Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you have the Curt or factory hitch?

I have a question regarding the Curt hitch, or even the factory hitch. Can someone who has it installed take picture of it from directly above the bumper? Also, can you measure how far the hitch sticks out past the bumper?

The reason I ask, I have a wheelchair lift in the rear of my ProMaster and need to know if installing this hitch would interfere with the lift. Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
KOV would do this but it’s 65º here in AZ this morning so I guess I better. It sticks out just under 1”

Reactions: sonicsix

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
Mine looks the same as RD's
I think I have the 13107 but I'd have to look it up.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Mine is 13107 I also see a lightweight one 13295 and Curt says 13207 fits the Promaster 3500 and is a heavy duty 6,000 lb trailer and 750 lb tongue load so there are three. I think the 13107 is the common one many of us have.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The hitch shares the stud holding the bumper in place, so if your lift also shares the use of that mounting point.....

I ran into that issue install a rear step.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ours looks the same as RDinNHandAZ picture above, and is Curt, the square tube model. We used ours as a base mount for a rear step, so we could have a step AND a hitch. Pics of our modification are in a string about rear steps, in case they're helpful to you. We also promptly modified our exhaust tip to extend down past the hitch box tube and our step, after seeing another members woes with the plastic step plate on the aftermarket step he bought. We were concerned that the Curt hitch would deflect heat up to the factory plastic bumper/step cover and melt it.

To me, it became apparent that the Fiat exhaust likely exited to the left of the vehicle, to be a passenger side exhaust exit in Europe, and it was modified to the rear for LH drive versions of the van. That effected some aftermarket bumper/step components that didn't consider the change. Thanks to this forum and the info sharing, we modified ours before a problem occurred.

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
To me, it became apparent that the Fiat exhaust likely exited to the left of the vehicle, to be a passenger side exhaust exit in Europe, and it was modified to the rear for LH drive versions of the van. That effected some aftermarket bumper/step components that didn't consider the change. Thanks to this forum and the info sharing, we modified ours before a problem occurred.
It may very well exhaust out the left side of the van in Europe but unless you are in the U.K. The left side is still the drivers side and not the passenger side.

I hope anyone that does use this Curt hitch replaces the original bumper bolts with longer and preferably higher grade ones. I did a write up on this very issue back in the summer of '14.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It may very well exhaust out the left side of the van in Europe but unless you are in the U.K. The left side is still the drivers side and not the passenger side.

I hope anyone that does use this Curt hitch replaces the original bumper bolts with longer and preferably higher grade ones. I did a write up on this very issue back in the summer of '14.
Apologies, I may have spoken a bit too generally.

·
Registered
468 Posts
whatever you do don't get the cheaper one get a hitch that mounts the the frame I have the cheaper one that bolts just where the bumper is and I bent it. waiting for the weather to break to install the draw tite model 75882. I have the curt model 13170 and its very flimsy and mine bent with a 200 lb hitch box. get the draw tite 75882 or the curt 13207. some sites like amazon say it wont fit the 159" wheelbase but it will fit all 2500 and 3500 159" WB, the only model it wont work on is the 3500 159" EXT model.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts