ford and near by FORD in a Dodge lot found a van with diesel motor, but it was short WB.
So, I've got my PM just looking around. But, the bottom line, IF I have service center in my city, I'd buy a Sprinter

·
Registered
338 Posts
Let me REMEMBER my lurking STORY.
December 2014 I sold my Dodge-Sprinter-2500 2006y made.
Been looking for a new Sprinter around. Found = with RE-badging to Mercedes my service-center went even far.
Start looking for a Ford van. Visited Ford and near by FORD in a Dodge lot found a van with diesel motor, but it was short WB.
So, I've got my PM just looking around. But, the bottom line, IF I have service center in my city, I'd buy a Sprinter
Let me translate: sold you Sprinter. Looked again at Sprinters but the dealership was too far away. You looked at Fords had a diesel on lot but wrong wheelbase so you ended up with a PM. Curious, why would buy another Sprinter over the PM?

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If they tried to make them look as good as a Mustang or Charger, maybe they would sell more of them.
Or maybe they would sell less of them.

It's all a matter of personnal taste, but I think the PM is the best looking in its category. But I çan see why some people don't like it: a friend of mine once told me that the PM is basically a square box with wheels on it.

My main criteria when I was shopping for a van was the cargo volume/van length ratio: I want to be able to pack a lot of stuff and still use a normal parking spot. The best way to achieve this is to put wheels on a box and this is exactly what they did!

A Mustang or a Charger sure look good to some, but I would never buy one, I need something I can put my windsurfing stuff in it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think the PM is beautiful. Elegant in its simplicity.
Ms, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I personally like the way it looks over the MB and Transit. But the real closer for me is how it handled.
The dealer hear in So. Cal. that I have service my PM keeps there inventory in the back lot and all the flashy Chargers and monster 4X's in front!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts