Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

I tried using the search functionality to find insights on a DIY roof rack, but didn't have much luck. Do any of you have any advice? I'm thinking of using unistrut with the Promaster roof attachments. Any pictures or advice is very much appreciated. Can't wait to share the rest of my build with you all.

TIA,
B

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing. Do you have any details on some of the hardware you used to connect the crossbars to the rails as well as connecting the solar panels?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Jagarcia89: Can I ask if it'd be a good idea to cut off that excess struts hanging off the side of the vehicle? Would that compromise the metal's integrity or something? It looks like you could cut it a little shorter to prevent wind drag, no? 'Pinch' the ends, cap them or something?

Personally, I'd like a cheap guide on building my own Sureshade awning... those are cool, but very expensive! They are mostly designed around their actuaters, I think...

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
We just received our first run of Promaster roof post attachment clips and are machining the black pads in-house. These were designed for our 8020 towers but will also work to mount a uni-strut or other suitable rail down the length of the van. The studs on our clips are 3" c/c so one of the slots in the uni-strut will need to be enlarged slightly to fit over them. We will have a kit specifically for using uni-strut which will have large washers due to the size of the slots.

Below are a couple of photos of the clips, pads, and hardware. I will get some longer uni-strut and fit it to the top of our van and take some additional photos. We are also working on using these for 8020 rails which are a little nicer looking than uni-strut. 8020 crossbars are also due this week so we will have those to use with our towers. (last photo)

I have asked Kim to add these items to our ebay store. The clips and hardware are stainless steel and the pads are expanded PVC. The uni-strut shown is the half height size (1.5" wide x 0.75" tall) and not included with out kits. I will figure out how long the pieces would need to be for each length Promaster.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

·
Registered
231 Posts
Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing. Do you have any details on some of the hardware you used to connect the crossbars to the rails as well as connecting the solar panels?

I used the vantech mounts. Heins were not available at the time. I initially did the unistrut as a cheap place holder for 8020 but nearly a year later and no rust. Also it’s nice to be able to run the hardware store for hardware and brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Jagarcia89: Can I ask if it'd be a good idea to cut off that excess struts hanging off the side of the vehicle? Would that compromise the metal's integrity or something? It looks like you could cut it a little shorter to prevent wind drag, no? 'Pinch' the ends, cap them or something?

Personally, I'd like a cheap guide on building my own Sureshade awning... those are cool, but very expensive! They are mostly designed around their actuaters, I think...

The black bars aren’t unistrut. They are roof rack load bars and don’t cause much drag at all. Also I have end caps for them. I’m leaving them at this length. It’s nice to be able to hand stuff from them and if I ever need to strap anything to the roof, this will make it easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Only difference is generic version will get larger washers that will be better with the large slots in the unistrut. We suggest sealing the unistrut slots above the mount so water doesn't get in and pool inside. There are drains but they could get blocked with debris over time. We will have some plates that we can use instead of washers in a few weeks. They will cover the slots in the unistrut.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has anyone done a DIY roof rack with anything other than Unistrut? Would love to see some more ideas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll be building a rack out of 8020 and attaching to the van with Vantech mounts (would've tried Hein's if they were available). I have all the stuff, just need the time to install. Hopefully I'll send along a build report and some photos in the next week or so.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I am working on a method to thru-bolt 8020 15 series LS rails onto our pads. It will require drilling holes in the rails. The 8020 4281 or 4296L brackets (shown below) would also work as a bolt on solution. They both a have a 3" bolt spacing that matches our pads. We will likely produce our own stainless steel L bracket as well so we can dial in the amount of lift and reduce costs a bit.
All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098

1 - 20 of 31 Posts