Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going to try and do my own oil change, 2014 diesel. I read one post that a special tool is needed for oil drain bung ? Anyone out here that can let me know what tools I need, and how dufficult? Might not be worth trying to save 59 bucks ?
Thanks for any help
Is there a service manual anywhere online or pdf ?

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I posted. The drain plug is a large hex wrench, metric I believe 12mm (or possibly 13mm?), and that plug is in tight from the factory. Here is my post. EASY PEASY! A 10 minute job! There have been Ducato 3.0 Diesel vehicle manuals on CD-ROM on eBay from England but I don't know if they cover the "comfort shift" automated manual transmission as it is rare there. You won't need a manual to change the oil if you ever have done it on another vehicle.

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46545&highlight=diesel+change First post on that page.

Reprise: I found adding 9 qt of the Kendal was just right so I have 3 qt. left.

Oil:
$6.25/qt
Filter: https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/3_0l_diesel_promaster_oil_filters/
I bought two to make the shipping a bit more palatable. $14 each
Both of these are spec'd to meet Mopar standards. Total cost $71. Don't buy any synthetic oil as the particulate emissions system will supposedly degrade from the "normal synthetic" oil. EURO in the name seems to be the magic word. Anyone who is saying they can change your oil for $59 cannot be using the Mopar standard and I am not risking a warrantee issue for 20 bucks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also appreciate the links. I ordered some supplies.
Im nit quite to 5k miles. I think I can wait another month till its not quite so cold to change my oil in the driveway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did finally change the oil. Was pretty easy. Like mentioned above, hardest part was finding a 13 mm hex for the drain plug. The guy at home depot assured me "they dont make that size". Had to go to a couple different places to find one.

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
13 mm is probably one of the most common metric sizes and HD certainly carrries them. If you own a Promaster the first thing you should do is invest in a set of metric sockets, wrenches and Allen wrenches. You can but good sets for next to nothing anywhere these days and much of the hardware on so called "American" vehicles is metric specked today.

·
Registered
30 Posts
13 mm is probably one of the most common metric sizes and HD certainly carrries them. If you own a Promaster the first thing you should do is invest in a set of metric sockets, wrenches and Allen wrenches. You can but good sets for next to nothing anywhere these days and much of the hardware on so called "American" vehicles is metric specked today.
Actually the my tools are pretty much all metric, (I have Jap and Euro dirtbikes). But my biggest hex was a 12mm. Either way, I have a 13mm now.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It is FREE !!!! If you still in 24 month frame after your buy.
Dodge Offers 4 times FREE-Oil change for a first 2 years period since you got your van

·
Registered
4 Posts
When changing the oil, do we have to "tell" the Promaster that the oil was changed? If so, how?

I am thinking about an oil filter change reminder light that might show up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There is a method to restart the oil change count down . I believe you must turnkey to on position , and within 10 seconds slowly but deliberately fully depress accelerator pedal three times .That should do it . I always record mileage (old habits) rather then relying on the electronic reminders. I am not sure about a notification for just a filter change. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Started doing my own oil changes today.. my drain plug is 12mm! I bought 13mm for the job and ended up having to file it down. My drain plug was replaced by the dealer after it was ruined by them during an oil change, so maybe the newer plugs are different?

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
A stupid question perhaps but why didn’t you just use a 13 mm wrench?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just did my 2016 diesel PM. It is a 12mm hex key. I used that and a 1/2" drive ratchet.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
After doing three oil changes I must say this is the easiest to do of any vehicle I have had. I made a 12 mm hex wrench from a 1/2” one I had and my drain pan holds 10 qts. so all is good. The filter is EASY and the old oil goes into a rinsed 2-1/2 gal DEF jug which my recycler just takes. BTW I find 9 qts. just fills it to the dipstick mark and after 43K miles no oil burned so no extra has ever been added. The Kendall Euro spec seems to be doing it’s thing!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2015 Diesel, and my drain plug also takes a 12mm allen hex. The local auto stores also incorrectly spec'ed my drain plug thread pitch... Is a M22x1.5 (no the M14x1.5 that was mentioned on many sites)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts