Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a fiat ducato (AUS rebrand of promaster) and i want to make some home made roof mount feet, so i can fix a solar panel system to the roof. i've seen DIYvan and vantech options but both are quite expensive including shipping to australia
so i want to know if anyone has any DIY options for roof mounts with minimal tools; i wanna attach to the integrated studs and work from there

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
What type of tools and materials do you have on hand or have easy access to?
I can't remember who did it, but I remember someone making their own.
Try searching "Diy roof racks" in the search bar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of tools and materials do you have on hand or have easy access to?
I have a drill, hacksaw, can buy standard alum or steel extrusions/tubes from hardware store. happy to buy a basic powerool that i can re-use later in the project

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
This is one that I found. Not the one I was remembering, but a very similar idea.

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
KOV and others did roof brackets with unistrut and would need nothing but the parts, a hacksaw, wrenches etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've made my own from aluminium angle profiles, T-Slot profile (80/20), bicycle inner tube, bolts and nylon-lock nuts:
www.promasterforum.com/threads/rhino-rack-vs-vantech.84687

While I do like it, it serves me well for more than to years and it was effortlessly transferred to my second van, if I would do it again, I might opt for a different type of mount using uni-struts: Low-Profile Unistrut Rails for Large Solar Panels or better yet custom made mounts Low-Profile Unistrut Rails for Large Solar Panels.

My only concern would be galvanic corrosion and/or rust of steel parts. Therefore I would insist on galvanized struts and stainless steel hardware.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts