Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

My van has been converted into a camper van by a builder in another state. I paid the sales tax for that state, which is lower than my state.
  • When I register it as Camper Van at DMV, will my local DMV charge the difference of the sales tax of the two states?
  • would it be better to register the vehicle as a van and insure it as camper?

Thanks!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hi there,

My van has been converted into a camper van by a builder in another state. I paid the sales tax for that state, which is lower than my state.
  • When I register it as Camper Van at DMV, will my local DMV charge the difference of the sales tax of the two states?

Thanks!
In the vast majority of states you will only pay the difference between the sale tax rates, however I do believe that there may still be a few states without a sale tax reciprocity agreements. In that case, you may be on the hook for repaying the entire sales tax again, but it's highly unlikely. You should be able to call your state's DMV and ask if they have an agreement with the state where you purchased the van to find out for certain.

Whether or not you should register the van as an RV is totally dependent on which state you live in and how you'll be using it. First of all, it simply won't be an option is some states as they may only recognize the PM as a van and will refuse to change it. That being said, I'd recommend doing everything possible to avoid registering or insuring the van as a commercial vehicle. In some states this alone is a difficult, but should be easier for you as your van appears to be 1500 which is often recognized by state DMVs as a passenger vehicle when the 2500&3500 series often times are not. I'd also suggest anonymously calling insurance companies prior to attempting to change the registration and see what your options for insurance will be as an RV. In many cases it's extremely difficult to get converted vans insured as an RV and you don't want to burn your options by informing them that it is an RV and then going back and attempting to insure it as a van.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,472 Posts
Every state is different but you'll likely have to pay at least the difference when you go to register it. Try to call or go to their site online and research it, which may or may not address your specific questions clearly. Unfortunately, the only way to be certain in many states is to go down there in person and get in line (it will not be clearly indicated which line you need to go to first and each step of the way gets you to the back of the next line).

SC has vehicle sales tax capped at $500 but charges a significant property tax every year based on book value. Nearby GA had a similar annual property tax they called 'ad velorum' tax. Now they charge a significant ad velorum tax up front for the life of the vehicle when you register it regardless of when or how much you have already payed elsewhere (a shameless money grab) so hopefully you're not in GA.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there,

Thanks!
In my case, I live in CA, but bought the van new from a company that builds out vans in CO. CO didn’t charge me tax, so when I registered it in CA I paid the full CA tax rate. I had to show the lady doing my registration that I had a built in bed, and full camper van in order to be able to register the Van as an RV which saved me a couple thousand dollars vs. registering it as a commercial van. Make sure you’ve got internal pics showing that you’ve had the van converted to an RV if you don’t want to get stuck registering as a commercial van.
Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts