Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to install the OEM windows of the 159WB window van in the 136WB model? I haven't seen any window vans yet, but in looking at the basic panel-van, the sheet-metal appears recessed in the area where a window would be, such that, if the center of each region were cut out smartly, one might be able to simply bond the glass to what is left. This idea seems further supported when looking at a panel-van with the glass-equipped side sliding door. On close inspection, you can see the surface of the glass is proud of the sheet-metal surface behind it (where I am proposing to cut out for the window). On the driver's side, one would have to cut out two openings.

Without yet looking at a proper factory window-van (I believe they are just now starting to trickle into dealer lots), one question I have is how different (if at all) is the reinforcing structure behind the external sheet-metal. This might give some insight into whether this idea is viable, or I am just dreaming.

Also, this idea assumes that the glass is available for purchase at a RAM dealer's parts counter, and its cost is not prohibitive. It might take a few years before window vans show in in dismantling yards, from which to harvest used glass.

I'm intrigued by the idea of using an OEM-type approach, because I simply hate those universal-fit, cut-a-hole-and-clamp-it-in, style of windows used by many van and RV conversion companies. They never seem to fit right, and consequently look like sh*t, in my opinion. Or better yet, why doesn't RAM offer a window-van for order in more than just one size of van?

If anyone has any experience with this or other ideas, please share.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Those beams that run up and down can be removed to fit a window,they are there
to keep the thin sheet metal from flapping in the wind (would be like a giant drum).
The window is rigid and will not need them.
Your Idea seems to be a good one and If it were me and wanted to do it, I'd go for
it.
Have not gotten my van yet,so I am kind of a back yarder right now but looking at
inside pictures. It also looks like you can move the back beams over if have to.
I have done alot of body work and painting of vehicles in the past.

To cut out panel I would use WALTER zipcut cutting wheel not the cheap generic ones
as they create to much heat. (measure 5/6/7 times cut once!)

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you look closely at the window installation in a sliding door I'm guessing that's exactly how the official window vans will be done. I actually measured one and it appears the sliding door window would fit perfectly at all positions of a 136" except for the passenger rear where the door track is. I didn't lay a square on it, but the sides appear to be at perfect right angle front and rear. It's probably the same part number for the window in the right and left slider as well as the forward window in a 159" passenger.
If I wasn't waiting to see Transit I'd have already priced the glass. With Transit priced in the mid 30s for XLT wagon I don't see the PM competing on cost. You'd have to do all the glass, seats, HVAC, and interior on a MP for about $5K.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts